Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Amazon vs CDBaby?

Go down 
+19
Troublezone
the sentinel
Lari
choosemetal
ShadowAngel
Stender
nevermore
Glower
mc666
Thrasher73
Gilbert
corplhicks
chewie
Thelemech
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
scottmitchell74
Witchfinder
stormspell
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Buying a CD online
I'll buy from Amazon
Amazon vs CDBaby? Vote_lcap89%Amazon vs CDBaby? Vote_rcap
 89% [ 25 ]
I'll buy from CDBaby
Amazon vs CDBaby? Vote_lcap11%Amazon vs CDBaby? Vote_rcap
 11% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 28

AuthorMessage
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 8:02 pm

A question for all folks who still buy CDs online. Would you buy a CD for $13.99 from Amazon with free 2-day shipping (prime members), or for $11.99 from CDBaby (with an option for 1 cent shipping if you order 3 or more cds)?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 8:03 pm

Amazon - I have Prime already and I do most of my CD shopping there.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 8:15 pm

I usually get to the $35 free shipping level on Amazon, and they have a much larger selection, so Amazon.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 8:22 pm

Amazon for me too.

Mainly because the selection is much better.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 8:43 pm

Weirdly enough, even tho my wife uses Amazon to order damn near everything else for the household, I very rarely order music from them.

On the other hand, I've ordered quite a few things from CDBaby over the past few months, incl. a shipment that just arrived today. :cheese:

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 9:02 pm

Amazon - I am on a Prime trial and just received a Sodom album from them in under 2 days. Good service and fast and slightly cheaper on some titles compared to the local record stores.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 10:13 pm

I've had good luck with the Amazon Marketplace where you can find music usually cheaper than for what regular Amazon offers.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 10:46 pm

Amazon. Prime is messiah.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 11:21 pm

corplhicks wrote:

Actually, if you do research you will find that most of Amazon Prime CDs are overpriced and can be bought for cheap from BestBuy, etc. But because of the popularity and the fast service, Amazon seems to be the leading market by far.

I'm trying to figure out if it is worth to get my releases on their Fulfillment program. the problem is they take 55% cut, and even if I list the releases at $13.99 (which is on a pricey side) I still only get $6.30 back, which after all costs - production, band royalties, shipping and return expenses, etc. leaves very marginal profit, especially on certain releases limited below 1000 copies... But if many people would only buy from Amazon, then it is worth, even only for the sake of giving them the option to buy it.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 11:39 pm

stormspell wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Actually, if you do research you will find that most of Amazon Prime CDs are overpriced and can be bought for cheap from BestBuy, etc. But because of the popularity and the fast service, Amazon seems to be the leading market by far.

I'm trying to figure out if it is worth to get my releases on their Fulfillment program. the problem is they take 55% cut, and even if I list the releases at $13.99 (which is on a pricey side) I still only get $6.30 back, which after all costs - production, band royalties, shipping and return expenses, etc. leaves very marginal profit, especially on certain releases limited below 1000 copies... But if many people would only buy from Amazon, then it is worth, even only for the sake of giving them the option to buy it.

That's quite an eye-opener. Time to do some research.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9883

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 2:28 am

Amazon for me, simply because it is my only reliable online source here.

Great choice and service.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 2:54 am

Amazon! I'm a prime member as well so I take advantage of their free downloads plus you can't beat the free two day shipping.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 6:51 am

stormspell wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I don't only buy from Amazon. I typically fill my Amazon cart with all the cds I'm interested in, then check their prices at Ebay, Importscds, blowitoutahere, etc...and go with the best. Sometimes it'll be 3 cds here, 5 there, and so on...

I used to buy from CDbaby a lot more, but other places became more competitive or have larger selections.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 7:39 am

Amazon. I order all kinds of stuff from there anyway. I don't think I've ever purchased anything from Cdbaby.

Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3170

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 8:56 am

Amazon or EBay !
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 11:24 am

stormspell wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Frankly, I buy most of your releases from MadRushMedia on ebay.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25863

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 1:00 pm

I do a lot of cd shopping from Amazon. I went with them.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 2:38 pm

I almost always use ebay, but when I don't it's amazon.
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 2:43 pm

Amazon is the cheapest here in germany, even for used CDs. Otherwise sometimes Discogs for rare stuff. Haven't bought a CD or Vinyl in a store in ages (can't even remember what the last one was...)
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 4:24 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
stormspell wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Same here I never buy from CDbaby... I mostly buy from Amazon but for stormspell I buy from Mad Rush because they have good and fast shipping.
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 4:33 pm

ShadowAngel wrote:
Amazon is the cheapest here in germany, even for used CDs. Otherwise sometimes Discogs for rare stuff. Haven't bought a CD or Vinyl in a store in ages (can't even remember what the last one was...)

I use the German Amazon, too.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 8:26 pm

I would have to say Amazon even though I have only gotten a few discs from them. Which is a few more than I have ever purchased from CDBaby.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 9:23 pm

Amazon.

CD Baby has a limited selection.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2016 10:15 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

That's awesome! Dave is a great guy all around!
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 8:32 am

Normally, I buy from Amazon sellers (or directly from ImportCDs.com if they're offering a title cheaper directly), but I'd definitely go CDBaby if the price was right. My only real gripe with CDB is that artists selling there tend to inflate the prices of their stuff - at least those I'd be interested in do. Sorry, but it's not 1992, and $17.99 is not a viable price to ask for most artists unless you're doing a Kickstarter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Amazon vs CDBaby? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon vs CDBaby?   Amazon vs CDBaby? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Amazon vs CDBaby?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next