Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Peter Gabriel

Go down 
+5
MetalGuy71
Shiney
Tall Tyrion
ultmetal
tohostudios
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 12:10 pm

I've been on a pretty big Peter Gabriel kick since Saturday...been spinning the heck out of both discs of "Hit"...the man is a genius...

Some of my favorite PG moments:

Shock The Monkey
Burn You Up, Burn You Down
Digging In The Dirt
San Jacinto
Red Rain
In Your Eyes
Family Snapshot
I Grieve

Any fans?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 12:15 pm

I love the "Melting Face" album. Very quirky but still melodic.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 12:15 pm

Peter Gabriel (III) is my favorite album of his. I love the drum work and percussion. Phil Collins played drums on the album. If you listen carefully you will notice there are no cymbals used on the album.

There is a German version of III that I would LOVE to hear as well. Haven't been able to locate a copy.

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 1:02 pm

I knew about the "no cymbals" thing...read about it on his website...

I really want to pick up his albums...this "Hit" collection is awesome!!
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 2:36 pm

Never had any albums, but I became a casual fan of his when I worked at
the radio station. Solsbury Hill was probably my favorite song to play.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 7:17 pm

I love and have all his work....

"Passion" is astounding....

"So" is a great foray into radio friendlier material....

But the first 3 self-titled are the tops.

His newer ones "Us" and "Up" are quite good as well...

"Family Snapshot" is my fave tune....

Administrator
ultmetal

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 1:50 pm

Have any of you heard the German version of III?

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 1:54 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Have any of you heard the German version of III?

No, why?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 1:55 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Peter Gabriel (III) is my favorite album of his. I love the drum work and percussion. Phil Collins played drums on the album. If you listen carefully you will notice there are no cymbals used on the album.

There is a German version of III that I would LOVE to hear as well. Haven't been able to locate a copy.

I'm not a fan nor am I familiar with his work outside of a few songs, but the "no cymbals" thing has me intrigued. Was there a reason for this or did it just work out that way?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 2:03 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I'm not a fan nor am I familiar with his work outside of a few songs, but the "no cymbals" thing has me intrigued. Was there a reason for this or did it just work out that way?

As I recall, it's just what Gabriel wanted. He wanted that more "tribal" sound and he got it. It sort of helped enter in Phil Collins' "cavernous" drums sound that he used with Genesis and his solo stuff.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 2:14 pm

ultmetal wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

As I recall, it's just what Gabriel wanted. He wanted that more "tribal" sound and he got it. It sort of helped enter in Phil Collins' "cavernous" drums sound that he used with Genesis and his solo stuff.

Interesting. Would you say it was a success or did it sound odd? Is it something you take notice immediately or is it more subtle?
Back to top Go down

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 2:23 pm

One of the few non-metal groups I don't turn off when they play. His live version of Red Rain is a moving song.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 2:25 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Interesting. Would you say it was a success or did it sound odd? Is it something you take notice immediately or is it more subtle?

Oh, it's awesome! One of my favorites all time albums. You don't even notice the lack of cymbals.

This is from KingGodSpace's CD Gallery:
Quote :
The best of the best Gabriel albums. Former Genesis mate Phil Collins does most of the stick-work here, and in fact developed his trademark cavernous drum sound on this album because Pete didn't want any cymbals! None at all! And you hardly ever notice.

Each song here is an insta-classic (well, except for "Lead a Normal Life", but that's not precisely a song.) The cavernous "Intruder" (which has been covered by Primus), the dance-able amnesia anthem "I Don't Remember" (covered by Daryl Braithwaite, and included on Digital Puppy II), the assassination fantasy "Family Snapshot", the quirky "Games Without Frontiers" ("Suki plays with Leo, Sascha plays with Britt/Adolf builds a bonfire, Enrico plays with it") But the real gem here is "Biko", a soaring paen to that South African dude who became the first and most popular apartheid martyr. Apartheid...remember that? Seems so long ago now...kinda like the Berlin Wall...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 5:48 pm

Shiney put family snapshot on my comp, and that`s one fantastic song!!!!
After that I`ve bought III and Passion. Great albums both!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 10:28 pm

Been a long time fan of his. Probably the only music my brother and I both have in common. Love the whole catalogue but for various reasons am partial to "US".

Though it is an over-played hit song, I am almost brought to tears by the twelve minute live version of "In Your Eyes". One of the most disappointing things about the time I saw him live was he did the four minute version.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 10:18 am

I didn't like some of his more recent stuff. Movie soundtrack music just doesn't float my boat. "Us" was the last album I really cared about.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 11:06 am

"Up" is pretty decent, Ult...Some it has a nod to his earlier wok as far as a dark eerie vibe is concerned...

And while I'm no fan of film scores much myself, I will admit "Passion" is flat out incredible...

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Bumping this because this Peter Gabriel cover is killer!!

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Spinning more Peter Gabriel today...the man is a genius.

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 6:09 pm

I hope Gabriel decides to work with Robert Fripp again at some point (Fripp produced his second solo album and Gabriel makes a guest appearance on Fripp's solo album "Exposure").
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 6:26 pm

I have the first four albums... I've only got around to jamming the first two so far though. Fripp also plays on the song "Exposure" on the 2nd solo album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Peter Gabriel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel   Peter Gabriel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Peter Gabriel
Page 1 of 1