Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NEW BILLY IDOL

Go down 
+10
Glower
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
Gilbert
Eyesore
TheGreatDuck
manny
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
brokentulsa
14 posters
AuthorMessage
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 9:52 pm

October 21st Billy releases his new album called "Kings and Queens Of The Underground"...Also on Oct. 7 Billy released his autobiography...I look forward to the new album and reading his book...

Concerning his book Billy Said..
"“I am hopelessly divided between the dark and the good, the rebel and the saint, the sex maniac and the monk, the poet and the priest, the demagogue and the populist. Pen to paper, I’ve put it all down, every bit from the heart.
I’m going out on a limb here, so watch my back.”
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 10:21 am

New tunes are ok I guess. 'Can't Bring Me Down' sounds very poppy. Not that there's anything wrong with that. 'Postcard..." sounds a little better/heavier. Not sure I dig the 80's synth sound though.

I've often thought of picking up a Greatest Hits of Billy, but never have. Not sure why. Could be the 80's synth sound.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 11:50 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
New tunes are ok I guess. 'Can't Bring Me Down' sounds very poppy. Not that there's anything wrong with that. 'Postcard..." sounds a little better/heavier. Not sure I dig the 80's synth sound though.

I've often thought of picking up a Greatest Hits of Billy, but never have. Not sure why. Could be the 80's synth sound.

Or maybe you just don't like dancing with yourself........
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 1:42 pm

I like Billy Idol, but maybe you have to be around our age to like him, IMO alot of tunes are dated, but not in a bad way, but maybe I say that because I grew up with his music
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 2:19 pm

manny wrote:
I like Billy Idol, but maybe you have to be around our age to like him, IMO alot of tunes are dated, but not in a bad way, but maybe I say that because I grew up with his music

I've checked out various comps and hit packages and I think part of the problem is too much  burn-out on the hits. Growing up in the 80's, you couldn't avoid hearing Billy Idol somewhere. Jersey boardwalk, skating rink, high school dance, riding in the car, MTV, etc. I've heard 'Dancing With Myself' enough times in my life that I don't want to hear it ever again.

Does he have deep cuts that are worthy? Maybe. But I don't have the time, money or desire to buy up every Billy Idol release and make my own "essential playlist".

I did own this at one point though...
NEW BILLY IDOL 810fbGpUuHL._SL1500_

I had it in art school when I starting branching out into other types of music when I was more willing to forgo the "all-metal-all-the-time" attitude.

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 5:10 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Does he have deep cuts that are worthy? Maybe. But I don't have the time, money or desire to buy up every Billy Idol release and make my own "essential playlist".

It's not like he had many of them; just get the four albums released between 1982 and 1990, pretty much all solo Billy you'll ever need. Although, I do think he's got a fair share of filler there.[/quote]
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 9:56 am

TheGreatDuck wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

It's not like he had many of them; just get the four albums released between 1982 and 1990, pretty much all solo Billy you'll ever need. Although, I do think he's got a fair share of filler there.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. However, I've got 100+ titles on my want-list at the moment. Ol' William would go to the very back of the line. Razz

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 11:55 pm

Just heard the new tunes. "Can't Break Me Down" is good. The chorus is definitely a bit more modern than I like, but it's a good tune. "Postcards from the Past" is, in my opinion, outstanding. Like I posted on Facebook a bit ago, when he does that 80s synth-pop/rock stuff...man, it's awesome. This song is classic Idol.

Honestly, though, I only know classic Idol. Just the hits. I've never owned an album by him. I've always thought I should pilfer some from the used bins, but I always forget to do so.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 2:36 pm

billy idol brings back so many memories. back in the 80s my sister was a big fan.
it was through idol that I got into rock and metal.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2015 1:40 pm

I'm reading Billy Idol's autobiography Dancing With Myself right now. I never owned any of his albums but like most children of the MTV age I dug his early '80s singles.

Anyway, it's a great read thus far. Billy has led a very, errr, interesting life. I say "interesting" in a "Good Lord, how is this guy still breathing and walking around?" sort of way.

I was in the drug store near my house the other day and noticed that they have a Billy Idol edition of those cheapie "ICON" greatest-hits CD's ... reading this book has got me thinkin' about picking that up.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2015 8:45 pm

I like the "Postcards" song. It's a blatant return to his 80s sound.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3178

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2015 3:30 pm

Steven Pearcy's book - said he did cocaine with Idol -
actually Idol - did Pearcy's coke - and Idol's lady BITCHED as Pearcy stood there !
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2019 6:56 pm

Bought Idol’s greatest hits for 6 bucks. Not bad. Some memories ignited.
I just bought his book for 5 bucks. Have to read it now !
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2019 9:26 pm

Sounds fine by me. His voice is very recognizable. I assume Steve Stevens isn't on this?
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2019 11:47 pm

One of his best tunes:

Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 3:21 pm

martinsane wrote:
Sounds fine by me. His voice is very recognizable. I assume Steve Stevens isn't on this?
Yep, Steve is on it. I thought the same thing so I looked it up. There are a ton of people on it including Geoff Downes.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 6:09 pm

Blasted L.A Woman cover he did in my car today.
People on the street - no matter their race - seemed to know it was Idol ! Lol !
Great car cruise tune in the summer -
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 9:48 pm

I love Billy! White Wedding. What a great fucking song. I just can't ever get tired of it. So many other great songs to. Even some newer one's like John Wayne.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2021 9:28 pm

I like this new tune from Billy.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 10:04 am

I just ordered Billy Idol's EP, I was surprised they are bothering to release a physical copy of it, since its only 4 songs and none of the 4 songs are 20 minute epics.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 10:37 am

Billy has a great voice!

After all these years, he still has it.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 6:20 pm

Oh I gotta get his book! Thanks for the heads up!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NEW BILLY IDOL Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW BILLY IDOL   NEW BILLY IDOL Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NEW BILLY IDOL
Page 1 of 1