Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is...

Go down 
+17
A Handful of Wayne
XYZ
TheGooch
DallasBlack
GrandNational
nevermore
DeathCult
SuprimuS
Stender
Fat Freddy
skullsmasher
Temple of Blood
mc666
Hamer12
ultmetal
Thrasher73
INVADERS
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is...   Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 9:33 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
This thread has nothing to do with Lars's drumming overall.

I'd say Lars peaked on JUSTICE.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is...   Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 9:53 pm

You know to be honest I've never heard that cd ever in fact the only Metallica I have heard is Ride The Lightning. Not a big Metallica fan!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is...   Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 9:55 pm

Wargod48 wrote:
You know to be honest I've never heard that cd ever in fact the only Metallica I have heard is Ride The Lightning. Not a big Metallica fan!

Wargod48
Odd. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is...   Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 10:00 pm

mc666 wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Lombardo > everyone else

True but thats beside the point Laughing

What about this MC,whos better Lombardo or Hoglan?
perhaps i was not clear...
Lombardo > everyone else

So..what your saying is Lombardo is better than everyone else Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is...   Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 11:15 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Legend has it that there was some "robotic assistance" to Lars' drumming on the track "Dyer's Eve" because the tempo was too fast for him to keep up with by himself. That could be just Lars-hatin' B.S. though.

I've heard this rumor too. Has anyone seen them do this song live? I never saw Metallica on the Justice tour, but I remember them doing a Justice-medley on subsequent tours and the change in tempos always lent creedence to the fact that Lars needed a break from the fast stuff. I dunno, just my 2 cents.

I like the Justice album too. One of my favorites. I never had any problems with the drums, although the mix did seem a little off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is...   Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 9:38 pm

Lars' playing on that album is very good. That's my opinion. When it comes to making music my first care is if I like what I play(ed). Unlike the Little Prince (Lars), I don't worry about what others think of my drumming, except those who write the song(s) I'm playing on. His drumming is very rigid here. This would be due to Lars' use of click tracks, and he wasn't as adept at tracking with a click as he is..... or should be... now. I like the way the drums sound on the album. Very dry. All in all a good album.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4602

PostSubject: Re: Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is...   Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 9:55 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I'll be honest, in my younger days I thought Lars Ulrich was one helluva great drummer. Then back around 1989 or so I got to see Sepultura on their first tour of the US. My brother and I were up at the front of the crowd against the stage, and we happened to be in a spot where I had a clear view of everything Igor Cavalera was doing on the drum kit. He was a MACHINE! I think I watched more of him than any of the other band members. Amazing drummer!! When we left the club that night I remember thinking "Screw Lars Ulrich, I have just seen the new King!"

I saw something similar to that, though it didn't change my opinion of who was good and who wasn't. It just gave me a new found respect for a guy I always thought was great anyway. I saw Slayer about 7 years ago when Paul Bostaph was with them. It was a small club that fit about 300 (they must have had about 400 that night, as it was PACKED). I was in the back on a small flight of stairs, so I could see the whole band clearly (I was only about 25-30 feet back from them). Bostaph was a freakin' BLUR! The dude was just ripping through the songs like he was possessed or something.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is...   Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 9:59 pm

I've avoided giving my opinion on this thread before now, but frankly, I was never very impressed with this album because of the drumming.

I borrowed it from a buddy about 4 or 5 years ago, thinking "Maybe I'll have a different opinion now". I didn't. I'd be willing to give it another shot I guess, but I remember thinking that the drumnming was sloppy, like Lars was trying to play stuff he did not have the skill level to pull off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is...   Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 4:06 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
I've avoided giving my opinion on this thread before now, but frankly, I was never very impressed with this album because of the drumming.

Me too. It ruins it for me. Especially on Harvester of sorrow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is...   Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's Be Honest: The Drum Work On And Justice For All Is...
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3