Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal Refefence Books

Go down 
+12
Selvmord
A Handful of Wayne
MetalGuy71
kmorg
manny
Fat Freddy
nevermore
Troublezone
ultmetal
SAHB Healer
the sentinel
mc666
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Metal Refefence Books Empty
PostSubject: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 2:06 pm

Metal Refefence Books MediumMetal Refefence Books MediumMetal Refefence Books Medium
What books does/has everybody use to find out whats out there or what your missing in your collections?
While nothing is 100% I've found these 3 books to be all I've ever really needed. I picked them all up at least 10 years ago, way before the wealth if info that is now on the web. So not counting sites, what other good reads are there that keep up with the metal scene?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 2:57 pm

None. I've used the internet for all that.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 4:18 pm

Eyesore wrote:
ditto. it's always up to date & includes just about everything.

the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 4:23 pm

Eyesore wrote:

I "third" this statement. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 5:55 pm

mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
ditto. it's always up to date & includes just about everything.

Good point. Because of the internet I haven't opened these books in probably five years. But there was a time not too long ago when all this information only existed on printed pages.

So let me re phrase that,

Were there ever any other books dedicated to the metal collector? Something that's cool just to have. I still have a bookcase in the studio full of music related books. Maybe I'm just oldschool but sometimes it's nice to kick back and turn pages and not sit and click.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 6:52 pm

I use them. But the most interesting ones are the vintage and out of print books (Derek Oliver etc.). It's fun to read vintage opinions as the recieved wisdom has changed so much. I've got a mid 70's book that totally bags on Sabbath, Stooges, Hawkwind and Budgie (and of course Kiss) for example.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 6:54 pm

I like to read print books. Have read several. Martin Popoff's Collector's Guide are helpful, especially for the 70's stuff. He really knows about a lot of underground stuff from that era.

I also have a bunch of biographies on different bands that I love.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 7:05 pm

I like the paper print books but i also use the internet because it's convenient.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 7:06 pm

well, i have tons of metal related books, i don't really use them as a reference though. never did.

nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25910

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 8:30 pm

I have a couple of the Collector's Guides by Popoff that I've used for reference before.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 8:53 pm

I love to read books, sadly I don't do it as often as I used to... damn addictive internet!!

But seriously, I loved Ian Christe's SOUND OF THE BEAST: THE COMPLETE HEADBANGING HISTORY OF HEAVY METAL.

The book LORDS OF CHAOS was an interesting read as well.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 9:03 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

But seriously, I loved Ian Christe's SOUND OF THE BEAST: THE COMPLETE HEADBANGING HISTORY OF HEAVY METAL.
just bought that this weekend. it's decent, although a little too much Metallica worship going on.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 9:09 pm

I have read Martin Popoff's books on Rush, Rainbow, Dio all excellent, and I have also read his Collector's Guide, read a couple of metal referrence books such as the Rough Guide on Heavy Metal, and lots of similar books, it is funny to see how opinions of certain albums and bands change depending on when that book was written.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 10:57 am

Just read an interview with the man behind the Mot'orhead one pictured in the original post. Made me wanna read the book! haha

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 11:01 am

This was the last one I purchased a few years ago...

Metal Refefence Books 14629724

Pretty decent with lotsa purty pictures. But like others here, I pretty much go to the inter-webs for most of my research anymore.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 6:35 pm

Metal Refefence Books Metalthedefinitiveguide

I just bought this book a couple weeks ago. Its pretty good. Found out some stuff I didnt know before. I didnt read too much of it yet because the Black Sabbath section was sooooo long I gotta recoup lol. But its very good and doesnt have stuff on the nu metal bands like Korn or anything stupid like that. Its just pure Metal!

It is easier to just look it up online but sometimes you just gotta have a book. Websites come and go the book will be forever until you loose it, then you'll have to buy another one and when you get to the store you end up finding out its out of print so you go on amazon and look for it but they want like $500 for it but you just want it that bad you pay for it. Thats never happened to me or anything cause no matter how much I would want a book I wouldnt pay $500 for it but im just saying. LMAO!
Back to top Go down
Selvmord
Metal student
Metal student
Selvmord

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 9:14 pm

Don't need one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 9:19 pm

Quote :
It is easier to just look it up online but sometimes you just gotta have a book.

I know what ya mean, PRD. My Barely Legal Brunettes isn't the same online. The computer cable don't reach inta the shitter. I've tried.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 9:22 pm

Selvmord wrote:
Don't need one.
surprised

http://www.heartofmetal.net/heart-of-metal-f1/swedish-death-metal-the-book-t6606.htm
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 10:31 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Quote :
It is easier to just look it up online but sometimes you just gotta have a book.

I know what ya mean, PRD. My Barely Legal Brunettes isn't the same online. The computer cable don't reach inta the shitter. I've tried.

That reminds me you dont have to scroll up and down or left and right with a book either because your screen is too small. With a book it either fits on the whole page or theres simply a fold out.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 3:13 pm

I have lots of this types of books including the one that Phoenix owns, I do go online to look up alot of information, but I do like having a well written researched book also.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 6:13 am

I have Rock Detectors - A-Z Thrash, but I can't even open it anymore, cuz every time I do, it ends up costing me about 100 bucks.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 10:04 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Pretty decent with lotsa purty pictures. But like others here, I pretty much go to the inter-webs for most of my research anymore.

My students bought this one for me as a gift a couple of years ago. Free is always good! I had a problem with Limp Bisquick, Korn and ICP being included. sick The author is fanboy for certain bands that aren't necessarily important IMO, but a decent book nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 10:19 am

I'm actually familiar with that one, it made me want to throw it across the room.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 11:58 am

QuothTheRaven wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

My students bought this one for me as a gift a couple of years ago. Free is always good! I had a problem with Limp Bisquick, Korn and ICP being included. sick The author is fanboy for certain bands that aren't necessarily important IMO, but a decent book nonetheless.

Also, too many great metal bands were left off of it in favor of those:

Dream Theater-whether you like them or not they are one of the most imortant bands in progressive metal history and to leave them out is unnacceptable.
Edguy
Kamelot
Symphony X
not to mention the plethora of great Christian bands (except Stryper-and even then they don't give them much more credit than being a novelty act)
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal Refefence Books   Metal Refefence Books Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal Refefence Books
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next