Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mars Volta any good?

Go down 
+7
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
bassman
Schbopo
Eyesore
MetalH
fingers
11 posters
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Mars Volta any good? Empty
PostSubject: Mars Volta any good?   Mars Volta any good? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 4:32 pm

What albums do you recommend me listening to by them and what are your opinions on them? I heard they are like the 21st Century version of Led Zeppelin
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

PostSubject: Re: Mars Volta any good?   Mars Volta any good? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 6:41 pm

I recommend De-loused In the Comatorium. I wouldn't classify them as being anything like Led Zeppelin.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Mars Volta any good?   Mars Volta any good? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 7:06 pm

They're good for two songs.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Mars Volta any good?   Mars Volta any good? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 9:30 pm

Yes they are fantastic. Frances The Mute is their best by far.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Mars Volta any good?   Mars Volta any good? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 10:27 pm

Juan Alderete is a fantastic bassist, I just can't get into this band as a whole.
Don't know why, it doesn't work for me.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Mars Volta any good?   Mars Volta any good? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 11:14 pm

Love this tune.

Love this one even more, and it sounds so similar.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Mars Volta any good?   Mars Volta any good? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 8:34 am

I had Frances the Mute for a short time and liked what I heard. I traded it because I really wanted the CD up for trade. I'd like to get that CD back again someday.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Mars Volta any good?   Mars Volta any good? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 9:52 am

bassman wrote:
Juan Alderete is a fantastic bassist, I just can't get into this band as a whole.

Juan Alderete aka John Alderete from Racer X? I didn't know he was in the Mars Volta. Neat-o.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12614

PostSubject: Re: Mars Volta any good?   Mars Volta any good? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 10:58 am

I drummed against the old drummer (Thomas Pridgen) in a Northern California drum off competition and was eliminated. What I did back then would of been better received today.

One of the judges labeled me barely a notch or two beyond a one trick pony \'arry \'eadbanger

Funny thing...a few years later, while playing at a Sacramento Blues Society BBQ fundraiser. Same dude commented on the feel and approach to my playing style. Oblivious to the past.

Darn it, why did somobody sa Racer X....gotta put on "Second Heat" now.

Laterz

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Mars Volta any good?   Mars Volta any good? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 12:49 pm

I would describe them more as a 21st Century King Crimson Larks Tongue in Aspic to Red-era... type.

The album Frances The Mute is Good. You can also download the Frances The Mute single (it's about 14 minutes) from iTunes. If you like dissonance, you'll like them.
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Mars Volta any good?   Mars Volta any good? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 3:17 pm

chewie wrote:
I would describe them more as a 21st Century King Crimson Larks Tongue in Aspic to Red-era... type.

The album Frances The Mute is Good. You can also download the Frances The Mute single (it's about 14 minutes) from iTunes. If you like dissonance, you'll like them.

I agree with this completely. TMV has a lot of similarity to King Crimson. I am a big fan and have all their studio releases. I think that the easiest album to get into first would be Deloused in the Comatorium. The only album of theirs that I don't care for is their last one, Octahedron. I recommend all their other releases pretty highly.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Mars Volta any good?   Mars Volta any good? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 3:46 pm

That Mars Volta tune sounded better than I expected. I'm not sure what I expected, but I was pleasantly surprised. Might have to investigate a little more.

That Parlor Mob song reminded me of 'Since I've Been Lovin' You" by Zep. And that too was better than I expected.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Mars Volta any good?   Mars Volta any good? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 4:03 pm

The Parlor Mob is fantastic.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Mars Volta any good?   Mars Volta any good? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2010 3:34 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
bassman wrote:

Juan Alderete aka John Alderete from Racer X? I didn't know he was in the Mars Volta. Neat-o.

Yes, indeed. That is the same Mr. Alderete of Racer X fame, a bassist who can fit into any playing situation and sound right at home.
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Mars Volta any good?   Mars Volta any good? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2010 4:44 pm

Anyone have any strong opinions on their fourth album, The Bedlam in Goliath? It (along with predecessor Amputechture) seems to have garnered quite a variety of reviews. Some people absolutely love it, and others complain that it is too filled with intensity. Personally, I think Bedlam is pure brilliance. It is definitely a lot more intense and aggressive than their previous efforts; it also is filled with some killer rhythms throughout. I think I have about 4 or 5 favorite tracks; it's hard to pick just one.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9883

PostSubject: Re: Mars Volta any good?   Mars Volta any good? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 10:53 am

Not close to the ZEPS at all

Still, an enjoyable sound.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mars Volta any good?   Mars Volta any good? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mars Volta any good?
Page 1 of 1