Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?

Go down 
+18
TheGooch
Metal Misfit
manny
metalheaded
7thSecond
DallasBlack
ThrashedOutCobra33
DeathCult
Lurideath
mc666
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Glenn Rogers
zombiewalkin
Troublezone
Thrasher73
Rex
ultmetal
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Empty
PostSubject: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 8:38 am

For those who haven't heard Dan Nelson yet, just following this link to blabbermouth there are a whole bunch of youtube videos there from a recent Anthrax performance, including both Belladonna and Bush songs:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=98685

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 8:40 am

I'm a huge Anthrax fan and have been since they were a local band in the early 80's. Purchased their 'Soldier of Metal' 45 RPM single when it was a new release in 1984. I like the Turbin, Belladonna and Bush years. However, these live clips leave much to be desired. Don't really care for this guy much. Perhaps he will be better on a studio recording, but as it stands, I don't like it much.

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 8:42 am

I don't like him.

I think Scott Ian's irrational man-boy love for Pantera clouded judgement here. The new singer sounds like a Anselmo clone trying to copy John Bush.

I'll be sitting it out until the John Bush reunion happens.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 8:45 am

Sounds like Phil Anselmo worship. I just don't think this is the right sound for Anthrax. I think I still like him better than Bush though.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 9:12 am

Those vid clips dont do much for me.Hopefully he'll sound better on an album
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 10:22 am

I'll judge after i hear a studio album.
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 10:25 am

Meh............get Jon back fellas. (mind you Im not a big fan of Jon in Anthrax)
Back to top Go down
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 11:08 am

NOT
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 11:11 am

I wasn't real crazy on what I've heard in those clips. The Belladonna-era stuff is out of his range and the Bush-era was just ok. I'm still interested to hear him on the new album and I hope he has his own style (not just a Bush clone).

Are those clips from his first ever live performance with the band? I'd guess that they are, so I'm willing to cut him some slack and not tear him apart just yet.
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 11:36 am

Glenn Rogers wrote:
NOT

Laughing

Ya just cant have an Anthrax thread without someone saying it!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 11:44 am

Hmmm... I'm with MetalGuy. Kinda hard to judge this guy based on a couple of not-so-great-quality YouTube clips. But what I did hear was kinda "meh."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 11:51 am

OK, he is opening for Iron Maiden. He's on the big stage, but acts like he's still in some club somewhere.
How menny time's do you need to drop the F BOMB...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 11:59 am

I agree with that. The f-bomb gets real old fast.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 12:01 pm

Rexorcist wrote:
I agree with that. The f-bomb gets real old fast.

Smurf yeah it does.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 12:06 pm

Glenn Rogers wrote:
OK, he is opening for Iron Maiden. He's on the big stage, but acts like he's still in some club somewhere.
How menny time's do you need to drop the F BOMB...

That's the kind of stuff you hope will go away with a little experience under his belt, if he lasts that long. Hey, at least he wasn't shadow boxing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 1:18 pm

spectrefate wrote:
I think Scott Ian's irrational man-boy love for Pantera clouded judgement here. The new singer sounds like a Anselmo clone trying to copy John Bush.
That about sums it up. I think he even cusses more than Anselmo. Damn!

Either way, he's not a terrible singer, just very basic. I'll wait until an album drops.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 1:32 pm

i'll wait for the studio output before i make any conclusions. as a whole unit though, Anthrax just isn't that relevant any longer.

Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 1:40 pm

Well being at the show they were playing, I was not impressed live with him at all! Not impressed with Anthrax at all period. I thought he was a pretty generic vocalist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 1:43 pm

He seems ok....
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 3:01 pm

I dont like him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
ThrashedOutCobra33
Metal master
Metal master
ThrashedOutCobra33

Number of posts : 586

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 7:36 pm

Seems ok i guess
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 2:30 am

I'm just judging him by these clips...HELL NO!!!!!!!!!! This guy is all wrong for Anthrax and is a much worse replacement for Anthrax than Blaze was for Maiden. Hopefully he will sound better in the studio because this is just wrong IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 3:32 am

You can put me in the not impressed crowd as well. A little higher pitched and less gruffy vocalist would've fit Anthrax much better I think.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 8:28 am

He's definately a Anselmo clone trying to sound like John Bush but he actually sounded good on the song Madhouse.
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 12:11 pm

I thought he sounded ok, even if he's trying to sound like Phil a little. Plus, those are live clips, so his voice may have been tired out by then. Let's see how he sounds in studio.

And not being impressed with Anthrax is a valid opinion, but you can't deny Charlie's drumming. The guy can whip nearly anyone else in the genre. Not all, but close.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?   Opinions on the new Anthrax singer? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opinions on the new Anthrax singer?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next