Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014

Go down 
+17
scottmitchell74
iamrockerfun
exact33
corplhicks
manny
Boris2008
DallasBlack
DakotaRogers
James B.
Leatherface
tohostudios
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
Required Fields
nevermore
thejokeriv
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18 ... 25  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 6:01 pm

I knew somebody would quibble with that comment. 

I guess it launched it for me because I actually saw Friday the 13th in a movie theater.  I didn't see Halloween until years later.

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 6:18 pm

I remember being in day care in 1978 and hearing the staff workers talking about how scary Halloween was. It was incredibly popular, constant TV ads, magazine articles, it was everywhere. When that little tiny independent film (with a budget of $325,000) ended up bringing in $70 million in the initial theatrical run, the studios were tripping over themselves putting horror movies into production.

Not taking away from Friday The 13th, it's extremely influential, but it probably would never have been made without the success of Halloween.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 8:38 pm

I love Halloween III! My Capt. at work does too, so we watched it the other day. One more day to Halloween, Silver Shamrock!

Stitches - Irish film about a clown killed at a party who resurrects 6 years later to exact his revenge. Silly, but VERY gory.

Oakland Raiders -v- Cleveland Browns - Jan. 4, 1981 AFC Playoff game. AKA "Red Right 88". Never seen it before, as I was 6 the first time around and for whatever reason didn't that year, but I remember the Kardiac Kids. That was the season I become a life-long Raiders fan. As such, I needed to see some winning since the current model isn't doing anything for me right now.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 7:35 am

Penguins vs Kings
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18963

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 3:21 pm

Pawn Stars
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28455

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 4:13 pm

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 4:19 pm

S.D. wrote:
Not taking away from Friday The 13th, it's extremely influential, but it probably would never have been made without the success of Halloween.

Sean Cunningham, who co-wrote and directed "F13" has admitted many times that they were totally jumping on the "Halloween" bandwagon when they came up with "Friday."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 6:19 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Sean Cunningham, who co-wrote and directed "F13" has admitted many times that they were totally jumping on the "Halloween" bandwagon when they came up with "Friday."  

"Personal foul.  Unnecessary roughness.  Piling on.  Fat Freddy.  15 yards."

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 9:32 pm

Watched Halloween III while giving out the usual full-size bars to trick or treaters.  Funny thing: I don't remember it ending like that.  I remember the robo-chick trying to kill Tom Skerritt but I don't remember the commercial being canceled on 2 channels but not on the third.  I think I've always been doing something else when I've watched this movie and this is the first time I actually was around for the ending.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 9:54 pm

Yeah, I always wonder...does that mean millions of kids "buy it" or did the destruction of the Stone and the factory negate the masks?

The Stand - the cheesy 90's garb notwithstanding, I thought it held up pretty well 20 years later. Infectious diseases been on my mind lately.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 10:06 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Yeah, I always wonder...does that mean millions of kids "buy it" or did the destruction of the Stone and the factory negate the masks?

The Stand - the cheesy 90's garb notwithstanding, I thought it held up pretty well 20 years later. Infectious diseases been on my mind lately.

Yeah that's the other thing that puzzled me.  I thought once the stone was destroyed the chips in the masks were rendered useless.

But look at us; we're trying to apply logic to an extremely illogical movie.  This is one of those flicks where you just have to put your brain in neutral and enjoy the ride.  Stonehenge, cyborgs, Halloween masks, snakes and bugs exploding from people's heads....yeah, brain, you can take the night off.

Funny story from tonight:  I had a little girl trick or treater at my door (maybe all of 4 years old) and some of that weird synthesizer music that permeates this movie was playing.  She took a candy bar, looked up at me and said "What's that sound?".  I had to explain it was coming from the TV.  When you think about it, Halloween III really does have an odd soundtrack.

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 10:59 pm

In Halloween II there is a scene where Donald Pleasance is talking about Samhain and origins of Halloween. Alluding to some supernatural underpinnings that is causing Michael to do what he does. The movie doesn't actually do anything with that, it was just crammed into the scene to try and create a little extra tension by conjuring up our imaginations. But I think that ended up being the germ of the idea behind Halloween III.

The punchline is he really didn't develop the idea any further in Halloween III, as Toho mentioned above he just took a bunch of random shit and threw it against the wall. It is utterly ridiculous, even for a horror movie. I think Carpenter was whacked out of his mind on quaaludes while he was working on the script. But I still dig it, there is so much gonzo going on it's impossible to dislike.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 9:13 am

Quote :
When you think about it, Halloween III really does have an odd soundtrack.

That creepy ass synthesizer soundtrack is one of the coolest things about "H-III." I wouldn't mind having that soundtrack album (if one exists).
*EDIT* It does exist... and it's on Spotify! Woohoo!

Anywhoo, this morning I watched...

"Spine Tingler! The William Castle Story" (2007)

Entertaining documentary about the life and career of William Castle, the legendary B-Movie producer/director behind such gimmicky 50s and 60s favorites as "House on Haunted Hill," "The Tingler," and "Homicidal."
Features lots of fun clips from his films as well as insight and commentary from fellow directors, friends and fans including John Waters, Roger Corman, Leonard Maltin and Joe Dante.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 10:50 am

Count me in as a HIII fan. Has a great atmosphere, insane soundtrack (I'm a sucker for those 80's synth scores), intriguing premise, and KIDS DIE. Although that was kind of cooler for me when I wasn't a dad...
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 3:07 pm

Alice Cooper's Night Of Fear
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 4:53 pm

Ghostbusters
BTVS - Halloween

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 5:02 pm

Witchfinder General (1968, UK)

"I'm Matthew Hopkins; Witchfinder."

Late 60s British exploitation film disguised as historical drama. The gore is tame compared to today but it's still GRIM as all hell. Price is great in the title role, projecting an air of upper crust menace. Heavily censored in the England when released, the uncut version was released in the States under the title "The Conqueror Worm" to try and make it appear as a continuation of the Poe adaptations Price had been doing with Roger Corman. I can't say it's a "fun" film, but it is deserving of the cult reputation.

Director Michael Reeves died of a drug overdose just a few months after it was released, he was only 25.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 5:36 pm

Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters (unrated)

I told my brain it could take the weekend off after subjecting it to H3 last night. Good thing too because while I found this movie wildly entertaining (and very gory!) there were anachronisms, incongruities and WTF? moments around every corner.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 6:28 pm

"Metallica: Through the Never" (2013)

A strange mix of concert film and conceptual video ala Zeppelin's "Song Remains the Same." While Metallica storms through a typically fiery greatest-hits set, a member of their road crew is sent into the mean streets of the big city - where he has a series of increasingly bizarre adventures. Metallica's performance is cool, but the "fantasy" segments involving the roadie eventually become intrusive and somewhat silly. This would probably have been received better if it were just a straight concert film without the "narrative" segments.

...but it was worth sitting thru all the nonsense just to hear the band jam on the classic instrumental "Orion" in an empty arena over the end credits.

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 6:30 pm

I watched about 30 minutes of Through The Never, it was okay but didn't excite me enough to finish it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 6:32 pm

S.D. wrote:
I watched about 30 minutes of Through The Never, it was okay but didn't excite me enough to finish it.

Yeah, it was a decent enough way to kill 90 minutes on a rainy afternoon but I'll probably never watch it again.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Yeah, it was a decent enough way to kill 90 minutes on a rainy afternoon but I'll probably never watch it again.

I'd like to see an edited version with JUST the concert.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 10:07 pm

Queen Live At The Rainbow '74

Such a great live act.  Setting aside Freddie's one-of-a-kind voice, Brian May's guitar work here is spectacular.  And I think what amazes me most is how Freddie glides from frontman to keyboard player.  Sometimes he's actually still got the mic in his hand as he's simultaneously playing a keyboard part with his other hand. 

And this DVD proves that SD is correct; the high pitched vocals on "Lap of the Gods" are definitely coming from Roger Taylor.  Amazing band.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18963

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 6:56 am

Red Eye
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 4:53 pm

Watched the Cardinals beat the Cowboys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014 - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV series) 2014
Page 11 of 25Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18 ... 25  Next