Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

cut-out albums

Go down 
+3
Fat Freddy
Wargod
Stender
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

cut-out albums Empty
PostSubject: cut-out albums   cut-out albums Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 1:13 am

I know what they are and how they can drop a discs price faster then you can even say "cutout", but why? Is it a promotional or radiostation thing to keep track of CD's? I'm kind of new to the whole collecters deal, just wondering....
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

cut-out albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: cut-out albums   cut-out albums Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 10:01 am

I used to buy cutouts on vinyl alot back in the 70's and 80's I think the reason was to get rid of them as those were not selling as fast as most wanted them to!

You will see the "(C)" designation at the end of the album description area on some albums. This means the record was a "Cutout". A cutout refers to a small physical mark or cut on the album cover. It can be a small hole or slit in the album cover, but it does not affect the actual record. These records were "leftovers" produced by the record company and sold at a discount to retailers. Cutouts are priced no higher than "Better than Poor but Below Good" (4) condition, but they could have a "99" condition rating.

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

cut-out albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: cut-out albums   cut-out albums Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 10:04 am

Hardcore collectors hate cut outs because they generally want their albums/CDs as "mint" and unmarked as possible, but if it weren't for record store cut-out bins back in the 80s, I never would've had as many albums as I did!

Back then at least, an album became a "cut-out" when the label was discontinuing a title, so marking them with a punch or drill hole thru the UPC code was a way of signifying to retailers "Just sell'em off as cheap as you can, we don't care."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

cut-out albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: cut-out albums   cut-out albums Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 11:36 am

I used to have cutouts that actually had the upper right corner of the album jacket cut off.

I think the album I saw the most while browsing cutout bins was The Who's "Odds and Sods". To this day I wonder if there is anything decent on that one.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

cut-out albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: cut-out albums   cut-out albums Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 5:30 pm

I bought em too - I remember buying KISS - Peter Criss as a cut out. Ace wasn't available as a cut out.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

cut-out albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: cut-out albums   cut-out albums Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 9:12 am

tohostudios wrote:
I used to have cutouts that actually had the upper right corner of the album jacket cut off.

I have a couple of LPs like that too.

I think the most common cut-outs I saw back in my vinyl buying days were AC/DC's FLICK OF THE SWITCH, FLY ON THE WALL and WHO MADE WHO. I remember buying all three of those for $2.99 apiece at the drug store (!) around the corner from my house, and it seemed like any time I looked thru the cheap-o bins at any other stores, those three albums always popped up.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

cut-out albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: cut-out albums   cut-out albums Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 9:14 am

It allows retailers to sell them below cost as "damaged" legally so they can write them off as a loss.
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

cut-out albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: cut-out albums   cut-out albums Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 6:23 pm

Just the other day I bought a couple of "Promo Cutout" CDs at the store, but they were just as new and shrink-wrapped and normal as anything else on the regular shelf....do those count? Smile

The sticker on the back said Promo Cutout...don't know why. Oh, well, I don't care. They were only $5.99 ea.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

cut-out albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: cut-out albums   cut-out albums Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 6:14 am

Wow! ALways thought they were just overstocks -I didn't realise there were so many varieties -especially not that they were marked to count as a loss.

Annoying when a CD you buy on ebay turns up as a cutout but it wasn't mentioned in the item description.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

cut-out albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: cut-out albums   cut-out albums Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cut-out albums
Page 1 of 1