Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Weekly Chest workout...

Go down 
+9
kethdredd
scottmitchell74
the sentinel
MetalRob331
Thrasher73
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
T-Roy
ultmetal
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 9:23 am

Good for you! You're at a good age for it, I believe. Make it a lifestyle!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 11:24 pm

I just love the natural "high" I get from it. I know you guys know what I mean, but it's hard to explain to the uninitiated. It's kind of like our music. We all love it for the feeling and emotions it brings to the surface, but not everyone can understand it. I went down the basement and just crushed it today ( chest, shoulders, back; supersets, strip-sets) and then went to work (2-10pm) and had a smile on my face the whole time. I just felt great. I will be sore tomorrow though.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 11:27 pm

Endorphins, baby!

By the way, I just today was at another Station for a few hours and a guy there was lamenting that he doesn't have a lifting partner. So, at least until he wusses out (I've got awful luck keeping partners) I'll have a partner for bench day. He's not so sure about squat and DL day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 11:44 pm

Good you found a partner, even if it's part time. Having someone push me always helps.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 11:55 pm

Oh, man, thanks. My meet is July 20. Well, my super-wuss BP isn't looking so hot but whatever it was going to end up by July 20 with me lifting solo I bet I can add 20-30 pounds by the meet with a true and CONSISTANT partner. SO, if 275 was my density then maybe 295-300??? I'm excited, to say the least. I waste SO MUCH energy getting that stuck bar off a me that it tends to put a damper on the rest of the session. No more getting stuck when I get "pinned".

Woo!!! very happy
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 8:44 pm

That's awesome, Scott, I wish you tons of luck. Btw, you mentioned a Station, are you a fireman?
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 9:31 pm

Sentinel - thanks for the kind words. Yes, I'm a fireman (although most of our job is EMS and training, it seems!)

First lift with that partner was O.K. I'm using his system for a while. I think I'll get stronger regardless at first just because of the presence of a partner. Soon, however, after I get a gauge on this guy we're gonna "take it up a notch!" He's a little laid back.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 2:32 am

I lifted my whole life until I got divorced 5 years ago; then I just gave up and started drinking beer. But luckily my job is active and I was able to keep my muscle tone, and I expect that the vascular infrastructure that was in place from a lifetime of lifting helped keep me from shriveling up too. Coincidentally yesterday I saw myself in the mirror and said, hey not so bad for 50, maybe I should start a routine again instead of giving up and dying. So I did and I intend to keep it up. Nothing major, low weight, high reps. But it feels good to be sore right now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 7:01 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
then I just gave up and started drinking beer.

Welcome to my world. Smile
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 7:54 am

Quote :
Nothing major, low weight, high reps. But it feels good to be sore right now.

Good for you SAHB!

Eventually that's what I will do. A few years ago as I was thinking about my life and looking at those around me I decided "I'm gonna wear this body out. I'm not going to be 75 years old all crippled and achey thinking 'I wish I would have done more'" I thought "If I'm gonna be old and achey anyhow, let's burn this baby up".

SO, I use caution but I'm going to lift hard, play ball, play hard until my body makes me stop. Then I plan on settling into the "keep it simple" routine you're planning. High reps for maintainence.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 11:43 am

Best chest workout ever yesterday!!!

Flat Bench (Barbell)
135lbs. x 12 reps
225lbs. x 12
315lbs. x 5
365lbs. x 1 (A personal best for me)

Incline Bench (Barbell)
135lbs. x 12 reps
155lbs. x 12
185lbs. x 12

Decline Bench (Barbell)
205lbs. x 12 reps
245lbs. x 12
275lbs. x 10

Peck Deck
3 sets @ 100, 110, 120lbs. each

Finished off with bench press, high reps, light weight.
135lbs. x 30 reps
135lbs. x 25 reps
135lbs. x 23 reps

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 11:52 am

Keep it up SAHB. I've been lifting most of my adult life and have more or less concentrated on high reps though I have spates of trying to power lift. I have a hard time keeping weight on much less gaining but at 40 I don't have a gut and feel pretty good. Except for a damaged and arthritic knee. angry

Scott-what will the meet focus on?
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 5:25 pm

Quote :
Scott-what will the meet focus on?

You talking to me or Ult? If me, then........

The meet is your best in three lifts:

In this order - BP, Squat, DL

You get three attempts in each category. The total of your 3 best lifts determine your place. If you make your opener then you add weight. In some federations World Records may be attempted on a 4th lift. Not an issue for me of course of 99% of the lifting World, but it's comes into play once in a while.

I'm WAY too un-powerful to place, and I've never been willing to take measures, so I just lift against myself, so to speak.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 10:53 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Best chest workout ever yesterday!!!

Flat Bench (Barbell)
135lbs. x 12 reps
225lbs. x 12
315lbs. x 5
365lbs. x 1 (A personal best for me)

Incline Bench (Barbell)
135lbs. x 12 reps
155lbs. x 12
185lbs. x 12

Decline Bench (Barbell)
205lbs. x 12 reps
245lbs. x 12
275lbs. x 10

Peck Deck
3 sets @ 100, 110, 120lbs. each

Finished off with bench press, high reps, light weight.
135lbs. x 30 reps
135lbs. x 25 reps
135lbs. x 23 reps

God Bless ya, Brother!!! 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 11:21 pm

Quote :
I bet I can add 20-30 pounds by the meet with a true and CONSISTANT partner

My "partner" just called and said he can't make it tomorrow!!! We've only lifted 2 times!!! This is a new record for me for quickness of first bail. I haven't even said "let's take it up notch" yet!!
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 8:52 pm

Incline-245-failure 3 sets
Decline-215-failure 3 sets
Flat-325-failure 3 sets
Flies-65lb. dumbells 5-8 reps 3 times

I try to work out to failure because if I can accomplish all my reps every set I feel like I'm cheating my self.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 9:10 pm

akeldama wrote:
Flat-325-failure 3 sets

I try to work out to failure because if I can accomplish all my reps every set I feel like I'm cheating my self.

Good stuff, brother! I like the concept of going to failure but can't use b/c of the program I am on.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 9:12 pm

the sentinel wrote:
akeldama wrote:
Flat-325-failure 3 sets

Good stuff, brother! I like the concept of going to failure but can't use b/c of the program I am on.

b/c? call me dumb but what is that?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 9:14 pm

b/c=because
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 9:16 pm

spectrefate wrote:
b/c=because

Thanx Spec, duh moment there. scratch
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 9:17 pm

I would never call you dumb. Do you mean the "b/c"? It's simply an abbreviation for the word because. I use a program I found on the bodybuilding.com forum called The 5 x5 Method. It's a power lifting program where you do 5 reps and 5 sets of something and when you can complete all 5 reps and sets with perfect form you move up by 5 or 10 pounds for the next workout. And hopefully the cycle continues to repeat itself. It has helped me move up in my core exercises quite a bit. Peace.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 9:18 pm

the sentinel wrote:
I would never call you dumb. Do you mean the "b/c"? It's simply an abbreviation for the word because. I use a program I found on the bodybuilding.com forum called The 5 x5 Method. It's a power lifting program where you do 5 reps and 5 sets of something and when you can complete all 5 reps and sets with perfect form you move up by 5 or 10 pounds for the next workout. And hopefully the cycle continues to repeat itself. It has helped me move up in my core exercises quite a bit. Peace.

Nice!!! Sounds like I'll try that out. What percentage of your max do you start out on?
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 9:24 pm

I would say 80% (at the time - last January)

On January first I maxed out at 200 lbs. on the Bench and increased that to 305 a few weeks ago. It's not my idea, but I thought it sounded good because I didn't know how to move up other than that. I am meticulous with writing everything down so I know what I have done and have to do. I made a mistake of not doing this in my 20's and I feel it cost me some. Peace.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 9:25 pm

I would say 80% (at the time - last January)

On January first I maxed out at 200 lbs. on the Bench and increased that to 305 a few weeks ago. It's not my idea, but I thought it sounded good because I didn't know how to move up other than that. I am meticulous with writing everything down so I know what I have done and have to do. I made a mistake of not doing this in my 20's and I feel it cost me some. Peace.

Whopps! How do I get rid of this?
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 9:29 pm

Thanx for the info Bro, I'll try that out for sure...I got stubborn biceps. angry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Chest workout...   Weekly Chest workout... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weekly Chest workout...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2