Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Heaven & Hell at Merriweather Post Pavillion

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

Heaven & Hell at Merriweather Post Pavillion Empty
PostSubject: Heaven & Hell at Merriweather Post Pavillion   Heaven & Hell at Merriweather Post Pavillion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 1:53 pm

Had a great time at the Heaven and Hell show last night. We had lawn seats. Seemed like the turnout was disappointingly low and we probably could have gotten closer but the last time we were at Merriweather the seats were completely covered in old gum and heaps of various kinds of sludge so we just brought our beach chairs along and kept to the lawn. Of course we spent most of the show standing anyway but when we needed to give our feet a rest at least we had someplace to sit Smile

Coheed and Cambria were the openers but unfortunately we missed at least half of their set because of delays in getting there. They sounded like they were doing a pretty good cover of The Trooper when we arrived.
They sounded okay from what we heard, some interesting effects, but I can't say I'm going to be chasing down their stuff in any hurry.

Then Sabbath came on. I'm pretty bad at remembering set lists in order but it went something like this:

E5150/The Mob Rules
Children of the Sea
Bible Black
Fear
I
Falling Off the Edge of the World
Time Machine
Follow the Tears ("Dang this is heavy," my wife said Smile)
Die Young
Heaven & Hell
Encore - Country Girl (first part)/Neon Knights

I wanted them to play Sign of the Southern Cross but it wasn't to be, I guess, but I thought it was a nice mix of their four albums. Dio sounded very good - aside from his voice cracking once or twice, which I think is excusable due to fatigue more than anything, he sang everything dead on and was also a great frontman, with just the right mix of theatrics and interacting with the crowd. The rest of the band sounded great to my ears. The version of Heaven & Hell they played was a monster, extended out to something like at least 15 minutes long with Iommi and Geezer carrying most of the load wonderfully while Dio took a breather. Vinny had a drum solo in the middle which was alright, although compared to last drum solo I saw live (Rikki Rockett at the Poison/Def Leppard show) it was pretty fantastic Smile
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell at Merriweather Post Pavillion   Heaven & Hell at Merriweather Post Pavillion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 2:48 pm

Nice!!! I was wondering how the turnout would be at Heaven & Hell. I wasn't able to go to that one. They were trying to sell the tickets as a package with Priest and called it "Heavy Metal Weekend"

One of my friends stayed for the Heaven & Hell show
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell at Merriweather Post Pavillion   Heaven & Hell at Merriweather Post Pavillion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 3:01 pm

Joker man if you ever get a chance (if you haven't already) to see this line up of Black Sabbath live, go. What is most impressive is how strong and clear Dio sings, just an excellent band live.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell at Merriweather Post Pavillion   Heaven & Hell at Merriweather Post Pavillion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 3:21 pm

manny wrote:
Joker man if you ever get a chance (if you haven't already) to see this line up of Black Sabbath live, go. What is most impressive is how strong and clear Dio sings, just an excellent band live.

I saw them last year om the Metal Masters tour - I was impressed! They were awesome, hard to say who played better that night - H&H or Priest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell at Merriweather Post Pavillion   Heaven & Hell at Merriweather Post Pavillion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heaven & Hell at Merriweather Post Pavillion
Page 1 of 1