Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why CDs May Actually Sound Better Than Vinyl

Go down 
+11
Runicen
the sentinel
Boris2008
Eyesore
corplhicks
scottmitchell74
journeyman
tohostudios
exact33
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Why CDs May Actually Sound Better Than Vinyl - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why CDs May Actually Sound Better Than Vinyl   Why CDs May Actually Sound Better Than Vinyl - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 8:40 am

Maybe it's an extreme level of naivety here, but metals fabrication HAS to be easier to manage now than it was in the '90s. I just don't understand why someone can't short order commission parts for 5-10 presses and have that at a reasonable cost.

It just seems like it shouldn't be hard to recreate one of these from the ground up - ESPECIALLY given that these things look like they were pulled from a shipwreck.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Why CDs May Actually Sound Better Than Vinyl   Why CDs May Actually Sound Better Than Vinyl - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 11:08 am

Runicen wrote:
Maybe it's an extreme level of naivety here, but metals fabrication HAS to be easier to manage now than it was in the '90s.  I just don't understand why someone can't short order commission parts for 5-10 presses and have that at a reasonable cost.  

It just seems like it shouldn't be hard to recreate one of these from the ground up - ESPECIALLY given that these things look like they were pulled from a shipwreck.

That would be prohibitively expensive. You would be reverse engineering a machine from the ground up. It's not like plans for these things are in some CAD program somewhere. I'm sure it can be done, but it wouldn't be cost effective and your LPs would cost $50 each to recoup the costs of fabrication.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Why CDs May Actually Sound Better Than Vinyl   Why CDs May Actually Sound Better Than Vinyl - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 11:14 am

Quote :
It's not like plans for these things are in some CAD program somewhere.

I'd bet the farm there is some hipster geek with an engineering degree working on this as we speak. Never underestimate the power of nerds with plenty of time on their hands. And I mean that in the most complimentary way possible.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Why CDs May Actually Sound Better Than Vinyl   Why CDs May Actually Sound Better Than Vinyl - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 11:38 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
It's not like plans for these things are in some CAD program somewhere.

I'd bet the farm there is some hipster geek with an engineering degree working on this as we speak. Never underestimate the power of nerds with plenty of time on their hands. And I mean that in the most complimentary way possible.

This exactly. There are guys with 3D printers trying to create new ways to press records (though granted, it's crude as hell), so I find it VERY hard to believe the work of reverse engineering those presses (and probably with improvements to the design) hasn't already been done by some hobbyist who open-sourced what they came up with.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Why CDs May Actually Sound Better Than Vinyl   Why CDs May Actually Sound Better Than Vinyl - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 2:19 pm

It's still difficult and expensive to achieve (and I very much doubt that they need to reverse engineer anything, the plans will be copyrighted and stored somewhere)

However, where there's a nerd there's a way Very Happy   

http://www.factmag.com/2014/12/05/this-desktop-machine-could-be-the-future-of-vinyl-cutting/

Looks like the hunt for start up level and D-I-Y alternatives is already on.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Why CDs May Actually Sound Better Than Vinyl   Why CDs May Actually Sound Better Than Vinyl - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 2:43 pm

Wow. I approve pretty hard of this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why CDs May Actually Sound Better Than Vinyl   Why CDs May Actually Sound Better Than Vinyl - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why CDs May Actually Sound Better Than Vinyl
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3