Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation Empty
PostSubject: Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation   Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2007 9:45 pm

I'm tempted to buy this, being into both hard rock and doom. However I'm a little hesitant to pop for it because not only did I get sick of the "tribute" album craze of the last decade real fast; but I have the retro discs by Rush, Styx, and even the Ramones in my glove compartment for emergencies (I imagine playing them if I have to take some old stoner who is having a flashback to the psych ward or something) but I never play them and find them pretty boring. But the bands on the "Sucking" discs are a who's who of heavyness; so it looks like it could be fun to listen to. Any opinions/experience?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation   Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2007 10:23 pm

I've only heard good things about it. But I've only heard Clutch's cover of "Cross Eyed Mary."
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation   Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 10:24 am

A few more details, please.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation   Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 1:39 am

I have it - I like it. Great selection of classic songs pulled off well by some great bands. I bought it originally for SPIRIT CARAVAN's cover of SABBATH's "Wicked World". Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation 309780
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation   Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 2:49 am

This is a compilation (two volumes, four disks now) of current Doom and southern Stoner bands doing covers of 70's songs. Trog likes it, and you gotta respect that because he the man...but I decided that I'm just not into covers so I'm gonna pass on this for now. One reason is that my collection of the vintage stuff is very strong, so I wouldn't be learning much new here. The other reason (and these discs aren't too bad in this respect) but cover discs always include a few radio classics that I just never want to hear again even if I liked them at one time; they just got played out from me hearing them in supermarkets etc. over the decades. I would recommend these compilations to someone wanting to learn about vintage hard rock; maybe a younger person who can appreciate these powered up versions more than the originals. There really aren't a whole lotta cliche songs included here, but I think I'll just stick with the originals for now since I have most of them.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation   Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 10:07 am

I looked into it. Sounds interesting. I have quite a few tribute albums, obviously some better than others, but I do enjoy a decent cover tune. The songs covered on the comp are some pretty cool selections. I might have to pick this up.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation   Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 11:49 am

Bumping an oldie here...

I recently picked this up and I'm really liking what I hear. The tunes the bands chose to cover is a great mix of "classics" ("Free For All', "Communication Breakdown") along with some really obscure gems. It's a 2-disc set and both discs are chock full of fuzzy, bottom-heavy goodness. Each disc is 77+ minutes of music. There is a part 2 (Sucking the 70's Part 2: Back in the Saddle) that I'll be picking up soon enough as well.

The nice thing about this comp, which I suppose all good truibute albums should do, is that it makes me want to hunt down the works of both the artists (Puny Human, Spiritual Beggars, Five Horse Johnson, to name a few) that perform on here as well as the original bands they've covered.

Does anyone know if the tracks contained within were recorded exclusively for this comp or were they pulled from various albums and/or b-sides? Fireball Ministry for example, does a great cover of UFO's 'Doctor, Doctor'. Does this track appear anywhere else or is it exclusive to this recording? I did notice a little bit of volume difference in certain tracks (some are cranked, others are lower). Other than that little inconsitancy, it's a really good compilation album. I'd strongly recommend it to fans of 70's rock and stoner metal/rock.

PostSubject: Re: Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation   Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 11:56 am

I love this compilation, I think most of the material is specific to this release but I'm not positive. Two more compilations that I highly recommend (that feature some tracks not available elsewhere).

Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation G32729rb6df

High Times Magazine sponsored collection, GREAT STUFF! Some of the bands included: Clutch, Unida, The Hidden Hand, Orange Goblin, Suplecs, High On Fire, etc.

Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation E592247ydv1

Quite a few of these songs are available elsewhere, but it's a great compilation. Some bands included: Unida, Orange Goblin, Sheavy, Electric Wizard, Solarized, etc.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation   Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 12:05 pm

The High Volume one I checked out. Amazon threw that one out at me..."You like this, try this". It's got potential, for sure.

Never saw that 2nd one, but the boobies certainly got my attention. \'arry \'eadbanger Judging by the cover, is that one more doom-oriented, as opposed to the stoner-vibe of these others?

Another one Amazon recommended was Right In the Nuts: A Tribute to Aerosmith.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_In_The_Nuts

Most of the same line-up from the Sucking the 70's albums (same record label as well), all covering classic Aero-tunes. It was pretty cheap, so I might pick that one up too.

PostSubject: Re: Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation   Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 12:35 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Never saw that 2nd one, but the boobies certainly got my attention. \'arry \'eadbanger Judging by the cover, is that one more doom-oriented, as opposed to the stoner-vibe of these others?

It's all stoner-vibe stuff. It was produced by Lee Dorian (Cathedral) who did all the track selections.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation   Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 12:59 pm

detuned wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

It's all stoner-vibe stuff. It was produced by Lee Dorian (Cathedral) who did all the track selections.

Sweet. I checked these all out on Amazon and can all be purchased fairly cheap. However, after my last haul, I'm putting a self-imposed halt on new music purchases for the time being. I'm getting a little out of control and now I've got a huge stack of cd's to go through. Gotta give them some attention before I add to the pile. I'm not Eyesore for Pete's sake.

PostSubject: Re: Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation   Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sucking the 70's Stoner/doom retro compilation
Page 1 of 1