Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Genre Question

Go down 
+6
Leatherface
Troublezone
kmorg
manny
Fat Freddy
the sentinel
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:18 pm

In your opinion, what is the title of the genre of music that Crimson Glory and Queensryche started?
Back to top Go down

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:24 pm

You mean that Queensryche started and Crimson Glory copied... Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:26 pm

Christ, why was this moved? Crimson Glory and Queensryche are both metal bands.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:26 pm

I don't know any CG songs, so I can't really comment on them or what they started. I know that Queensryche started out as a heavy metal band and became more of a progressive metal band as their career went on. As much as I love all of their music, I don't feel that they really started a specific genre. Maybe I am wrong, I certainly don't know as much as some members of the board, so I could be overlooking something. Good, thought- provoking question, btw. Peace.
Back to top Go down

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:28 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Christ, why was this moved? Crimson Glory and Queensryche are both metal bands.

Because it was a topic about the genre specification of more than one band...
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:29 pm

Wow!!! That was weird. I started out replying in the Heart of Metal forum and exited back out into The Sound of Music. I know it's gettin near Halloween, but c'mon, creepy!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:33 pm

I've always considered QR and C.G. to be the forefathers of Progressive Metal. C.G. refined what Queensryche started.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:43 pm

I agree with Freddy, Queensryche and I would add Fates Warning are the forefathers of progressive metal. I am not familiar with Crimson Glory's music so I will have to check them out. Thank God for You Tube.
Back to top Go down

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:44 pm

I always thought progressive metal was more Fates Warning and Dream Theater with odd time signatures, tempo changes, etc. CG and QR are pretty straight forward 4/4 kind of stuff, I think.
Back to top Go down

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:48 pm

I agree with Spec on that...I never considered 'Ryche or CG "Prog Metal"...Melodic & Dark, but not Prog...
Back to top Go down

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:49 pm

I think Queensryche just made a more symphonic sound popular. It was somewhat progressive but I give that title to FW.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:53 pm

spectrefate wrote:
I always thought progressive metal was more Fates Warning and Dream Theater with odd time signatures, tempo changes, etc. CG and QR are pretty straight forward 4/4 kind of stuff, I think.

When I think of Progressive Metal I think of the ambition of the material, Queensryche for example on The Warning, had songs like " No Santuary" " Before the Storm" and "Road to Madness' that showed they where already thinking outside of the box. They were not afaird to have write songs that were not radio friendly and went agaisnt the grain as far as lyrical subject matter compared to what alot of their peers were writing about.
Back to top Go down

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:54 pm

I don't think Queensryche started "any" genre: they started out as basically an Iron Maiden clone (a very good one), brought in some progressive elements (mostly copied from Pink Floyd and Rush), then later brought in basic pop elements into their music (Empire) before trying to become a grunge band (Here In The Now Frontier).

They've always been an excellent band, and I'm definitely a fan...but they don't deserve that much "trailblazer" credit.

Fates Warning followed a similar trajectory...and they're not trendsetters either.

Dream Theater sound like the school they graduated from.
Back to top Go down

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 1:02 pm

The trailblazing FW did a lot and the Ryche did a little was to go against popular top 40 sounding metal but your right, they didn't invent a sound.
Back to top Go down

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 1:05 pm

FW was a Maiden-esque band in the beginning, but the improvement they made from Brocken to Spectre Within and on to Awaken the Guardian is unbelieveable. ATG is such an underrated classic of progressive metal.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 1:15 pm

It's prog metal. So says the genre nazi = ME!

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Half traditional, half power
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 3:26 pm

troublezone wrote:
Half traditional, half power

Powerditional!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 11:17 pm

Nazgul wrote:
I think Queensryche just made a more symphonic sound popular. It was somewhat progressive but I give that title to FW.

That's more in line with how I feel. As much as I love both of those bands, I kind of always thought that Yes and Rush were the fathers of Progressive metal. Peace.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18952

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 1:33 am

Progressive power metal, maybe?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 2:17 am

I've never considered QR to be progressive. If any album ever had any prog-metal on it, it was Rage For Order. But even then the progressive elements were minimal. Otherwise they were a pretty cut and dry metal band until they turned into a rock band.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 2:51 am

I guess I call QR, FW, CG, along with Warlord, Saracen, and maybe Barren Cross as maybe proto-prog metal? They weren't full blown progressive metal but they surely influenced a lot of post Dream Theatre bands at least.
Back to top Go down

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 3:07 am

I don't think we need a category for Queensryche, they sound like Queensryche...that's good enough.

Fates Warning sounds like Fates Warning...that's also good enough.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 3:49 pm

F*ckin' good metal is what I call it.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 4:14 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
F*ckin' good metal is what I call it.

They need that section in music stores. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Genre Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Genre Question   Genre Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Genre Question
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next