Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Mars Volta

Go down 
+4
Shiney
MetalGuy71
Addy
ultmetal
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

The Mars Volta Empty
PostSubject: The Mars Volta   The Mars Volta Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 10:10 am

Is anyone familiar with this band? Someone suggested I check 'em out so I added them to my LaLa list and received "Frances the Mute" as an insta-ship. Haven't yet listened to it as of posting this. Just curious what others think of them.

ult

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

The Mars Volta Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mars Volta   The Mars Volta Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 10:11 am

Ive heard of them but not heard them sorry i cant be more help
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Mars Volta Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mars Volta   The Mars Volta Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 10:18 am

I saw them doing a live performance on IFC's Henry Rollins Show. It sounded like horrible noise to me. Some may call it avante garde, but it's not something I want to hear ever again.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

The Mars Volta Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mars Volta   The Mars Volta Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 11:31 am

Heard about 3/4 of the disc at work this morning. A bit to trippy and experimental for me at this time of the day. Might be a cool listen late in the evening while kicking back. I'll have to give that try sometime soon. Some of it reminded me of the more experimental stuff Pink Floyd did in the late 60's (Umagumma, Atom Heart Mother, etc.)

The Mars Volta Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mars Volta   The Mars Volta Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 2:38 pm

I hate this band. Not because they're crap, but because they could be so good! They have some brilliant songs, but then they go and do that trippy noise nonsense too much. "The Widow" and "L'Via L'Viaquez" are both excellent songs from this album; the others are poo. Or at least mostly poo. I thought the same about their debut. A couple killer songs, a whole lot of nonsense. I haven't tried anything after Francis, though.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

The Mars Volta Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mars Volta   The Mars Volta Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 4:27 pm

MARS VOLTA are okay...

I may be biased from my fierce love of AT THE DRIVE IN...

But I feel "De-Loused" is a much stronger album....

"Frances" is burdened by too much artsy fartsy noodling...and not so solid song writing...they could be the greatest band ever if they stopped believing everything written about them...

Metal student
Metal student
criss3o

Number of posts : 176

The Mars Volta Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mars Volta   The Mars Volta Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 3:20 am

What a Face I LOVE the 1st 2 albums! But I am a Huge fan of Prog and Non-Commercial/Odd music from Frank Zappa to Ween! They are not an every day listen, but when you're in the mood for someting differant, but very musical, these guys deliver!What a Face
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

The Mars Volta Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mars Volta   The Mars Volta Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 11:26 pm

I like 'em. A little trippy like ult said, but a good listen. The Latin flavor in the music is interesting.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

The Mars Volta Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mars Volta   The Mars Volta Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 8:11 am

When we went to see RUSH a few weeks back, they were playing MARS VOLTA over their system before they took the stage which inspired me to dig out the cds...

I still say "Deloused" is a great records and not as weighted ith the soundscapy stuff...but they are definitely good...when they play SONGS.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

The Mars Volta Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mars Volta   The Mars Volta Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 12:34 pm

"Deloused " is the only album I own from them so far and I love it, I can't speak about "Frances" or any of the otherdiscs since I don't own them, but "Deloused" is great and maybe their most straightforward disc, their music is definitely not for everyone and it may take a couple of spins before you like it.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

The Mars Volta Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mars Volta   The Mars Volta Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 7:10 pm

I love them for the most part. I wouldn't have gone with 'Frances' personally as an introduction, as I think 'Deloused..' and 'Amputechture' are the best they have. 'Frances' and the newest one I like the least.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Mars Volta Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mars Volta   The Mars Volta Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Mars Volta
Page 1 of 1