Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony

Go down 
+11
Addy
ultmetal
James B.
GrandNational
XYZ
manny
akeldama
EvyMetal
mez
kmorg
Wargod
15 posters
AuthorMessage

Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Empty
PostSubject: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 11:51 am

Here's the section with Lars & James' speeches. Most impressive to me is James listing MANY of the bands we always complain that aren't in the hall of fame.

No matter what our feelings are on present day Metallica, they deserve the honor.

Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 12:03 pm

I agree with James on every band he mentioned plus a 100 others it is the rock and roll hall of fame not rap, country, R&B, but rock and roll and the pioneers who paved the path so to the academy please acknowledge what James has said!

I agree they deserve this induction.

Wargod50
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 12:16 pm

Thanks for posting this. I've waved my Metallica flag high since 1983, and never put it down. This was well deserved.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 12:46 pm

WOW!!!! That speech from James really placed a bunch of respect towards him! He really put his heart into it and also mentioned others who seem robbed of this award. He was everything cool and nothing self centered!
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 1:50 pm

I always thought Lars' dad was a peculiar fellow.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 1:52 pm

EvyMetal wrote:

The "Heavy Metal Gandalf" headbanger \'arry \'eadbanger 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 2:05 pm

EvyMetal wrote:

I posted the link on another board and received this response (when I commented on Lars mentioning Dexter Gordon and Miles in his speech).

"Nothing odd about Lars mentioning Dexter and Miles. His father, Torben
Ulrich (in the audience w. long hair and beard) is a clarinetist (among
many other worthwhile things) who had his own band and jazz club in
Copenhagen during the early Fifties. Torben was also an accomplished
tennis pro. He once told me that he was the first jazz musician to play
in Newport (it was tennis, of course).

Remember, too, that Lars is Danish and Dexter Gordon lived in Denmark at the time."
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 8:57 pm

Excellent speech, from both Lars and James, and thank you James for the shout out to KISS, Alice Cooper, Judas Priest, Motorhead, and the others you mentioned, it is nice to see that you remember and acknowledged your roots. My hats to the Metallica men and to the memory of Cliff Burton.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 9:30 pm

Great speech. I think St. Anger really brought these guys back down to earth, in that they seemed a little bit more blue collar than they were in the 90's. After the extreme beating they've taken over the years, it's good to see them loose and making great music again.

Btw, is James religious at all or something? He referenced a higher power in his speech.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 10:10 pm

I enjoyed their portion of the ceremony.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 10:37 pm

They didn't thank me for going to all the shows back in the day. Both in El Lay and the Bay Area, oh well. 🤘

For what it's worth, I am happy for them. The hall of fame is a joke and besides a handfull of songs here and there. My opinion is that Master of Puppets was the swan song for them.

We can hope they put out a quick follow up to the current crap while they are fresh off a tour and have a good vibe of energy goin' on. I think a cover cd of all Bay Area thrash bands would give them a good kick in the @$$ to get back true to form ?
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 7:57 am

xyz wrote:
Btw, is James religious at all or something? He referenced a higher power in his speech.

I think it is a result of the AA program he has gone through. He also has a tattoo of Jesus on his arm now, I believe.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 8:19 am

kmorg wrote:
xyz wrote:

I think it is a result of the AA program he has gone through. He also has a tattoo of Jesus on his arm now, I believe.

Higher power is most certainly an AA thing. He doesn't say who his higher power is in the speech, so it's hard to say whether or not he's "religious" or not.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 8:25 am

Quote :
I agree with James on every band he mentioned plus a 100 others it is the rock and roll hall of fame not rap, country, R&B, but rock and roll and the pioneers who paved the path so to the academy please acknowledge what James has said!

Without Blues, and other styles of music you would not even have Rock N Roll and without Rock N Roll you wouldnt have Heavy Metal. That's why other styles are incorporated because in one way or another they helped contribute to Rock. Personally I am glad RUN DMC got inducted. The Hall has a section devoted to Rap, but what is funny to me and Im not saying anyone is doing this but just from observations and thats people are quick to slam the RNR Hall of Fame but in the next breath smurfette and moan that a Non Rock act is inducted. Listen to some RUN DMC, Grandmaster Flash it sounds more rock than today's crapola.
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 8:33 am

Addy wrote:
Quote :

Without Blues, and other styles of music you would not even have Rock N Roll and without Rock N Roll you wouldnt have Heavy Metal. That's why other styles are incorporated because in one way or another they helped contribute to Rock. Personally I am glad RUN DMC got inducted. The Hall has a section devoted to Rap, but what is funny to me and Im not saying anyone is doing this but just from observations and thats people are quick to slam the RNR Hall of Fame but in the next breath smurfette and moan that a Non Rock act is inducted. Listen to some RUN DMC, Grandmaster Flash it sounds more rock than today's crapola.

100% agree, my problem with R n R Hall of Fame is that for the most part alot of worthy hard rock/heavy metal have been more overlooked, but I have no problem RUNDMC and Madonna being inducted into the Hall.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 9:03 am

I liked how Jason gave a shout out to Flotsam and Rob gave one to Mike Muir and Suicidal. It would have been cool to see Mustaine there...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 9:06 am

ultmetal wrote:
kmorg wrote:
xyz wrote:

Higher power is most certainly an AA thing. He doesn't say who his higher power is in the speech, so it's hard to say whether or not he's "religious" or not.

He was raised Christian Science but obviously rejected that belief. His current higher power is most likely loosely Christian based but who knows how much.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 am

manny wrote:
Addy wrote:
Quote :

100% agree, my problem with R n R Hall of Fame is that for the most part alot of worthy hard rock/heavy metal have been more overlooked, but I have no problem RUNDMC and Madonna being inducted into the Hall.

I knew there was a reason why I thought you were cool Manny hehe, my prob with the whole concept of the Hall is that its too commercial
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 9:30 am

Here is Eddie Trunk's account of the day, taken from his website:

As for the Hall and Metallica, I just got back a couple hours ago. What a weekend! Flew to Cleveland straight from Ft Lauderdale Friday and checked into the hotel where the band put all their guests. In total Metallica flew in 150 people that they felt were important to their career early on. To have been included in this group was an unreal honor! Lars mentioned this during his speach at the induction. Many of the people were old friends who I had not seen in ages, all bonded by being there for Metallica in one way or another when they were nothing. Charlie and Scott from Anthrax were there, as was Brian Slagel from Metal Blade. The four of us hung out all weekend at the various parties and events. Friday night Metallica hosted a private party at the House Of Blues for everyone. Amazing time. Ton of food and drinks and great stories. All of Metallica was there, Jason Newstead, pretty much everyone ever in Metallica but Mustaine, who was invited but did not attend. They invited even the real early members as well, Ron McGovney, etc. In addition to all these people the party was also attended by Jimmy Page and Joe Perry! Yes, you heard me right, Page and Perry hanging out!! Now Metallica are obvious mega, but when Page and Perry walk in even they stop and take pictures. Incredible! I know Joe from doing several things with him and Asmith over the recent years so we chatted for a bit. He told me live Aerosmith shows coming, but new music on hold. He also told me he is doing a new solo CD that will be much more hard rocking than the last one. Good news! I was this close to talking to Page when his handler pulled him out. Also, if your wondering about pictures from all this, Metallica management requested that the guests refrain from photos. Their point was we were all friends of the band which is why we were invited and they wanted it to be a loose hang. There were photographers there hired by them so many shots exist. I get why they did this and was happy to oblige, but many produced cameras anyway when Page and Perry showed up. Spoke to Newstead for a while. Great guy, been busy with Voivod. He has many physical ailments from banging his head on stage and told me playing live is hard and painful, but he is trying to rehab. Also spoke to current Metallica bassist Rob Trujillo. We talked about the Ozzy years and more. Another super nice guy. Saw all the members of the band and chatted with everyone over the weekend. Kirk and I talked a long time about UFO and Scorpions. He is a fellow UFO freak so we bonded big time. As a matter of fact he gave me his info and wants to do my radio show at some point and just talk UFO and old school hard rock! I look forward to that big time. Of course Lars, who I know best, was the life of all parties. He was last to close the bar at both parties Friday and Saturday night and just a blast. When I thanked him for having me he looked at me like I was crazy; "are you kidding, your a huge part of this", he said. Blew me away! To have this kind of respect is insane to me. In the last year Judas Priest played a private show for me, Rush came to my TV show as a favor for me, and Metallica toom me to their Hall induction. I am blessed, honored, and grateful beyond belief to have this kind of respect from LEGENDS! Especially when you consider I have been outspoken about some things dealing with Metallica recently. The fact that they respect opinions and don't hide from those critical is such an incredible trait for a band that big. At the private event I was asked to make a speach in front of everyone about Metallica and could not resist; in front of everyone, including members of the Hall, I ended it by saying; "so congrats guys, you must be so thrilled to enter a Hall that has your heroes in it like Kiss, Alice, Rush, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple....oh wait, well at least they got one right!". It was awesome but many did not get the joke because they could not believe those bands were not in! Lars loved it. Lars told me an idea he had about a possible package tour he's thinking about at some point that would be INSANE, but as he was saying it he looked at me and said, "not for the public yet Trunk!". So when I can say it, I will, but if it happens it will blow your mind! Only talk now. Saturday was the ceremony which was in a huge hall in Cleveland for the first time. This event should always be in Cleveland, and that's coming from someone based in the NYC area! It is a big event for them, the Hall is there, makes sense. The floor section is invited guests, the balconys were general sold tickets. Strange mix of people at this since all sorts of music goes in every year, but many screams of Metallica from the rafters. The ceremony was long but well done. Obviously for me Jeff Beck and Metallica were highlights, but was also happy for Darryl McDaniels who I know and did some TV with in the past. Great guy and I was pleased for him. Although not a rap fan, the group are pioneers no doubt. I was unsure about Flea inducting Metallica but thought he did a great job. Not sure what they showed on TV. The event was over 4 hours live. What James said about the bands ignored was awesome and brought me out of my seat. Coolest thing ever! Nice to see Cliff Burton get so many props. The performance was also cool with Jason and Rob playing together. Metallica did this right in every way! They burried the hatchet with anyone they had to, had them there, and had Jason on stage with them. When you think of how VH went in, or when Kiss had Ace play with the tribute band at VH1's Rock Honors a few years ago instead of in Kiss, it's so refershing to see. This is the way bands are supposed to honor their legacy. First class and respectful all the way to fans and former members and supporters. Could not have been done better. The speaches, parties, performances, a great band remembering where they came from and who put them there. I have stories for years from this weekend, but time is short now. You will hear them in time on this site and the radio and TV shows. Congrats to Metallica and a sincere thanks to the band and their management for including me in a historic weekend!
Now, as for the Hall itself. No secret I have KILLED it on TV and Radio for years for ignoring the legendary bands mentioned above, and many more for that matter. A number of people came up to me talking about it. I can not stress enough that my comments are directed at the people that make the decisions on who gets in, NOT the people that work at the Hall and not the many deserving bands that are in! I will continue this crusade until it's made right. It is DISGUSTING that Kiss, Alice, Purple, Priest, Maiden and Rush have been ignored, not to mention so many others both metal and rock. Not going to rehash it all again here. I was unsure if I should even go to the actual Hall. All events were not there, but other sites. I did attempt to go Saturday afternoon to see first hand what goes on at the site, but it was open that day for free and the lines were long so I left. Did not think dropping "Eddie Trunk" there would get me any favors and I had mixed feelings even standing in front of it. This morning as I was leaving the hotel I was stopped by a nice guy that introduced himself and told me he worked for the Hall. He knew what I had been saying and said he was a fan of mine. He said many that work in the Hall are and they even watch TMS there. He said any time I come on TV or Radio they all say "here comes Eddie to kill us"! He could not be cooler, understood my position, and stressed that nobody that actually works at the Hall decides who goes in. He also said I should see it because as a music fan there is amazing stuff there. Wanted to set me up for a tour but was flying back to NJ. Maybe another time. Bottom line is that I'm sure it's a cool place, but I just can not take it seriously without the bands mentioned above being in. I'll keep fighting, but I do respect the stuff in there, the people that work there, and many of the artists that have been inducted. I do not respect the decsion makers until they get a clue!
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 10:47 am

Mustaine shoudve been there, but who knows maybe he will be there someday. Bob Rock shouldve been there too, just for all the contributions (good or bad) that he's given the band.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 12:15 pm

good speech.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
SuprimuS
Metal student
Metal student
SuprimuS

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 12:45 pm

i miss Cliff...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony   Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metallica - Hall of Fame Ceremony
Page 1 of 1