Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thrash Metal Vocalists

Go down 
+3
Temple of Blood
Thrasher73
DakotaRogers
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

Thrash Metal Vocalists  Empty
PostSubject: Thrash Metal Vocalists    Thrash Metal Vocalists  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2015 12:24 am

Another straightforward topic involving lists. Post your favorite thrash vocalists of old, and the standout vocalists of today.

My list, from greatest to worst:

Old
Charles Sabin (Toxik)
Erik A.K. (Flotsam and Jetsam)
Joel Dubay (Powermad)
Warrel Dane (Sanctuary/Nevermore)
David White (Heathen)
Sean Killian (Vio-lence)
James Hetfield (Metallica)
Mark Osegueda (Death Angel)
Joey Belladonna (Anthrax)
Phil Anselmo (Pantera)*
Kenn Nardi (Anacrusis)
Russ Anderson (Forbidden)
Jimmy Hamilton (Intruder)
Mark Antoni (Realm)
Alan Tecchio (Watchtower)
Brad Divens (Wrathchild America)
Michael Jackson (Pariah)
Brian Troch (Cyclone Temple)
Pat Lind (Morbid Saint)
Darren Travis (Sadus)
Sheepdog (Razor)
John Connelly (Nuclear Assault)
Katon de Pena (Hirax)

*just to let you know, I'm a huge fan of Phil's performance on Cowboys from Hell - it was perfect. I am in no way condoning his atrocities on the next few Pantera albums.

New
Warrel Dane (Nevermore/Sanctuary)
David DiSanto (Vektor)
Michael Bastholm Dahl (Artillery)
James Rivera (Helstar)
Mark Osegueda (Death Angel)
Stu Block (Iced Earth)
Mika Eronen (Immaculate)
Chuck Billy (Testament)
Bobby Ellsworth (Overkill)
Steve Souza (Exodus)
Sy Keeler (Onslaught)
Schmier (Destruction)
Fredrik Bjerkø (Tantara)
Sergeant Salsten (Deathhammer)
Toxine (Witchery)
Dave Silver (Savage Messiah)
Bison Steed (Reign of Fury)
Matt Drake (Evile)
Cara McCutchen (Mortillery)
Dan Wetmore (Mantic Ritual)
John Kevill (Warbringer)
Philly Byrne (Gama Bomb)
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Thrash Metal Vocalists    Thrash Metal Vocalists  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 7:48 am

I like a lot of the same guys as you. Russ Anderson and Zetro have been personal favorites for years.I tend to like higher pitched vocalists or ones with a nasty sneer.
A newer one that I really like is Marco Colombo from Hyades. He has that gravely sneer.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Thrash Metal Vocalists    Thrash Metal Vocalists  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 12:29 pm

I'll post mine later.

P.S. How are Warrel Dane and James Rivera "new" thrash vocalists?
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: Thrash Metal Vocalists    Thrash Metal Vocalists  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 2:59 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I'll post mine later.

P.S. How are Warrel Dane and James Rivera "new" thrash vocalists?

The new list encompasses vocalists that are new on the scene, and also vocalists from the 80's who are still belting out notes as magnificent as ever.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Thrash Metal Vocalists    Thrash Metal Vocalists  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 5:33 pm

You think Dane is still singing as well as he was in the 80s? Or Rivera? I would take their performances on ITMB and ADT over anything they've done in the last decade.

I don't know that I would really consider HELSTAR thrash, to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Ravenscraig
Metal student
Metal student
Ravenscraig

Number of posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: Thrash Metal Vocalists    Thrash Metal Vocalists  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 5:50 pm

Best thrash vocalist ever is Eric AK of Flotsam.

Thrash Metal Vocalists  20150510
Back to top Go down
http://www.veilofdeception.com
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: Thrash Metal Vocalists    Thrash Metal Vocalists  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 6:12 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
You think Dane is still singing as well as he was in the 80s?  Or Rivera?  I would take their performances on ITMB and ADT over anything they've done in the last decade.

I don't know that I would really consider HELSTAR thrash, to be honest.

If you're referring to his ability to hit those outrageous falsettos ala Refuge Denied, I guess not. But he more than makes up for that with the emotion he conveyed in Nevermore (see Dreaming Neon Black).

As for Helstar, the genre classification is debatable, much like Agent Steel. But their modern output definitely has more of a thrash edge than their speed/power roots.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Thrash Metal Vocalists    Thrash Metal Vocalists  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 1:04 am

Your list is pretty close, I think, to what I'd put out. Sean Killian would be down by Katon--below, in fact; Killian's voice is the only thing that keeps me from enjoying Vio-lence as much as I'd like. Plus Joey I would rate lower. I know he's a skilled singer, but his voice has never matched up with thrash for me to appreciate.

My list would also include Mike Munro (Meliah Rage), Rob Urbinati (Sacrifice), Frank Thomas (later Accuser), Sabina Classen (Holy Moses), Mille Petrozza (Kreator), Michael Coons (Laaz Rockit), Ron Rinehart (Dark Angel), Angelripper, Mustaine, and Araya among others. Good mention of David White.

I would definitely agree that modern Helstar is thrash.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Thrash Metal Vocalists    Thrash Metal Vocalists  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 9:38 am

Yes, post-reunion HELSTAR is pretty thrashy. But their older material I think is just USPM.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thrash Metal Vocalists    Thrash Metal Vocalists  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 11:17 am

I'm not really a fan of the high-pitched banshee thrash vocalists. Liked it more when I was a teenager but most of that stuff annoys me to no end now.

I prefer the gruffer, nastier vocalists like Mille from Kreator, Tom from Slayer, Ron from Coroner, Tom from Celtic Frost (I know, not really thrash, don't care), Max from Sepultura, John from Nuclear Assault, etc. Maybe not a great "vocalist" in the bunch but their attitude and personality fits the music they play perfectly. I don't want to hear some falsetto dude trying to break a champagne glass over the top of something like Chemical Warfare...
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Thrash Metal Vocalists    Thrash Metal Vocalists  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 1:42 pm

All those old thrash vocalists started out trying to sing high.

Listen to how high Mustaine was on that first album.  Or Hetfield trying to emulate Diamond Head on "Hit the Lights".  Or Tom Araya on "The Antichrist".

Not saying it is right or wrong in any way, it's just an interesting phenomenon.

I like it all really.  The only "thrash" vocalist I really can't stomach is Blythe from LoG.  He is just unlistenable to me ... or maybe it's just that the riffs stink?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Thrash Metal Vocalists    Thrash Metal Vocalists  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 1:45 pm

Ravenscraig wrote:
Best thrash vocalist ever is Eric AK of Flotsam.

Thrash Metal Vocalists  20150510

Funny ... when I saw this thread I was thinking the same thing. When I was a teenager I SOOOO wanted to sing like him. I took a singing lesson from a friend and played her "Suffer the Masses" as what I was shooting for. haha
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: Thrash Metal Vocalists    Thrash Metal Vocalists  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 2:28 pm

When all you mostly hear from the new wave of thrash is nasally, monotone barking, you begin to appreciate the banshee vocalists a lot more.
Back to top Go down
Ravenscraig
Metal student
Metal student
Ravenscraig

Number of posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: Thrash Metal Vocalists    Thrash Metal Vocalists  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 3:14 pm

temple of blood wrote:
Ravenscraig wrote:Best thrash vocalist ever is Eric AK of Flotsam.

Enlarge this image Click to see fullsize..

Funny ... when I saw this thread I was thinking the same thing. When I was a teenager I SOOOO wanted to sing like him. I took a singing lesson from a friend and played her "Suffer the Masses" as what I was shooting for. haha

Glad you feel the same way. "Suffer the Masses" is a tremendous tune. I dunno, I just fell in love with his voice the first time I heard "No Place for Disgrace". The rest is history. For me it was a dream come true meeting him and the rest of the guys in person and playing with them here in Vienna. They were supporting the release of the remake of "No Place" so they did songs only off the first two albums plus "Suffer the Masses". Eargasmic.

Sorry that was slightly off-topic. More to the point: I am into "proper" singers like Eric AK, Belladonna, Osegueda... I love the others that have been mentioned as well, the ones "less technical but with great attitude". But for me it's all about those guys that just blow your socks off with their distinct vocals.

If you wanna talk about cool singers, not too brilliant or technical but with great live energy and attitude for me it's all about this wee fella

Thrash Metal Vocalists  Katon10
Back to top Go down
http://www.veilofdeception.com
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 272

PostSubject: Re: Thrash Metal Vocalists    Thrash Metal Vocalists  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 8:54 pm

Scott Waters from Ultimatum is pretty good.....
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Thrash Metal Vocalists    Thrash Metal Vocalists  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2015 2:09 am

Eric AK, Tom Araya, Chuck Billy and Hetfield (early days)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thrash Metal Vocalists    Thrash Metal Vocalists  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thrash Metal Vocalists
Page 1 of 1