Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95

Go down 
+5
ultmetal
krokus
sovdat
mc666
DallasBlack
9 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 Empty
PostSubject: Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95   Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 3:17 am

Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 1190040451_izmenenie-razmera-coverand
Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 1184516486_kopija_paradise_lost__draconian_times_front

I listened to both those the other day and it dawned on me how much I love the music on both. On these albums both bands displayed music unlike any I've heard since. Nothing I've heard from those two since had compared to the music on these albums. When I listen to both these memories of the past flood my mind. I remember what the weather was like on the days I listened to them, where I first heard them, where I got them at, and things like that. Definatly two of my favortite albums of all time. Thoughts on these?
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95   Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 3:26 am

that was the last Sentenced album that i really enjoyed. they switched vocal styles after that & i just couldn't get used to it. Amok was a classic though.

Draconian Times was the begining of a very dull period for Paradise Lost. it was the album that made me lose interest.

sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95   Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 4:13 am

I agree with Paradise Lost, one of the best from the 90s for sure!!! Even better than Icon!
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95   Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 5:35 am

I also lost interest in PARADISE LOST with that album. ICON was still okay but DRAGONIAN TIMES, neeeee.
Anyway, about SENTENCED, i never carred about them.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95   Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 8:31 am

I guess I'm less prejuduce of Draconian Times due to the fact that it was my first introduction to them. Though I will agree that AFTER this album they became boring and uninteresting, but thats just me.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95   Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 11:53 am

I love Draconian Times. Great release IMO.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95   Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 12:23 pm

Never heard Sentenced. I have Paradise Lost's Draconian Times but haven't listened to it in quite some time. I'll have to break that one out this week.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95   Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 12:40 pm

I'm the opposite to MC666, I like everything that Sentenced done since that album, I never cared much for Death Metal and while "Amok" was the start of the bands departure away from the Death genre, I just perfer Ville's Vocals.

As for Paradise Lost, "Icon" was the highlight of their career in my opinion, I was hard for them to follow up that album.

Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95   Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 7:10 pm

I didn't care for that Sentenced album. I liked their "Down" release but never cared for any ofter that either. I was really big into their early stuff when they were death metal.

That Paradise Lost was the last good album they made. Everything after it was uninspired to me. Nothing will ever beat Shades of God though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95   Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2007 7:21 am

Lurideath wrote:

That Paradise Lost was the last good album they made. Everything after it was uninspired to me. Nothing will ever beat Shades of God though.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95   Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2007 2:42 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Never heard Sentenced. I have Paradise Lost's Draconian Times but haven't listened to it in quite some time. I'll have to break that one out this week.

I'm listening to Draconian Times and remembering how much I like it. It's the only one I've heard, and judging from some of the other replies here, it seems to be their last good one. What has changed in their newer releases? And are their older releases in the same style/category of Draconian?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95   Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2007 2:49 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I'm listening to Draconian Times and remembering how much I like it. It's the only one I've heard, and judging from some of the other replies here, it seems to be their last good one. What has changed in their newer releases? And are their older releases in the same style/category of Draconian?

These are my thoughts on the other PL releases:

Lost Paradise : Straight up Death metal (good for completists, but I like it)
Gothic : Doom Death is born (very good album)
Shades of God - Genius!
Icon - Genius Part Deux! (melody creeps in)
Draconian Times - Heavy Melodic metal (Great album)
One Second - If Duran Duran were a metal band, this would be their debut

I haven't heard anything after One Second. It was a HUGE disappointment. The first 5 albums are all different but you can tell they are from the same band. You can't go wrong with any of them.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Metal master
Metal master
Invader

Number of posts : 590

PostSubject: Re: Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95   Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2007 3:24 pm

Amok is a great album, probably my favorite Sentenced album.

I have only heard some songs from Draconian Times, but those songs sounded good.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

PostSubject: Re: Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95   Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2007 9:56 pm

Amok was the album that got me into Sentenced. I was glad they made the transition away from death metal.

Draconian Times is a really good album,too. I know several people who lost interest in PL when this came out but I think it's a very strong album.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95   Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 12:00 am

Do those who don't like Draconian Times at least aknowledge that is was unique? I personally never heard anything like it before or since. Same thing for Amok (or any other Sentenced album for that matter).
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95   Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 12:25 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Do those who don't like Draconian Times at least aknowledge that is was unique? I personally never heard anything like it before or since. Same thing for Amok (or any other Sentenced album for that matter).
yeah, i'll give it that. they went a different route than Anathema & My Dying Bride.

i will also say that their 2005 self titled album & this years In Requiem were decent return to this Draconian Times style, with a mixture of their earlier & later works. you should check them out if you are a fan of that album.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95   Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 1:01 am

mc666 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
yeah, i'll give it that. they went a different route than Anathema & My Dying Bride.

i will also say that their 2005 self titled album & this years In Requiem were decent return to this Draconian Times style, with a mixture of their earlier & later works. you should check them out if you are a fan of that album.

I most certainly will do that, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95   Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Two of the best, if not the most unique albums of '95
Page 1 of 1