Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

80's metal music on news show

Go down 
+5
metalinmyveins
Muloc7253
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
Lurideath
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

80's metal music on news show Empty
PostSubject: 80's metal music on news show   80's metal music on news show Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 4:41 pm

If you were around in the 80's you would remember the PMRC and the negative aspect metal got. To see for yourself how it was... check this out! This is a news show called 20/20 with Barbera Walters. Part 2 is next to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orrgV_piHPA&NR=1
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: 80's metal music on news show   80's metal music on news show Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 4:48 pm

Metal/rock deserves a lot of the negative flak it gets.

The hysteria in the metal community over the PMRC and "censorship" is/was simply hilarious.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: 80's metal music on news show   80's metal music on news show Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 4:54 pm

Ahhh, memories. Laughing

I love the way Barbara Walters pronounces the word "Heavy" in "Heavy Metal" like it's two words ("Hev EE")

I remember the riot in the parking lot at the Iron Maiden show they refer to at the start of this vid... I had wanted to go to that show, but after that news broke, I was glad I didn't!

That suicide in Bergenfield was big news around here too... a girl my brother dated went to high school with those kids. I lived about ten minutes from Bergenfield @ the time.

And WOW, those guys they show moshing are the most spazztic slam dancers I've ever seen! Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: 80's metal music on news show   80's metal music on news show Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 5:50 pm

Quote :
Metal/rock deserves a lot of the negative flak it gets

Why do you say that?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: 80's metal music on news show   80's metal music on news show Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 5:59 pm

The views it espouses through its lyrics are often base.

Love the music in many cases. A lot of the lyrics I can't defend.
Back to top Go down
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: 80's metal music on news show   80's metal music on news show Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 8:35 pm

Shouldn't joke about this folks, metal influences US to commit suicide, anyone one of us could be next!

:goodluck:

Beware bands that cover old Spooky Tooth songs with perfectly gentle lyrics!
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: 80's metal music on news show   80's metal music on news show Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 10:45 pm

I remember when this was on TV, and in fact I had it on tape for a good number of years. Obviously Maiden was on their "Somewhere In Time" tour, but if I'm not mistaken this show aired somewhere in the spring of 87. I remember having my buddies come over to watch this. 20/20 was the first real news show that devoted itself to covering a story about heavy metal.

The only other shows that I remember that really talked about metal were the Geraldo Rivera show, who was on a crusade against metal. Then I remember when Morton Downey had a show about metal. He was slightly indifferent to metal, but leaned on the side of making fun of it.

I had seen someone had posted this on youtube a little bit ago, but it's cool that someone posted about it on here. God that brought back a lot of memories!

Last edited by metalinmyveins on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: 80's metal music on news show   80's metal music on news show Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 10:47 pm

I have this on tape somewhere. Good memories!
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: 80's metal music on news show   80's metal music on news show Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 10:49 pm

Muloc7253 wrote:
Shouldn't joke about this folks, metal influences US to commit suicide, anyone one of us could be next!

:goodluck:

Beware bands that cover old Spooky Tooth songs with perfectly gentle lyrics!

Lemmy once stated that if it was true that heavy metal caused kids to kill themselves, then there would be corpses all over the streets!

All hail Lemmy!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 80's metal music on news show   80's metal music on news show Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 4:35 pm

angry
Seeing that video brought back all that anger I had from my teenage years, how the media consistently misunderstood heavy metal, it's fans and it's place in society at large.

...and when will people EVER figure out that Suicide Solution is about alcohol abuse and NOT suicide?

I'll say it again...

angry
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 80's metal music on news show   80's metal music on news show Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 4:45 pm

These clueless people try to explain what they don't understand,and remember Temple of Blood, art reflects what is happening in the culture, culture does not reflect the art.

I have no problems with views that heavy metal espouses to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 80's metal music on news show   80's metal music on news show Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 9:35 pm

I think that art reflects what's happening and affects the culture. There are some views that groups in metal do that we would not want to see practiced as normal.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: 80's metal music on news show   80's metal music on news show Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 11:24 pm

What is really sad about the PMRC is that they are not really trying to save anyone's life or soul. They don't even believe in the cause they espoused, they were simply the bored "Washington Wives" of senators and other political asshats who were bored of their country club lifestyle and wanted to show everyone that they can "make a difference in the world" just like their husbands lie about doing everyday. Just my 2 pennies. Peace.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 80's metal music on news show   80's metal music on news show Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 3:16 am

Nazgul wrote:
I think that art reflects what's happening and affects the culture. There are some views that groups in metal do that we would not want to see practiced as normal.

There are just as many views portrayed in Rap, Country, Television, Films, Books, Magazines and the Internet that we would rather not see practiced as the norm. Art is the mirror we use to see ourselves as we are...and sometimes that reflection ain't pretty.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: 80's metal music on news show   80's metal music on news show Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 10:07 am

Art does not merely reflect, art also influences and guides a culture. I do think that artists should own the message they are putting forth and deal with the flak it might cause.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 80's metal music on news show   80's metal music on news show Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 10:17 am

I agree with detuned, if people donot like the views expressed in music, movies or books than may be people should take a good look at themselves, look at their culture and their values. Art reflects that, it guides nothing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 80's metal music on news show   80's metal music on news show Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

80's metal music on news show
Page 1 of 1