Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?

Go down 
+13
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
scottmitchell74
Wrecked Neck
Gilbert
Thrasher73
Troublezone
Big Rich
nevermore
Lari
exact33
James B.
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12635

The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Empty
PostSubject: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 3:12 pm

Our friend from Denmark recently posted in the current Metallica thread that "The Black Album" AKA "S/T" was/is one of the greatest metal releases ever.

What do you think holds the honor and why?

Is is the group of songs, innovation musicianship, sales, era, or just your favorite album by your favorite band.

Try to do more than just band and album, I'm interested in details as to why, thanks!

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 3:33 pm

that is a toughie.

Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 4:08 pm

Definite 'greatest'.

Something real objective? Impact to genre etc? I know what my favourites are. But that's totally subjective.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25910

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 4:52 pm

It's very subjective for sure. I don't know if I could honestly pick just one as the all time greatest.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 675

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 5:50 pm

Ride the Lightning
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 6:45 pm

I could say one thing today and something different tomorrow...

Here are some possible contenders:

Master of Puppets
Arise
Diary of a Madman
Painkiller
Seasons in the Abyss
Lights Camera Revolution
Peace Sells... But Who’s Buying?

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 7:40 pm

Lari wrote:
Definite 'greatest'.

Something real objective? Impact to genre etc? I know what my favourites are. But that's totally subjective.

That is my purpose for asking " why" in the original post. Also notice there is some elaboration as to what might construe one's particular parameters in the original post as well.

An answer to any question asking "greatest" is going to be subjective, but one can use objectivity if desired by utilizing facts regarding their particular answer.

Example: Brees is the greatest QB ever cause he has over 7,000 career completions.

Yet in the end it is just opinion, and that is what I asked for to begin with.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 7:47 pm

Big Rich wrote:
Ride the Lightning

May I ask why?

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 9:30 pm

My reasons:

1. Overall songwriting
2. Musicianship
3. Production/sound
4. Mood/feeling
5. Lyrical topics
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 10:06 pm

Totally subjective but I’ll list mine and the reasons why.

Metallica-Master of Puppets, certified platinum 6x, an album that has stood the test of time. Still as good as the first time I heard it. Still play it pretty regular. Their magnum opus imo.

Black Sabbath-Heaven and Hell, Sabbath were already innovators in metal and when Dio came in it just thrusted them into another league. The songwriting the overall sound and the best vocalist to ever live.

Megadeth-Peace Sells, my personal favorite of theirs. Fans will no doubt give this album high ratings but will usually pick Rust In Peace as their top album. Love that album as well but to me Peace Sells just all came together from raw to technical thrash. The song structures, time changes and riffs galore.

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 11:58 pm

If you go by sales, maybe Back in Black by AC/DC.

Impact, then Black Sabbat debut.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 12:49 am

The first one I would think of is Painkiller.

Why? It was the first JP album for me, and it left me amazed. Aggressive, fast, with those unearthly glass shattering vocals; you don't press the skip button once, all the songs are instantly memorable.

Most importantly, it's an album i still come back to decades later.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 1:07 am

The first Metal Church album is pretty close to perfect!
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 2:04 am

Gilbert wrote:

Why? It was the first JP album for me, and it left me amazed. Aggressive, fast, with those unearthly glass shattering vocals; you don't press the skip button once, all the songs are instantly memorable.

I just listened to it today, and agree about pretty much everything you say. It's not my favorite album all time, not even my favorite JP album, but it's a masterpiece from start to finish.

My favorite all time album is Don't Break the Oath. There is just something that really hits home with me, and I have never gotten tired of listening to it since I first heard it in 1984. I probably still listen to it at least once a month. Whenever I'm in a bad mood, it's the one I turn to when I need to relax. It's a perfect album to my ears, and the whole vibe, Kings voice, and the overall production on it is haunting, beautiful and simply amazing.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 8:30 am

Good suggestions!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 8:35 am

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath - It's the wellspring from which all others flow.

If you don't buy that one, then Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny. The album that laid down the template for heavy metal going forward.

Fat Freddy likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39652

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 11:08 am

I don't know if I could pick one. Too hard to narrow it down.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 11:17 am

I don't know what I would consider the greatest of all time, but it sure as hell wouldn't be the friggin Black Album. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Lari likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 12:07 pm

How about Paranoid?

I mean, on top of still being in that 'pioneering a new genre' time period, it was a massive commercial success.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 12:15 pm

Wrecked Neck wrote:

My favorite all time album is Don't Break the Oath. There is just something that really hits home with me, and I have never gotten tired of listening to it since I first heard it in 1984. I probably still listen to it at least once a month. Whenever I'm in a bad mood, it's the one I turn to when I need to relax. It's a perfect album to my ears, and the whole vibe, Kings voice, and the overall production on it is haunting, beautiful and simply amazing.

I'd seen "Melissa" in a record store in L.A, but funds were tight cause it was close to time for hitting the regional club circuits down south and back east. In 84, when DBTO came out and I heard it.... Wow! It was a game changer for sures. The guitar tones and the voice set a mood that made the lyrics intriguing once you figured them all out. Great choice!

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 12:44 pm

Easily Judas Priest Sin After Sin for me. The song writing was melodic, yet muscular & lyrically intelligent. The musicianship was top notch. The drumming on this one was powerful, yet kinda jazzy. Guitar work is immaculate of course, & I won't even try to describe the vocal performance. Even the eerie cover artwork added to it's mysterious vibe. It had the perfect ballads & one of the heaviest rockers of that period. The perfect album opener & an absolutely majestic closer in the last two songs. It has always been the perfect album to my ears.

Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 1:11 pm

mc666 wrote:
Easily Judas Priest Sin After Sin for me. The song writing was melodic, yet muscular & lyrically intelligent. The musicianship was top notch. The drumming on this one was powerful, yet kinda jazzy.  Guitar work is immaculate of course, & I won't even try to describe the vocal performance. Even the eerie cover artwork added to it's mysterious vibe. It had the perfect ballads & one of the heaviest rockers of that period. The perfect album opener & an absolutely majestic closer in the last two songs. It has always been the perfect album to my ears.
Turbulently produced by Roger Glover. I don't think Roger was ever that happy with the end result, saying the band went on to do greater things without him.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 1:32 pm

Lari wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Easily Judas Priest Sin After Sin for me. The song writing was melodic, yet muscular & lyrically intelligent. The musicianship was top notch. The drumming on this one was powerful, yet kinda jazzy.  Guitar work is immaculate of course, & I won't even try to describe the vocal performance. Even the eerie cover artwork added to it's mysterious vibe. It had the perfect ballads & one of the heaviest rockers of that period. The perfect album opener & an absolutely majestic closer in the last two songs. It has always been the perfect album to my ears.

Turbulently produced by Roger Glover. I don't think Roger was ever that happy with the end result, saying the band went on to do greater things without him.

I think was just overly critical of himself. I think the production was crisp and clear for the time. A huge leap over the first two production-wise.

Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 2:36 pm

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

I just listened to it today, and agree about pretty much everything you say. It's not my favorite album all time, not even my favorite JP album, but it's a masterpiece from start to finish.

I definitely need to add some Mercyful Fate to my collection.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 3:02 pm

I have trouble with the shrill vocals. Especially since that's not his natural voice, it's a very shrieky falsetto that's not really something I associate with what I consider enjoyable. But I do appreciate the effort it must take. And it is extreme. It is supposed to be extreme. It is not meant to be enjoyed by the masses. It's definitely more extreme than cookie monster.

EDIT: I do own a King Diamond / Mercyful Fate best of CD, A Dangerous Meeting. I play it every now and then. But I need to be in the mood.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?   The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next