Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Clash

Go down 
+9
XYZ
Fat Freddy
sam
TheGooch
akeldama
rattpoison
Troublezone
tohostudios
manny
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

The Clash - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 7:05 am

I'm gonna have to list two favorites (but as one is a cover it doesn't really count)

But I love a lot of their stuff
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Clash - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 10:05 am

I've tried a couple of times to get into this band, but they are a little too all over the map for me. There are a few rock songs I like, but then they switch over to reggae, then new-wave-ish, then punk, then disco. The political leanings didn't do much for me either.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

The Clash - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 10:11 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I've tried a couple of times to get into this band, but they are a little too all over the map for me. There are a few rock songs I like, but then they switch over to reggae, then new-wave-ish, then punk, then disco. The political leanings didn't do much for me either.

I've always been in the same boat. I mainly knew the Clash's "radio" stuff and thought it was OK, but my mind never got blown by them like a lot of peeps... so I bought that 2-CD best-of figuring "What the hell, it's cheap, and if they don't click with me this time, then I give up."  

I've listened to that collection a few times now and tho there are some decent tracks here 'n' there, my mind still remains un-blown. Oh well. I tried. (shrugs)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Clash - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 10:14 am

This doc was very good though...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

The Clash - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2018 3:08 pm

I like a lot of their material.

The 70s material is very good. I particularly like the debut, their most "punk" album by a landslide. (Some songs basically epitomize old school punk.) Give 'Em Enough Rope and London Calling are also very good. I find it strange a lot of people who worship both the debut and London Calling seem to slag Give 'Em Enough Rope; you can hear some of The Clash from the debut on songs like "Tommy Gun", and you can also see where they were moving away from just being a pure "punk" band, and managing to evolve in writing songs in other rock styles, a transition they completed on London Calling. One wouldn't get London Calling without getting Give 'Em Enough Rope first.

The early 80s is where their catalog gets spotty, but there are still some great songs on Sandinista! and Combat Rock, such as "Straight to Hell" off of the latter album.

However, their last album, Cut the Crap, is absolute garbage. The album has been disowned by The Clash, and it's not hard to see why. Their documentary, Westway to the World, make absolutely no reference to it whatsoever, implying that The Clash broke up after the Combat Rock tour. The band's autobiography basically had everything you ever wanted to know about their first five studio albums (even if you were afraid to ask), but only very briefly touches on Cut the Crap.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

The Clash - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Clash
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2