Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal Books

Go down 
+10
Troublezone
Hadley
Glower
Boris2008
Fat Freddy
Lari
Witchfinder
Addy
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
moonspell67
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
moonspell67
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
moonspell67

Number of posts : 463

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeMon May 22, 2017 3:22 pm

I am a very busy reader....on my shelves is a section I labeled: Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll. There are books on sex, some on drugs (how to grow/cook cannabis), and metal artists.
This section is mostly metal, excluding: Jaco, Lenny Breau, Charlie Parker, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Miles Davis....
My faves are anything by Neil Peart (this man is brilliant! He wrote his books, not a ghost writer.) Another awesome read is Scar Tissue by A. Kiedis. I don't dig RHCP much but this is so well written! I collected dozens of music bio's and autobio's and love this niche.
What is your fave music bio?
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeTue May 23, 2017 7:07 am

My all time fav "music" biography is Catch a Fire [Bob Marley]. My fav "metal" book is Give Me An "R" [Helix].
Back to top Go down
moonspell67
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
moonspell67

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeTue May 23, 2017 9:29 am

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
My all time fav "music" biography is Catch a Fire [Bob Marley].  My fav "metal" book is Give Me An "R" [Helix].

I hear the Helix book is pretty good...
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeTue May 23, 2017 9:39 am

tough to say I also am not a huge huge fan of RHCP but Scar Tissue was a excellent read

Other ones ive enjoyed were

Slash
Im not Dead and Not for Sale (Scott Weiland)
Duff's book
Dave Mustaine's
Ace Frehley
Heavier than Heaven
Nirvana by Everett True
Come As You Are by Azzlerod
Ive enjoyed all of these
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeTue May 23, 2017 9:40 am

ive been looking for a good Pink Floyd bio

I got a few David Bowie ones i need to still read
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeTue May 23, 2017 10:51 am

I have tons of these but two that stand out right now are Rex Brown - Official Truth, 101 Proof: The Inside Story of Pantera and Paul Stanley - Face the Music: A Life Exposed.

I also enjoyed Lemmy's - White Line Fever autobiography.

I found Sammy Hagar's autobiography to be nearly unreadable. The dude was all over the place in his writing - total stream of consciousness.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeTue May 23, 2017 10:59 am

Stratovarius book would be nice, because it'd be pretty insane (literally).
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeTue May 23, 2017 11:01 am

These are a few that I've enjoyed over the past year or two, maybe not all are "metal" but all were great reads:

Shut Up And Give Me The Mic by Dee Snider

Snakes! Guillotines! Electric Chairs! My Adventures in the Alice Cooper Group by Dennis Dunaway

A Biography of Led Zeppelin: When Giants Walked the Earth by Mick Wall

Black Sabbath: Symptom Of The Universe by Mick Wall

Van Halen Rising: How a Southern California Backyard Party Band Saved Heavy Metal, by Greg Renoff

Punk Rock Blitzkrieg: My Life as a Ramone by Marky Ramone

I Slept With Joey Ramone by Mickey Leigh

VJ: The Unplugged Adventures of MTV's First Wave by Nina Blackwood, Mark Goodman, Alan Hunter and Martha Quinn

Louder than Hell: The Definitive Oral History of Metal by Jon Wiederhorn & Katherine Turman

Bang Your Head: The Rise and Fall of Heavy Metal by David Konow

Spray Paint the Walls: The Story of Black Flag by Stevie Chick

Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk - Legs McNeil/Gillian McCain

My Life With Deth: Discovering Meaning in a Life of Rock & Roll by David Ellefson

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeTue May 23, 2017 11:47 am

I like biography's but so many are just one sided ego trips or glossed over bullshit.

I do like however

Crazy Diamond - Syd Barrett & the Birth of Pink Floyd
Is that it? - Bob Geldof
A Life in Metal - Dave Mustaine
The Dirt - Motley Crue
No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs - John Lydon
Tainted Life - Marc Almond

Not a great deal of metal there but they are all interesting reads unlike all of the books I've ever read about the majority of metal bands
Back to top Go down
moonspell67
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
moonspell67

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeTue May 23, 2017 12:05 pm

Addy wrote:
tough to say I also am not a huge huge fan of RHCP but Scar Tissue was a excellent read

Other ones ive enjoyed were

Slash
Im not Dead and Not for Sale (Scott Weiland)
Duff's book
Dave Mustaine's
Ace Frehley
Heavier than Heaven
Nirvana by Everett True
Come As You Are by Azzlerod
Ive enjoyed all of these

I have Slash and Mustaine....both very good! The Stephen Pearcy book is basically a forum for Pearcy to brag about sex and drugs- not great, BUT, I grew up with Ratt and that made it ok.
Back to top Go down
moonspell67
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
moonspell67

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeTue May 23, 2017 1:12 pm

I have many rock bio's, but a HUGE hole on the shelves is reserved for Mr. Popoff.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeTue May 23, 2017 2:03 pm

Im dyin to find a decent Pink Floyd bio I have like 3 David Bowie bios (Im a huge fan of Bowie) i need to read i dont read as fast as i used to
Back to top Go down
moonspell67
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
moonspell67

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeTue May 23, 2017 2:44 pm

I have 'A Saucer Full of Secrets'....it is ok, but not wonderful. I had a bio on Bowie but I threw it away after reading. it was a mass-market paperback that was more concerned about Bowie's drug and sex life than his music. I don't give a dry white dog turd about musicians and their sex/party lives (exceptions: Richards, Osbourne, Moon, Lemmy, Lennon)
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3178

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeTue May 23, 2017 8:37 pm

I wish that metal books were cheaper !
I think many musicians unfortunately hold back the wild stories....
And they also want to give people back pats...etc....Lita Ford....still 13 - 14 bucks....ehh.....
I love laughing while reading...Dirt....Walk This Way....were true classics !
Steve Adler's book was a wild read....he put a lot out there !
Peter Criss book...him calling Gene and Paul " c*** suc***s...a few times...
that was straight forward of him ha ha...
Steve Tyler saying he likes masturbating......was a shocker to read...
Lemmy saying he was invited to see beat, raped, killed sex.,.,whatever order he wanted it seen....
Steven Pearcy was a wild read....
Ace threatened Gene....that he'll write a second book....and really uncover him and Paul, if they kept bad mouthing him and Peter - ha ha !

Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeTue May 23, 2017 9:30 pm

Fargo Rock City by Chuck Klosterman is an interesting look at being a metal fan in the 1980s. Though he does go off on tangents (including the chapter on bank fraud), it's definitely a good, fun read.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2017 12:25 am

I've been really into rock/metal bios for the last several years.

David Lee Roth - Crazy from the Heat
Dave Mustaine - A Heavy Metal Memoir
Rex Brown - Official Truth 101 Proof
Alex Skolnick - Geek to Guitar Hero
David Ellefson - My Life with Deth
Max Cavalera - My Bloody Roots
Tony Iommi - Iron Man
Scott Ian - I'm the Man
Dee Snider - Shut Up and Give Me the Mic
Dimebag Darrell - Black Tooth Grin
Brian "Head" Welch - Save Me from Myself
Steve Rowe - Metal Missionary
Pete Townsend - Who I Am
Steven Adler - My Appetite for Destruction
Rudy Sarzo - Off the Rails
Mark Salomon (The Crucified) - Simplicity
Andrew Schwab (Project 86) - It's All Downhill from Here

And many more on my want list!
Back to top Go down
moonspell67
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
moonspell67

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2017 12:31 pm

All of my reading life, I have always played music while reading. Sometimes a good book or series gets correlated to the tunes you were listening to especially if you repeat the music for the entire story).
An example : When I was 15, I read a series of paperbacks by V.C. Andrews. There is 4 books in the series and the first book was 'Flowers in the Attic', followed by 'Petals on the Wind' and 2 more that I forget the name of. Back then I loved this series- now, I would never re-read them. The music I played over and over for the whole series still brings to the forefront the images created by my brain while reading. King's X - Gretchen Goes to Nebraska.
Do you find music to be an important part of reading? What songs or albums have you affiliated with certain books/series?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2017 1:31 pm

^^ I don't usually, but last week Stormspell sent me a promo of the new Claymorean album (a female fronted "epic power" metal band from Serbia whose songs are all about swords 'n' steel 'n' war 'n' stuff) and it occurred to me that it would make a great soundtrack to the "Red Sonja" graphic novel I'm reading right now. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
moonspell67
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
moonspell67

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2017 1:54 pm

Troublezone wrote:

Tony Iommi - Iron Man
Scott Ian - I'm the Man
Pete Townsend - Who I Am

nice list! On your list, I only have mustaine and adler- proves to me that there is almost enough music bios   ! There are tons I have yet to read...before this thread I actually thought that I had most music bios already....boy, was I wrong.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18963

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2017 2:03 pm

Are You Morbid?-Thomas Gabriel Fischer
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2017 4:57 pm

moonspell67 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Tony Iommi - Iron Man
Scott Ian - I'm the Man
Pete Townsend - Who I Am

nice list! On your list, I only have mustaine and adler- proves to me that there is almost enough music bios   ! There are tons I have yet to read...before this thread I actually thought that I had most music bios already....boy, was I wrong.

Yeah, there's plenty more to get... I still need Michael Sweet's, Sebastian Bach's and Harley Flannagan's (Cro-Mags).
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeThu May 25, 2017 2:33 am

Addy wrote:
Im dyin to find a decent Pink Floyd bio  I have like 3 David Bowie bios (Im a huge fan of Bowie) i need to read i dont read as fast as i used to
Have you read, Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd written by Nick Mason? I read it years ago, and liked it quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
moonspell67
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
moonspell67

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeThu May 25, 2017 2:33 pm

as far as trashy books describing rockstar immaturity (sex, drugs, little responsibility, inflated ego's...) Motley Crue - the Dirt or GnR Watch You Bleed are good. Or the Stephen Pearcy book.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeThu May 25, 2017 7:20 pm

Leatherface wrote:
Are You Morbid?-Thomas Gabriel Fischer

I want this book bad!! I have Only Death is Real (the illustrated book) but that one is really hard to come by for a not insane price and it hasn't been reprinted Mad
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitimeFri May 26, 2017 7:23 pm

I've been really into hard rock/metal biographies over the past few years, i've got dozens on my Kindle that I still have not gotten around to reading.

Most recent one I finished was Sebastian Bach's book.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Metal Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Books   Metal Books Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal Books
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next