Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spread Eagle

Go down 
+14
corplhicks
tohostudios
Thrasher73
nevermore
exact33
Infinite
Troublezone
Witchfinder
the sentinel
glassprison
mikeinfla
martinsane
fingers
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 3:49 am

Anyone familiar with this band highly underrated pity they started out at the wrong time if they had started out five years before they would of been huge way better than Poison and Motley Crue actually borrowed a few riffs from their song back on the bitch for their song smoke the sky Ultmetal you need to review this band
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 6:03 am

More than familiar. Played the dickens out of the S/T and Open to The Public and still do. The S/T is an instant classic in my book and Ray West has/had a perfect voice for this style of music.

If you can figure it out and find the different versions the S/T actually has 2 different releases/mixes/whatever which are similar but certainly different, both amazing however. I've asked the question a number of times but have yet to find the answer. Most notable difference is in the song Switchblade Serenade especially the pre chorus...

I certainly think that timing was a little late, but MCA is a turd on your shoe of a record label that I'm certain didn't push the band enough/at all...

In closing GREAT BAND. Certainly one of my top 10.

From Open To The Public

Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 7:17 am

Wow, I thought you were referring to the 70's band. Never heard of the above version, will check them out. The only Spread Eagle I know about was the 70's band from Chicago formed by John Curulewski after he left Styx

Spread Eagle 0

Here's a bootleg show they did. I have no idea if they were ever signed to a label or even released anything. Generic sounding Classic Rock.

Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 7:46 am

I love the self-titled. Open to the Public is also good, but doesn't have as many standout tracks.

I don't care for much Ray West has done outside of Spread Eagle, with groups like Uttaro. Spread Eagle reunited for a few shows in recent years, but he can barely sing in the range he used on the SE albums anymore.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 11:50 am

I remember taping "Switchblade Serenade" of the Z Rock 50 one night back in high school and immediately flipping for this band. The debut, as was stated above is an absolute classic; but the sophomore offering doesn't get as many spins from me as the first. Whenever I would make a sleaze rock / metal comp for a friend, "Switchblade" always made the cut. headbanger
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39465

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 11:52 am

I'm only familiar with the song Switchblade Serenade off a comp cd I own. Pretty good song and I'd like to check them out further.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 11:57 am

I was just listening to their first album yesterday!  They were a great sleaze band that had many vicious, snarling songs.  It's too bad that they were so late in the game, because they might have made more of an impact.  

I also noticed that there were two different versions of "Switchblade Serenade" but I had assumed one was a pre-release (demo) version (the one on this video) and then the album version.  

Album version:

I think the album version is much, much better than the video version.

Also their song "Hot Sex" is an embarrassment. Egads.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 12:58 pm

^^^

That's what I was getting after in my post and I actually had the cassette for ever (which is the video version of the song), finally got the CD years later (the 2nd version of the song) and immediately went, wtf? The difference (s) are there and not just in the Switchblade Serenade cut... Both versions are great, but defo a difference.

And to the 70's SE. I knew of that band too. Also be cautious when looking for SE, there is also a newer punk band using this moniker today.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2015 3:25 pm

I remember their video for Scratch Like A Cat on Headbanger's Ball. Looking back now, they kinda had a Dangerous Toys type sound.
Back to top Go down
Infinite
Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 12:20 am

martinsane, I do know there was a remastered version of the album released a few years back. Maybe that could account for the different sound? Can't explain the Switchblade Serenade thing, though.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 1:35 am

Infinite wrote:
martinsane, I do know there was a remastered version of the album released a few years back. Maybe that could account for the different sound? Can't explain the Switchblade Serenade thing, though.

I have thought of this too, but the re-iss came much later than my discovery, almost like maybe a first run and then a second issue or ???
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 8:41 am

i kinda missed them. Ill have to listen more.

nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25796

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 11:58 am

Great band!!! Both albums are great but the first is the best. I got to see them twice. Once opening for Scatterbrain and then a headlining show in a very small club in Charlotte.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25796

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 12:00 pm

glassprison wrote:
I love the self-titled. Open to the Public is also good, but doesn't have as many standout tracks.

I don't care for much Ray West has done outside of Spread Eagle, with groups like Uttaro. Spread Eagle reunited for a few shows in recent years, but he can barely sing in the range he used on the SE albums anymore.

Speaking of members of this band bassist Rob DeLuca was playing with UFO.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 9:28 pm

Yes, he's a great bassist. I have never seen Spread Eagle, but I saw him playing with Sebastian Bach on tour with Dokken and Poison in 2008.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2015 12:30 am

Play the self titled on a weekly basis.I have it on my iPod and play it at work.Great sleazy stuff.They should have been bigger.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Thrasher73

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2019 7:04 pm

New video from their new album. Sounds very modern. Nothing like the SE of old. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2019 8:47 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
New video from their new album. Sounds very modern. Nothing like the SE of old. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

That sounds like pretty typical Spread Eagle to me.  I like it!

Thrasher73

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2019 9:56 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:

That sounds like pretty typical Spread Eagle to me.  I like it!

I’m gonna have to listen to it again when I get home. I was listening to it at work on my phone speaker with a lot of background noise.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2019 10:47 pm

It's maybe not quite as "raw" as the songs on the S/T but musically it still sounds like Spread Eagle to me.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2019 10:49 pm

Man, those are some monotonous vocals! The overall style was more in line with Spread Eagle than I was expecting, but I don't think this works anymore with Ray West's current vocal abilities. He tellingly doesn't even attempt anything like the screeches that were key to SE's sound on their first two albums.

I've heard some bootleg material, and even a decade ago it was clear that Ray simply cannot do that material anymore.

A case in point:

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Thrasher73

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 3:29 am

Yeah it’s missing that raw, gritty bite that his vocals brought to their sound. I’m curious to hear more songs.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 8:39 am

Boring.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 1:35 pm

This was one of the first bands I discovered when I joined this board. Hot damn, you guys made an impact right out the gates! They've been a favorite of mine since. The closest I've been able to get to that Sabo-Hill Skid Row snarl that no one seems to be able to copy very well. Yet they don't sound anything like Skid Row. Great and rather original band.

Can't say I enjoy the new single though. I'm with the Witch-Man on this--boring.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 7:27 pm

Quote :
The closest I've been able to get to that Sabo-Hill Skid Row snarl that no one seems to be able to copy very well.

Taime Downe had it too, and still does to some degree, though Faster Pussycat doesn't seem interested in recording any new music.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spread Eagle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spread Eagle   Spread Eagle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spread Eagle
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: