Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vinyl storage

Go down 
+3
Runicen
Boris2008
mikeinfla
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Vinyl storage Empty
PostSubject: Vinyl storage   Vinyl storage Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 7:01 am

We have discussed this in another thread but what do you guys use to store your records? I am not talking about sleeves but crates, shelves, etc.

At work we have old pallets and anyone who wants one can take em. I am thinking of taking a few of the old pallets home and making my own wood crates. I found this site

http://discardeddevelopment.blogspot.com/2013/03/from-shipping-pallets-to-record-crates.html

Pretty cool idea, however I would want them to be "not as tall" as what they have. I am thinking of making something more along the lines of the Peaches crate.

Vinyl storage Photo-4_18_12-3.02.53-PM-1-e1334779539735-764x1024

Thinking of making 2 that might hold 100 each.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Vinyl storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl storage   Vinyl storage Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 7:04 am

Here are some more

https://imgur.com/a/PfdhY

I may put 2X4's or 2X6's on the bottom tho to keep them stronger.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Vinyl storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl storage   Vinyl storage Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 11:04 am

Ikea Expedit

Vinyl storage Pict2286rgh4
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Vinyl storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl storage   Vinyl storage Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 11:25 am

Ikea doesn't seem to have the Expedit shelves anymore. I have a number of those myself.

They've replaced them with Kallax shelving, which is the same thing with thinner top, bottom and sides.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20275885/

I picked one of these up for a friend and, the only real change I can register is that the 2x4 cube Expedit shelves are the kind of thing you can push while loaded if you're just trying to move them a short distance. They're strong enough to handle that. The thinner outside "walls" of the Kallax are a lot less sturdy and I would never try to push one of them with any kind of weight in them. For stationary storage, I don't think you can go wrong with it.

Making your own crates would be cool, but I'd probably try to limit the capacity of the crates to 50. Having moved my collection roughly a year ago, let me tell you - they're heavier than they look and 100 together may be well more than you'd want to heft if you were even trying to unstack them.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Vinyl storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl storage   Vinyl storage Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 11:43 am

Cool I have the 5x5 version of the expedit!
Back to top Go down
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

Vinyl storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl storage   Vinyl storage Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 5:29 pm

I've been looking at these lately. I like the idea of being able to flip through my records.

http://www.lpbin.com/
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Vinyl storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl storage   Vinyl storage Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 11:54 am

kethdredd wrote:
I've been looking at these lately.  I like the idea of being able to flip through my records.

http://www.lpbin.com/

Wow those are incredibly cool! But at $239 its just too expensive. My best bet it to try and make my own ou of pallets. I am going to try but currently out of town on business. When I get back I am gonna take about 3 pallets and try to make something up. Going to sand them down, build and stain. Whenever I get around to it I'll post updates.
Back to top Go down
Locky
Metal novice
Metal novice
Locky

Number of posts : 46

Vinyl storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl storage   Vinyl storage Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 2:32 pm

I use 4 of these units

Vinyl storage Dscf4110

Vinyl storage Dscf4111

For the CDs though I went for the record store look with these beauties

Vinyl storage Dscf3410
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Vinyl storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl storage   Vinyl storage Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 3:07 pm

Ok, Locky, that's a pretty sexy setup.

Would probably drive me nuts though having to flip through the collection instead of scanning spine labels though.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

Vinyl storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl storage   Vinyl storage Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 10:51 am

I've been wanting to try this for a while. Doesn't look too hard to do.

Record storage from a 4x8 sheet of plywood
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Vinyl storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl storage   Vinyl storage Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 9:06 pm

I pretty much don't have any storage for my records. at the moment we're using this old cabinet for my entertainment center. I think it used to actually be a hutch but I removed the drawers so I could put my stereo receiver and cd changer in it. On the sides it has two cabinets thats big enough for most of my records but since my collection has grown a little I ran out of room and now I have the extras sitting on top of my sub and my record player sits on top of the records haha. Probably not a good thing to do but I don't have anywhere else to put it at the moment. I have a bunch of wood left over from redoing the basement I should really go through it and put something together. I also have some pallets but they aren't in the best shape. I don't know where people find nice crates. Everyone I ever see they are almost destroyed.

As I wrote in another post. FYE has a crate that holds 100 records for $30. You have to put it together yourself. I have no idea what it looks like I only saw the box, but I guess its not bad if your not handy or can't find anything else.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Vinyl storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl storage   Vinyl storage Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 8:56 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I pretty much don't have any storage for my records. at the moment we're using this old cabinet for my entertainment center. I think it used to actually be a hutch but I removed the drawers so I could put my stereo receiver and cd changer in it. On the sides it has two cabinets thats big enough for most of my records but since my collection has grown a little I ran out of room and now I have the extras sitting on top of my sub and my record player sits on top of the records haha. Probably not a good thing to do but I don't have anywhere else to put it at the moment. I have a bunch of wood left over from redoing the basement I should really go through it and put something together. I also have some pallets but they aren't in the best shape. I don't know where people find nice crates. Everyone I ever see they are almost destroyed.

As I wrote in another post. FYE has a crate that holds 100 records for $30. You have to put it together yourself. I have no idea what it looks like I only saw the box, but I guess its not bad if your not handy or can't find anything else.

I have seen those at FYE too. They look pretty cool but I heard that the wood isn't very strong and separates where they are "stapled" together. Not much different than the pallet wood I have been using. but if anyone out there has one of these from FYE let me know, I'd like to know how well they hold up (and they guy who told me they didn't works at FYE).
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Vinyl storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl storage   Vinyl storage Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 3:07 pm

hahaha well thats good to know

Vinyl storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl storage   Vinyl storage Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 5:44 pm

When I moved into my new apartment the previous tenant left a large entertainment center behind, which luckily had more than enough storage space for my small LP collection...with room to grow! So I don't need to worry about storage for awhile.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Vinyl storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl storage   Vinyl storage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vinyl storage
Page 1 of 1