Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

High on Fire

Go down 
+14
SideShowDisaSter
sheets
Schbopo
TheGooch
sam
Lurideath
Hamer12
Todd Jaymz
ThrashedOutCobra33
nevermore
White_Mage
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
Mglaffas81
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 8:38 am

Any Fans? I personally love 'em 🤘
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 9:55 am

I've only heard a song or 2 on sattelite radio and they sound pretty decent, although I'm not completely sold on the vocals. I need to hear some more before I could make a fair judgement.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 10:04 am

Not real familiar with them. Saw them live a couple weeks ago and enjoyed them, even though their sound was terrible. (It wasn't them, it was whoever was running the soundboard.)

ult

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 10:52 am

ultmetal wrote:
Not real familiar with them. Saw them live a couple weeks ago and enjoyed them, even though their sound was terrible. (It wasn't them, it was whoever was running the soundboard.)

ult

I think you would like them - You know this new "retro-wave" going on? Well, these guys have been playing since 1993, but they sound similar to bands like the Sword, but with a bit more Traditional Metal flavour - Sabbath inspired Stoner-Doom, with a traditional Metal base, if you will. Good stuff
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 10:55 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

ult

I think you would like them - You know this new "retro-wave" going on? Well, these guys have been playing since 1993, but they sound similar to bands like the Sword, but with a bit more Traditional Metal flavour - Sabbath inspired Stoner-Doom, with a traditional Metal base, if you will. Good stuff

The little bit that I've heard sounded like it had some Motorhead flava to it. Is this accurate or am I off-base on this?
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 11:46 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

ult

The little bit that I've heard sounded like it had some Motorhead flava to it. Is this accurate or am I off-base on this?

yeah, that's pretty off-base - Try their MySpace page, listen to the songs available
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 12:23 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

ult

yeah, that's pretty off-base - Try their MySpace page, listen to the songs available

Eh, I guess I'm associating some of the speedi-ness with Motorhead. For a stoner/doom labeled band, the song's seem to be more up-tempo than I'm used to hearing for that genre (not that it's a bad thing, mind you). I'm still not totally sold on the vocals, but I don't hate 'em either. I think I'll have to investigte a little further with these guys.

By the way, their MYspace page blows. Only one song loads & plays. Anyone wanting to hear them would be better off going to YouTube and checking their videos.
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 11:01 pm

HOLY F*CK I can't belive I missed this thread I love High On Fire They've been one of my faovrite bands for years

Ult if you wanna check em out you should try there Blessed Black Wings album thats there best IMO or there new release Death Is This Commuion

Now I defenetly hear a Motorhead influence in them plus that Matt Pike says Lemmys one of his biggest influences. his vocals defently got some lemmy in them

MG: listen to thier early stuff the vox are a little less rough the got more of that stoner/doom sound IMO
Back to top Go down

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 12:04 am

I like them, but I think Matt Pike sings too heavy. An aggressive, but cleaner tone would do them well.

Also, there is most definitely a Motorhead feel to this band, in a lot of the vocals and the music. And there's no way they've been around since 1993.
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 8:03 pm

I love Matt Pikes heavy singing style, althought I do belive he did more melodic and clean singing in Kalas.

and High On Fire was formed in 1998 but Sleeps been around since '91
Back to top Go down

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 8:40 pm

White_Mage wrote:
I love Matt Pikes heavy singing style, althought I do belive he did more melodic and clean singing in Kalas.
Nah, he's sings heavy in Kalas. Heavier, I'd say. And that's an awesome album, too!
Back to top Go down

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 10:28 am

I used the search function....

High On Fire is one of my favorite bands, saw them about 5 months ago and they were INCREDIBLE. Matt Pike is one of the more interesting guitarists around, he plays very "outside" for a metal guitarist. There is most definitely a Motorhead influence on the band, but there is also loads of Sabbath, Celtic Frost and a variety of other ingredients in the mix.

But most importantly I think they're definitely on the way to having a sound completely their own. The growth from album to album has been very interesting, they continue to get thrashier as they go along...but the original doom elements are still there.

It took me awhile to warm up to the vocals, but they don't bother me anymore. Death Is This Communion is one of those records that grows on you over time, great stuff.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 11:57 am

High On Fire is great. Saw them open for Clutch once and they were awesome.
Back to top Go down

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 11:15 pm

Saw them open for Motorhead in 01 (?)

Great band !!! I now have all their releases but the debute and I am ordering it soon. Just an amazing band live and in studio.

Last edited by PeyoteWereWolf on Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 12:16 pm

Great live clips on this page, good sound quality.

http://blogs.guitarworld.com/metalkult/live-kult/hof/
Back to top Go down
ThrashedOutCobra33
Metal master
Metal master
ThrashedOutCobra33

Number of posts : 586

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 3:08 pm

I dig em
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 3:41 pm

Whoops - I mean 2003, not 1993
Back to top Go down

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 8:33 pm

Great clips detuned 🤘
Back to top Go down
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 8:40 pm

The band has evolved to a much more Metal sound since Mans Ruin released 1999's The Art Of Self Defense. I really have enjoyed to bands progression, though TAOSD has a great sound of it's own.-TJ
Back to top Go down

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 8:45 pm

I still need to pick that one up.
Back to top Go down

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 12:15 am

Matt Pike Guitar Lesson....

http://blogs.guitarworld.com/metalkult/videos/exclusive-high-on-fire-guitar-lesson/
Back to top Go down

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 1:52 am

Matt Pike owns 🤘
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 3:30 am

detuned wrote:
I used the search function....

High On Fire is one of my favorite bands, saw them about 5 months ago and they were INCREDIBLE. Matt Pike is one of the more interesting guitarists around, he plays very "outside" for a metal guitarist. There is most definitely a Motorhead influence on the band, but there is also loads of Sabbath, Celtic Frost and a variety of other ingredients in the mix.

But most importantly I think they're definitely on the way to having a sound completely their own. The growth from album to album has been very interesting, they continue to get thrashier as they go along...but the original doom elements are still there.

It took me awhile to warm up to the vocals, but they don't bother me anymore. Death Is This Communion is one of those records that grows on you over time, great stuff.

I'll second what Uncle Sax said

"I vote we make detuned an Admin he obviously has the most sense around here"
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 1:40 pm

Just picked up all 4 albums, like what I'm hearing so far.
Back to top Go down
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 4:58 pm

Excellent band!-TJ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

High on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: High on Fire   High on Fire Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

High on Fire
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next