Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spread Eagle

Go down 
+14
corplhicks
tohostudios
Thrasher73
nevermore
exact33
Infinite
Troublezone
Witchfinder
the sentinel
glassprison
mikeinfla
martinsane
fingers
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25863

Spread Eagle - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 9:20 pm

I can't say I'm liking the new song either.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 10:55 am

I thought the song sounded decent enough, however that being said, I'm not all that familiar with the band overall. I've never heard their debut and I only had their 2nd album, which didn't make much of an impact on me.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 11:39 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I thought the song sounded decent enough, however that being said, I'm not all that familiar with the band overall. I've never heard their debut and I only had their 2nd album, which didn't make much of an impact on me.
\\I have this strong feeling you'd enjoy that debut. It's a smoker.

I have this strong feeling you'd enjoy that debut. It's a smoker.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 12:43 pm

Switchblade Serenade is amazing.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 12:46 pm

corplhicks wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I have this strong feeling you'd enjoy that debut. It's a smoker.

I tried to track it down many times on the recommendations from this very board, but it's pretty hard to come by a physical copy. Yea, I could always go to YouTube and play it, but I dunno. That feels like cheating. Razz

I was pretty excited when I won a copy of their 2nd album, but I think I had built it up a little too much in my mind.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 5:20 pm

This thread prompted me to create a new comp over the long weekend.  It's creatively entitle "Random Music" and features bands like:

Smashed Gladys
Brother Cane
Cry Of Love
Electric Angels
Files On Fire
Soul Kitchen
Bang Tango
Asphalt Ballet

and of course...Spread Eagle.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 11:52 am

Need to listen to Brother Cane, it's been awhile. Damon Johnson is a great guitarist.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 6:24 pm

I hadn't listened to Brother Cane in a long time either then MLB Central used "Got No Shame" as the bumper going to commercial.  Plus I had Cry Of Love's "Too Cold In The Winter" in my head all winter.  Couple those two things with this Spread Eagle thread and voila, a comp is born.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 6:36 pm

Brother Cane and Cry of Love were two very 90's bands that I thought should get more recognition. Lots of 70's rock sounds in those bands.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39570

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 6:47 pm

I vaguely remember Brother Came and think they had a tune I really liked. I'll have to see if I can find what it was.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 6:55 pm

007 wrote:
I vaguely remember Brother Came and think they had a tune I really liked. I'll have to see if I can find what it was.

I bet it's "Got No Shame"; I think that's as close as they got to "a hit" which is a shame because they're actually a talented band.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39570

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 7:04 pm

Ha! After checking out youtube, that is the song. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 7:14 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Brother Cane and Cry of Love were two very 90's bands that I thought should get more recognition. Lots of 70's rock sounds in those bands.

Yeah I should call my comp "Underappreciated bands from the 90s" but that's too long-winded.  Plus a few of them aren't from the 90s.  But most are.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 10:00 pm

I spin that Brother Cane album all the time. It's in my car CD player, in fact. Most of not all of those tracks are memorable as hell.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 10:38 pm

tohostudios wrote:
007 wrote:

I bet it's "Got No Shame"; I think that's as close as they got to "a hit" which is a shame because they're actually a talented band.

They also had a hit in the mid-90s with And Fools Shine On:

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2019 10:50 am

tohostudios wrote:
007 wrote:

Man, that is so odd. I actually owned a copy of Bother Cane's s/t, but I don't remember a thing from it. I just watched the 'Got No Shame' video, but don't recall it at all. On the other hand, I DO remember that 'And Fools Shine On' song.

I feel like they kinda got lost in the shuffle of 90's alt-bands like Candlebox and Collective Soul. Whether Brother Cane fit in with those bands or not, I'm sure back then, if was on MTV's "Alt Nation" or local radio, I ignored it.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2019 6:48 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
007 wrote:

Man, that is so odd. I actually owned a copy of Bother Cane's s/t, but I don't remember a thing from it. I just watched the 'Got No Shame' video, but don't recall it at all. On the other hand, I DO remember that 'And Fools Shine On' song.

I feel like they kinda got lost in the shuffle of 90's alt-bands like Candlebox and Collective Soul. Whether Brother Cane fit in with those bands or not, I'm sure back then, if was on MTV's "Alt Nation" or local radio, I ignored it.

I recall Got No Shame being on constant rotation on the radio. There were other great songs that could've been hits like Woman, The Road, and Stone's Throw Away, but it was a weird time for bands who had a hard rock flavor that bordered only mildly on alternative fringe. Black Crowes (sans their debut), Cry of Love, and Pride and Glory spring to mind. Candlebox is another great example.

I'd also recommend the Cane debut as something to revisit. It's well-crafted and ripe with energy.

EDIT: For the record, I'm not a fan of their follow-up. That one got too "alty" for my taste. Not bad, but not my thing.

And let's all not forget that frontman Damon Johnson went on to play lead for Black Star Riders. I still need to give them a chance.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2019 11:14 pm

Black Star Riders gets a big thumbs up from me.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 6:00 am

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2019 5:42 am

After hearing the whole album I’m sorry but this just isn’t the Spread Eagle I love. Modern sounding with no grit or bite. Very disappointing to me.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2019 9:22 pm

"29th of February" doesn't excite me any more about this album. It's just not well written, and sounds like they are reaching for any possible rhyme in the chorus. This band just can't perform like they did for the first two albums. They should call it something else.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2019 10:12 pm

glassprison wrote:
"29th of February" doesn't excite me any more about this album. It's just not well written, and sounds like they are reaching for any possible rhyme in the chorus. This band just can't perform like they did for the first two albums. They should call it something else.

Wow, that song is terrible.  Your are SO right about the reaching for rhymes in the chorus; that's pathetic.   Just hang it up guys because even old farts like me who remember your glory days aren't going to buy this crap.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2019 11:54 pm

Not great but not trash, kind of sounds like a throwaway from Pearcy's last couple albums.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2019 7:13 pm

I listened to the full album today, and I don't see myself ever revisiting it. I echo the sentiments of Thrasher73 entirely.

Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 5:44 pm

Do you guys know Bloody Heels? Some of their stuff really reminds me of old school Spread Eagle. This song in particular (once it picks up following the intro) sounds like it could have been on the first SE album.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spread Eagle
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2