Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues Empty
PostSubject: Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues   Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 6:21 pm

I see Buffalo's entire catolouge was re-issued with bonus tracks and extensive notes last year. This is the second band that blatantly explored the Sabbath sound (Bang was the first), and like Bang they added a biker roughness to the mix to create what some people consider to be the first real "stoner" sound.
However one has to be careful when buying Buffalo discs, as they are an extremely mixed bag. Here's a short guide....

1. Dead Forever (1972). To my ears this is way behind the times blues tinged psych. There is a nice cover of Blues Image's "Pay My Dues" (later cover by Blackfoot), and the song "Bean Stew" is a cool snakey hard blues number, but I was otherwise un-impressed. For fans only.

2. Volcanic Rock (1973) All of a sudden they are now ahead of their time; putting out an album of excellent stoner tinged hard rock. This reminds me more than anything of Yesterday & Today's (pre Y&T) first two albums from the late 70's; but it's heavier, better, and more advance IMO. The songs are too long, and not enough of them (5, 7 on the re-master); but at times it verges on metal (see "Shylock). Recoomended for hard rock fans or stoner completists.

3. Only Want You For Your Body (1974) Now way ahead of their time, they come out with what is the prototypical NWOBHM album. Most of it actually sounds like a prescient tribute to the NWOBHM, with songs that presage Motorhead, Witchfinder General (with Cathedral like out-of-tune-on-purpose riffs) and the lot. Closer "Kings Cross Ladies" has the first instance of the stereotypical NWOBHM downscale galloping riff that I am aware of; a riff that immediatly reminds me of certain songs by Blitzkrieg, Tygers of Pan Tang, and Saxon. Nobody else approached this sound until the Tony Iommi produced proto-NWOBHMers Quartz in 1977. Recommended.

4. Mother's Choice (1975)Personel changes led to Buffalo now receding again to being way behind the times. This is a fun record, and very loud, but it's a rock n' roll record (I wouldn't even call it hard rock, despite it's volume). It's 1950's rock, closer to something the Flamin' Groovies might do, or the Cramps! I think of it as the world's loudest "pubrock" album. I actually have stuff from Slade and Status Quo that is more metallic. For fans only.

5. Average Rock & Roller (1977) Should have been the title of the previous album. This has now degenerated into very poor boogie rock; with perhaps one good song. Avoid!

Some members went on to join Rose Tattoo, another legend from down under. I have never heard Rose Tattoo, despite the fact that some rave about them. From verbal descritions they sound as if they are a punkish exploration of the AC/DC sound, and I don't wanna go there.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues   Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2007 1:01 am

Pretty much spot on with the descriptions of the albums they in a way predicted the stoner rock boom of the 90's but could hardly be called influential since they are quite obscure even down here in Australia. I don't think they were blatantly taking on Sabbath's sound as you described i think they had the same influences as Black Sabbath and were in a way a parallel band to Sabbath from the other side of the world, much in the same way bands from Australia like The Saints and Radio Birdman were coming up with what could be described as punk at the same time as the american and british bands because they shared the same influences. Buffalo supported Black Sabbath in Australia in the early 70's and by all accounts blew them off the stage. Pete Wells was the bass player in Buffalo and then went on and formed Rose Tattoo this time playing slide and rythm guitar for them, Rose Tattoo are in my opinion the greatest hard rock band Australia has produced i don't know about the punk aspect that you've heard they are very much in the AC/DC vein of hard rock with a ZZ Top vibe to them as well because of the slide guitar. They were a huge influence on the late 80's LA metal scene with both Slash and Tracii Guns citing Pete Wells as guitar inspirations, Pete Wells also drew praise from Keith Richards and Billy Gibbons for his unique slide guitar playing. Unfortuantly Pete passed away last year. A true rock n' roll legend.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues   Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2007 6:11 pm

You're right about the Sabbath influence. I picked up a couple of these re-masters, and the notes claim that when many of these songs were written they hadn't yet heard Sabbath. I wonder if they had listened to any Bang. They really sound more like Bang to me than Sabbath.
Also, it sounds from your description that Rose Tattoo might be a little more earthy than what I've been told. I think I really should look into them for myself as it sounds as if I might enjoy them.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues   Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 3:34 am

Yeah definately, Bang is another one that gets bought up a bit but again Bang is in the obscure realm of bands and i'd be pretty safe in saying the guys in Buffalo hadn't heard of them. It just shows that this kind of music evolved independantly of each other. If your a fan of AC/DC you cannot go wrong with Rose Tattoo, not that they sound exactly the same its just that they both come from the same school of loud blues based hard rock, check out these:

Rose Tattoo - S/T (1978)
Rose Tattoo - Assualt & Battery (1981)
Rose Tattoo - Scarred For Life (1982)

These are australian releases i don't know how they were released and named in the US, but the debut is the best to check out.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues   Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 5:35 pm

All readily available here, and some nice looking comps as well. I've been told the highlight was Assault & Battery; but maybe I'll just start with a compilation to get a feel for them.
It's funny that reading the notes on the Buffalo re-masters, it sounds as if these guys never really appreciated themselves until recently, which is too bad. They seemed to be experimenting with different styles, and didn't seem to realize that they got it right (IMO) with the second and third albums.
Also what you say about Buffalo not being influenced by the international music scene as much as contemporay US and UK bands totally makes sense. It explains to some degree how they could have been so all over the place stylistically the way they were.
Their story reminds me of a number of bands from that era. All of a sudden they find out that they are legendary in certain circles, and there is some demand for their albums to be re-issued. It seems like some of these guys get kind of freaked out by the whole phenomenon; especially if they've been working day jobs for the intervening 30 years. I live in a small town in Wisconsin, and one of the local librarians was was in a pop band
in California 20 years ago. When I told her that not only do I appreciate her music, but that the discs sell for 50 bucks on Ebay, she was absolutely astonished.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues   Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 12:10 am

Bump for Manny
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues   Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 12:25 am

Sahb do reckon Dave Tice sounds like John Fogerty banshee howling in a cave? Cause that's the image i get every time i listen to his voice......with a wee bit of Ozzy.

No wonder Chris Cornell is an admirer of Tice.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues   Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:50 am

John Fogerty in a cave? I've got to ponder that for awhile. Nobody would think along those lines unless he'd been in 100 F heat for about five days straight. You might be right, but I'd crank up the air conditioning just a couple of notches just to be safe. Maybe you shound eat some ice cubes or something. Smile
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues   Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 3:07 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
John Fogerty in a cave? I've got to ponder that for awhile. Nobody would think along those lines unless he'd been in 100 F heat for about five days straight. You might be right, but I'd crank up the air conditioning just a couple of notches just to be safe. Maybe you shound eat some ice cubes or something. Smile

I've tried but they melt before they get to your mouth........my brain is fried, i feel like i'm in a Syd Barrett record at the moment!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues   Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 8:39 am

The Buffalo album that Martin Popoff wrote about was 'Only Want You For Your Body', I had personally never heard of these guys til I read his book. Thanks for the description of their discography and I think when I get around to buying CD's I will add 'Only Want You For Your Body' on my want list, very interesting and informative thread thank you SAHB and Rattpoison.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues   Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 9:12 pm

sounds cool, will have to check into these.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues   Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 10:41 pm

This sounds like it would be right up my particularly dark alley! Thanks for the recommendation, I will be checking these out.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues   Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Sounds like Id like them, but is Volcanic Rock worth the 16 bucks I see attached to it as a used price?
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues   Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 7:01 am

DeathCult wrote:
Sounds like Id like them, but is Volcanic Rock worth the 16 bucks I see attached to it as a used price?

Every bit and more.......one of those rare unknowns that's ahead of the curve and offers up quality like that of their more fancied and well known contemporaries.

Remember this is 1973.......

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues   Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 12:46 am

Got Volcanic Rock the other day, great album!
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues   Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buffalo- Aussie stoner doom pioneeers re-issues
Page 1 of 1