Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NY Dolls Johnny Thunders Documentary

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

NY Dolls Johnny Thunders Documentary Empty
PostSubject: NY Dolls Johnny Thunders Documentary   NY Dolls Johnny Thunders Documentary Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 3:40 pm

Not sure how many folks will care about this, but here goes...

Quote :
Johnny Thunders was the legendary hard-living rock 'n' roll guitarist of the New York Dolls and Heartbreakers who inspired glam-metal, punk and the music scene in general. 'Looking For Johnny' is a 90-minute film, slated for release on DVD October 14th, that documents Thunders' career from his beginnings to his tragic death in 1991.

When Johnny Thunders died in New Orleans on April 23rd 1991, he left behind a mystery. Though MTV and international broadsheets reported the guitarist's demise, for many in the mainstream, Thunders was perceived as an enigmatic outlaw. He was adored by a legion of devotees and cited as an influence by at least three successive generations of musicians. Thunders refused to play the corporate game and was both elevated and damned for it.

'Looking For Johnny' is the creation of the documentary maker, Danny Garcia ('The Rise & Fall of The Clash') -- through Chip Baker Films in association with Jungle Records and MVD Entertainment Group. The young Spanish filmmaker was seized by a question that wouldn't let go -- "just who was Johnny Thunders?" He spent 18 months travelling across the USA and Europe, filming interviews with fifty of the people who were closest to Johnny, building a compelling narrative drawn from first hand testimonies.

The film examines Johnny Thunders' career from the early '70s as a founding member of the influential New York Dolls, the birth of the punk scene with The Heartbreakers in both New York City and London, and later incarnations including Gang War and The Oddballs. It also explores Johnny's unique musical style, his personal battle with drugs and theories on the circumstances of his death in a New Orleans hotel in 1991 at age 38.

Interviewees include Sylvain Sylvain, Lenny Kaye, Walter Lure, Billy Rath, Bob Gruen, Terry Chimes, Alan Vega, Peter Perrett, Sami Yaffa, three of his late managers (Marty Thau, Leee Black Childers and Malcolm McLaren), and many others.

The film includes forty songs (including "Born To Lose" and "You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory") and historic film of Johnny with live performances from all periods, including unseen New York Dolls and Heartbreakers footage and photos. Cult filmmakers Bob Gruen, Don Letts, Patrick Grandperret, Rachael Amadeo and others contribute classic archive footage, helping illustrate the charisma, chaos and heartbreak inherent to the guitarist.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: NY Dolls Johnny Thunders Documentary   NY Dolls Johnny Thunders Documentary Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 3:42 pm

Ever see the doc about Killer Kane? It was kind of depressing. But at least he got to play again with the Dolls before his death, which really seemed like the only thing he wanted to begin with.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: NY Dolls Johnny Thunders Documentary   NY Dolls Johnny Thunders Documentary Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 3:43 pm

As a fan of the Dolls and his solo work, I'd certainly like to give this a shot. And yes, I saw that Killer Kane doc. Sad, but interesting nonetheless.

And on a related note, original Heartbreakers bassist Billy Rath passed away a few days ago, leaving 2nd guitarist Walter Lure the last remaining original Heartbreaker still alive.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: NY Dolls Johnny Thunders Documentary   NY Dolls Johnny Thunders Documentary Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 10:38 pm

I am a New York Dolls fan so I am very interested in this doc
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NY Dolls Johnny Thunders Documentary   NY Dolls Johnny Thunders Documentary Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NY Dolls Johnny Thunders Documentary
Page 1 of 1