Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DMC and...Generation Kill?

Go down 
+2
DakotaRogers
Eyesore
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

DMC and...Generation Kill? Empty
PostSubject: DMC and...Generation Kill?   DMC and...Generation Kill? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 2:30 am

How bizarre.

I dig Dukes and Generation Kill, and I love Run DMC. This is a weird match-up, but I can't wait to hear it. DMC has suffered from spasmodic dysphonia, which basically made him sound terrible, but he sounds better in this clip.

It'll be interesting to hear how this turns out.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: DMC and...Generation Kill?   DMC and...Generation Kill? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 6:50 am

Man, I don't think Rob is taking the breakup well.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: DMC and...Generation Kill?   DMC and...Generation Kill? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 9:34 am

Who do they think this will appeal to? Is rap-rock still a thing? Aren't they about 10 years too late for this sort of collaboration?

Not my thing, but good luck to 'em I guess.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: DMC and...Generation Kill?   DMC and...Generation Kill? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 9:47 am

It's hard to really tell from the slivers of song in the clip, but to my ears it's got the vibe of a lot of the excellent guitar-heavy Run DMC classics.

There is a big difference between rap-rock, as a sub-genre from the early 2000s where bands incorporate both rock and rap elements, and legitimate rock/metal bands collaborating with rappers. And as long as both artists are talented/good at what they do, the end results are *usually* pretty fun.

Beginning with Anthrax and UTFO, I've enjoyed most of these kind of collaborations from bands I like. The obvious Anthrax and Public Enemy and Aerosmith and Run DMC. Ice-T and Black Sabbath. Judgment Night soundtrack in general. Biohazard and Onyx. This kind of thing is just fun. And as mentioned, Run DMC were no strangers to nice guitars in their own tracks to begin with.

Hopefully this collaboration will be too. Who knows.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: DMC and...Generation Kill?   DMC and...Generation Kill? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 9:54 am

All those collaborations you mentioned were over 20 years ago. Is anyone gonna care for this in 2015? Is the nostalgia train starting to run through the 90's now? Good or bad, I just question that they'll find an audience for this.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: DMC and...Generation Kill?   DMC and...Generation Kill? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 9:56 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
All those collaborations you mentioned were over 20 years ago. Is anyone gonna care for this in 2015? Is the nostalgia train starting to run through the 90's now? Good or bad, I just question that they'll find an audience for this.

I definitely get that point...I was more responding to the rap-rock/10 years too late thing, as I feel this is a lot different than that.

But by that same token, I don't know about album sales, but I feel like this past summer my entire group of friends appeared to be smitten with the new Body Count album. And these were people who did not give a damn when my old band covered "Cop Killer" in 2000. For whatever that tells you.

Also, there is the possibility the GK/DMC collaboration will suck regardless.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: DMC and...Generation Kill?   DMC and...Generation Kill? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 2:13 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

There are still plenty of bands doing this style. But like 80s rock bands in the 90s, after grunge hit, you gotta dig for them a bit more. A lot easier to do that now, of course.

Either way, there's definitely a market for it. Not a big one, but a market nonetheless.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: DMC and...Generation Kill?   DMC and...Generation Kill? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 2:23 pm

If you say so. It's never been a style that appealed much to me so I'll take your word for it.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: DMC and...Generation Kill?   DMC and...Generation Kill? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2015 11:47 am

No thanks.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: DMC and...Generation Kill?   DMC and...Generation Kill? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2015 12:27 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I definitely get that point...I was more responding to the rap-rock/10 years too late thing, as I feel this is a lot different than that.

But by that same token, I don't know about album sales, but I feel like this past summer my entire group of friends appeared to be smitten with the new Body Count album. And these were people who did not give a damn when my old band covered "Cop Killer" in 2000. For whatever that tells you.

Also, there is the possibility the GK/DMC collaboration will suck regardless.

Even then, Body Count doesn't rap that much. They have more in common with crossover bands of the late 1980s like Agnostic Front and Cro-Mags than they did with any of the rap-rock bands of the 1990s. I wouldn't classify them as rap-rock.

As far as rap-rock hybrids go, it's out of the mainstream, unlike 15 years ago. But there are still bands doing it. Some bands who played it have changed, but there are some bands still in the style. New bands, even.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: DMC and...Generation Kill?   DMC and...Generation Kill? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2015 3:13 pm

Gonna be nitpicky: Agnostic Front are hardcore, not crossover. =)
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: DMC and...Generation Kill?   DMC and...Generation Kill? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 8:52 am

I wouldn't classify Body Count as rap-rock either. I also wouldn't classify DMC collaborating with GK as rap-rock, so I'm sticking with my example.

As for Agnostic Front, I would say they are a hardcore band with a couple of crossover records. More than that, I'd say they have crossover appeal. The main attribute, in my experience, is that some hardcore bands and some thrash bands appeal to either audience (but even then, I mean, it's dumb to not like more than one kind of music or style of metal--so it's all a little redundant--and metalheads love Madball, but I wouldn't call them crossover...so where are we going with all this? I don't know).

Crossover is a weird term, but I don't mind it because anything that truly falls into the crossover category is something I like. Thrashier hardcore or thrash with hardcore elements would be fine too.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: DMC and...Generation Kill?   DMC and...Generation Kill? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 1:01 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Oh, it's one of THOSE people Mad
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: DMC and...Generation Kill?   DMC and...Generation Kill? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 4:35 pm

DakotaRogers wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Oh, it's one of THOSE people Mad

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: DMC and...Generation Kill?   DMC and...Generation Kill? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2015 11:22 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
If you say so. It's never been a style that appealed much to me so I'll take your word for it.

Here you go.

A new band who mixes that dubsteppy stuff with rap and...emo-ish alt-rock? I don't know. Not quite my thing, but the rap/rock thing appears to be evolving.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: DMC and...Generation Kill?   DMC and...Generation Kill? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2015 11:28 pm

I take it back. I kind of dig that. Haha.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: DMC and...Generation Kill?   DMC and...Generation Kill? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 9:58 am

Eyesore wrote:

dubsteppy stuff with rap and...emo-ish alt-rock?

Dub-step, rap, emo, alt-rock. Could you possibly slip more sh*tty descriptors in there? Couldn't they squeeze in polka and J-pop too? Holy cow that sounds terrible. Razz

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: DMC and...Generation Kill?   DMC and...Generation Kill? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 5:20 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

dubsteppy stuff with rap and...emo-ish alt-rock?

Dub-step, rap, emo, alt-rock. Could you possibly slip more sh*tty descriptors in there? Couldn't they squeeze in polka and J-pop too? Holy cow that sounds terrible. Razz

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DMC and...Generation Kill?   DMC and...Generation Kill? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DMC and...Generation Kill?
Page 1 of 1