Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"

Go down 
+4
Eyesore
metalken
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Empty
PostSubject: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2018 10:17 pm

An interesting goody from Stormspell here, with a bizarre back story fit for an episode of "Unsolved Mysteries."

Does this tape look familiar to anyone? If so, maybe you can help Stormspell Records find the "Mystery Band."

Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" 14018739_f1024

*(begin shameless plug) article about the "Mystery Tape" on my blog:

https://spinditty.com/genres/Can-You-Help-Identify-Stormspell-Records-Mystery-Band

(end shameless plug)

Quick Reader's Digest version: Danny (Stormspell head honcho) found this reel of recording tape at a flea market some years back. The guy he bought it from got it as part of a storage unit auction and had no clue who the band was or where they were from. Aside from the band name "Steel Assassin" (or perhaps "SteevAssassin?") on the front cover, there were no song titles, musician credits or any other details on the package - just an address for a "Haymarket Productions" in San Francisco and a 1986 recording date.

Stormy would like to find this band so he can negotiate a full legit release of their material (or at least give them their master tape back) but so far he's had no luck. The address on the box turned out to be a generic apartment building in San Francisco and none of his contacts in the underground are familiar with the tunes. All he's been able to figure out is that this is NOT the Massachusetts based "Steel Assassin" band who have been kicking around since the '80s.

Storm eventually decided to press a limited number of CDs featuring the "mystery band" and gave them out as freebies to anyone who ordered $50 or more of merch from his web store during a recent sales blow out, in the hopes that someone out there might recognize the band/songs. If you missed out on that deal, he's got a couple of tracks up for listening on the label Bandcamp page: https://stormspell.bandcamp.com/album/demo-1986

So hey, if you live in the San Francisco area and your oil change guy won't shut up about his the time his old band opened for Exodus at Ruthie's Inn back in the day, or your office copy repair man keeps telling you how his old band "shoulda' been huge," you may have the key to solving this mystery, and Stormspell wants to hear from you!!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu May 03, 2018 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2018 1:26 pm

I'm looking forward to getting my copy when the rest of my order arrives. It's a neat backstory for the "mystery band".

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2018 4:15 pm

I believe that Stormspell has been looking for the band/musicians behind this for years! I am more than sure that the mystery will eventually get solved. I too am looking forward to getting this when my order gets here.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2018 10:56 am

metalken wrote:
I believe that Stormspell has been looking for the band/musicians behind this for years! I am more than sure that the mystery will eventually get solved. I too am looking forward to getting this when my order gets here.

Yep, he's had a couple of tunes from it on his label's Bandcamp page for a long time, with no luck. I guess by pressing some CDs and passing them out to customers he's hoping to kick the campaign to find this band up a few notches. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2018 10:42 am

Finally got around to listening to this one. I'm shocked how good it is. Not sure if Stormy cleaned-up the tapes or not, but the sound quality and production is excellent, considering the backstory of this band. I was expecting some rough demo recording.

And looking past that, the music itself is excellent. It fits right in with what was going on in with the scene in the early 80's. A little metal, a little glam. Shame these guys are such a mystery.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2018 10:48 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Finally got around to listening to this one. I'm shocked how good it is. Not sure if Stormy cleaned-up the tapes or not, but the sound quality and production is excellent, considering the backstory of this band. I was expecting some rough demo recording.

And looking past that, the music itself is excellent. It fits right in with what was going on in with the scene in the early 80's. A little metal, a little glam. Shame these guys are such a mystery.

Yeah, it's a good'un. Last I heard, Storm is still not any closer to ID'ing the Mystery Band though.

Stupid question: when you filed this one away on your CD shelf, did you put it under "S" for "Steel/Steev Assassin," or "M" for "Mystery Band" (since that's what's on the CD spine)? Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2018 10:52 am

I went with Steel Assassin - Mystery Band. It'll go in the "S" section of the archives. When I ripped it to my computer, I almost went with Steel Assassin - Master, but decided to stick with Mystery Band.

Steev Assassin wasn't an option. Smile

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2018 1:10 pm

When I finally get a copy, I'm filing it under Steev - Assassin Master. lol!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2018 1:13 pm

Dang. Now I want to re-rip it under the moniker "Steev Ass - A Sin Master". butt dance

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2018 1:14 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Dang. Now I want to re-rip it under the moniker "Steev Ass - A Sin Master". butt dance

Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2018 1:31 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 1:00 am

Are we talking about the US metal band? I own two of their studio albums, namely war of the eight saints and WWII metal of honor.

Great band.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 6:50 am

Gilbert wrote:
Are we talking about the US metal band? I own two of their studio albums, namely war of the eight saints and WWII metal of honor.

Great band.

Nope, that's a different band, same name

Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3179

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2020 8:45 am

Bought this cd this week. Great Old School Metal - because they are old school !
Early 80’s - they were tops in Boston. Armored Saint vibe. Early forerunners.
MASS was back then too. EXTREME and glam we a few years later. SHOUT.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2020 3:03 pm

Glower wrote:

Bought this cd this week. Great Old School Metal - because they are old school !
Early 80’s - they were tops in Boston. Armored Saint vibe. Early forerunners.
MASS was back then too. EXTREME and glam we a few years later. SHOUT.

Different band.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2020 3:48 pm

Quote :

Different band.

Yup, Stormspell reached out to the Massachusetts band and they told him "Nope, that's not us."

Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2020 12:15 am

I could tell ya, but, Frisco is a dead end. This thread has been so much fun. Hint: A "Christian" went on to form a different band in my region. All I got.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2020 12:34 am

Wow, saw Stormy post on Facebook he found the band.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2020 8:32 am

metalken wrote:
Wow, saw Stormy post on Facebook he found the band.

Yup. Apparently the Mystery Band is a mystery no more!

Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" 20200310

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39655

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2020 10:16 pm

Wow! That's pretty cool news.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"   Mystery - "Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Steel Assassin," aka the Stormspell "Mystery Band"
Page 1 of 1