Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nevermore

Go down 
+12
corplhicks
nevermore
MetalGuy71
Gilbert
Lari
Thrasher73
Wurthless
Wrecked Neck
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2019 7:48 pm

Yeah - I am talking to YOU Nevermore! haha.  Honestly, I heard one of their songs 20 years ago and dismissed it as "not sounding Sanctuary-ish enough".  So, I completely shut this band out.  My odometer flipped 50 a few days ago, and I want to start exploring some bands that I have poo-poo'ed  sign  in my pre-50's [self-ouch  Nevermore 12087 ] .  Still ain't gonna listen to Iced Earth, as much as I am a Ripper fan.  But, let's start the debate with Nevermore.  Why should I dig deeper into these guys.  And, knowing my musical tastes, where should I start?  [Look!  I am even using emoticons now!  Nevermore 792498 ]
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2019 7:50 pm

They were always hit-and-miss with me tho I love Dead Heart in a Dead World and This Godless Endeavor.

I have a few of their other CDs but those two get the most play.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2019 9:16 pm

The Politics Of Ecstasy is at the top for me.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 2:21 am

Nevermore was more focused on musical heaviness rather than the helium type vocals of Sanctuary. Warrel definitely used his lower range voice as well.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 2:38 am

I'd start with Iced Earth and forget Nevermore lol
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 3:16 am

my favorite nevermore releases are the s/t, the EP In Memory, and Dead Heart in a Dead World. but honestly, i haven't heard a bad album from them that i've dug into.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 4:36 am

Uncle Sax, start with their self titled. You’ll see the progression from Into the Mirror Black to the Nevermore sound. Dane still uses the higher pitched vocals at times on this one as well.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 5:15 am

I like the Politics of Ecstacy and Dreaming Neon Black. Those were before the downtuned 7-string guitar sound. A bit more classic metal sounding, but still eery and cacophonic. I always thought Nevermore had a bit of death metal influence in their instrumentation.

The later albums were a little jarring with the 7-string Loomis sound. At least to me. Though Dead Heart has some of their best songs.

Maybe start chronologically? I think knowing your tastes, you'll enjoy the early stuff better, but it's possible you can then develop a taste for the band's sound and appreciate the more modern approach as well.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 7:30 am

I own the entire Nevermore discography, despite not being a total fan. Don't ask me why and how.

I love some of their songs but they are too hard to get into imo.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 1:48 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
Uncle Sax, start with their self titled. You’ll see the progression from Into the Mirror Black to the Nevermore sound. Dane still uses the higher pitched vocals at times on this one as well.

I'd agree. Go chronological, starting with the s/t. I feel like they got better with each subsequent release up to This Godless Endeavor. The Obsidian Conspiracy is good too, but they kinda leveled off at that point.

Dead Heart... is probably my favorite. The live album Year of the Voyager is non-essential in my opinion. It reeks of "contractual obligation".

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25905

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Well Nevermore were a tad bit darker than Sanctuary. I'm not sure if that was the turn off point for you or the fact that Warrell wasn't hitting the high notes vocal wise. Musically the sound was more down-tuned compared to the first 2 Sanctuary albums as well.

As others have said start with the S/T and go through This Godless Endeavor. The song writing improved from release to release. But if you're looking for one definitive album go with Dreaming Neon Black.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 3:24 pm

They tend to have really weirdly mastered albums, like the uber-sludgy brickwalled mess that Dead Heart is, but it's all top-notch songwriting. Honestly I like the debut the most. It's a simply digestible thrash platter with a few trimmings and pairs well with a cold one. Loomis is one hell of a guitarist. Everyone should at least check out the latest Arch Enemy album for his lead work. It's phenomenal. His solo albums are pretty cool too.

Gilbert, send me your Nevermore! greedy
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 9:26 pm

corplhicks wrote:
They tend to have really weirdly mastered albums, like the uber-sludgy brickwalled mess that Dead Heart is, but it's all top-notch songwriting. Honestly I like the debut the most. It's a simply digestible thrash platter with a few trimmings and pairs well with a cold one. Loomis is one hell of a guitarist. Everyone should at least check out the latest Arch Enemy album for his lead work. It's phenomenal. His solo albums are pretty cool too.

Gilbert, send me your Nevermore! greedy

Enemies Of Reality was the one album with a horrible mix. Then the band and label agreed to have it remixed which sounded better.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 10:28 pm

I like their full catalogue, but I count This Godless Endeavor among my top 10 favorite metal albums of all time.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 11:32 pm

They are good all the time, but This Godless Endeavor is very good.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12634

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2019 1:51 pm

There is a 3 cd pack available for pretty cheap, under 10 bucks or so. Dead Heart/Enemies/Godless

I got the Complete Collection box set awhile back. Myself was one who didn't get it when they first popped up, but being able to binge listen to it all, my opinion has changed for the better.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2019 2:26 pm

Listening to the S/T and it was ok. Pretty droning in a lot of parts and Dane's vox really did not do much for me. I am guessing I will not hear a lot of Termination Force style upcoming? But, still, fairly rockin'! Next up, The Politics of Ecstasy which, apparently, I own [along with Dead Heart] according to my iTunes. Hope it gets better.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2019 10:25 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Listening to the S/T and it was ok.  Pretty droning in a lot of parts and Dane's vox really did not do much for me.  I am guessing I will not hear a lot of Termination Force style upcoming?  But, still, fairly rockin'!  Next up, The Politics of Ecstasy which, apparently, I own [along with Dead Heart] according to my iTunes.  Hope it gets better.

Even if you end up still not liking them you were openminded enough to give them another shot.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2019 8:33 am

'Dead Heart' is the one I would recommend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nevermore Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore   Nevermore Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nevermore
Page 1 of 1