Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...

Go down 
+9
Wargod
SideShowDisaSter
Smindas
INVADERS
SAHB Healer
mc666
sovdat
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
13 posters

Where do you store most of your CD collection?
Shelving (wall mounted)
CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Vote_lcap14%CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Vote_rcap
 14% [ 5 ]
Shelving (bookcase)
CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Vote_lcap26%CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Vote_rcap
 26% [ 9 ]
CD stands/towers/racks
CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Vote_lcap11%CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Vote_rcap
 11% [ 4 ]
CD cases/DJ cases
CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Vote_lcap3%CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Drawers/chests
CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Vote_lcap6%CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Vote_rcap
 6% [ 2 ]
CD binders/booklets
CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Vote_lcap6%CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Vote_rcap
 6% [ 2 ]
Boxes
CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Vote_lcap17%CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Vote_rcap
 17% [ 6 ]
On the floor
CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Vote_lcap9%CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Vote_rcap
 9% [ 3 ]
Other
CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Vote_lcap8%CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Vote_rcap
 8% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 35

AuthorMessage

CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Empty
PostSubject: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2007 9:42 am

How do you store your CD collection???

I know that many of you reading this post will have at some stage faced the CD storage dilema. This dilema occurs when your CD collection becomes far too large to fit inside your home.

So what do you do??? Install shelving?? Buy more CD racks/cases?? Sell some CD's?? Get a bigger home??

One option that I'm really seriously looking into at the moment is the use of plastic sleeves to store my CD's in. I know many of you will be turning your noses up at the idea as did I at first...but there are some really well manufactured products out there which have been designed for long term CD storage/archival which will look after your CD collection much better that those big chunky jewel cases.

One such product that I'm looking at is called the JewelSleeve - basically it is a plastic sleeve that has a paded compartment for one or two CD's as well as compartments for the front booklet and tray insert. The key feature here is that there is an appropriately sized section for the tray card inserts - most products on the market are designed for the CD and front insert only. Some people actually throw the tray card inserts away...crazy! The sleeves are made from a really high quality material that gives total protection to the CD and inserts.

Check out JewelSleeves here. There's a short demonstration video to show you what they're like.
http://www.jewelsleeve.com/cgi-bin/mivavm?../mm5/merchant.mvc+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=jewelsleeve&Product_Code=101&Category_Code=C001

The advantage of plastic sleeves for CD storage is that they can reduce the amount of space taken up by your jewel cases by up to 75% while still allowing your CD's to be well organised, presented and accessible.

This disadvantages of plastic sleeves is that in general you cannot view the spine as you can with a jewel case and they can be quite expensive.

The argument that plastic sleeves are too flimsy doesn't hold up with me...if you look after your CD collection and store your CD's in an appropriate way, you shouldn't have a problem. And let's face it - jewel cases can be very easily cracked, and when those little black teeth break off from time to time they can cause quite a bit of damage to the CD's data surface.

CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... 2000cd2jsHere we have 2000 empty jewel cases, the contents of which have been removed and stored in JewelSleeves which are organised into those 6 drawers you can see.

CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... ThreeChest_fsThis is the same cabinet as in the picture above. These 3 drawers can hold 1000 CD's. Look how organised it is.

I'm very curious to know what your CD storage solution is and do you have any other ideas/suggestions/questions on this issue. I'm particularly keen to hear what you think about storing CD's in plastic sleeves...
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2007 10:03 am

I use a shelf unit similar to a book shelf with glass doors on the front.You can add shelves to add more cds.right now I have around 400 cds in it
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2007 10:14 am

I have a bookcase (app. 800) and a cd rack (app. 300) which are both filling up. I'm gonna have to start another one soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2007 10:16 am

Thrasher73 would you ever consider storing your CD's in plastic sleeves? I guess at 400 CD's it probably isn't as big a deal as someone with say 1000+ CD's, but that's still a sizeable collection which I'm sure you planing on making bigger...
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2007 11:25 am

Shelves.

And I would have never ever got myself something like this JewelSleeve.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2007 12:42 pm

Mine are everywhere in my room, plenty of Boxes holding around 1800 CDs , 1 self unit (not wall mounted) holds 840 CDs, a chest which holds 631 CDs,

The womans father is hand at carpentry and he's making 2 more units which will hold 1200 each so that should free up some space whenever he bothers his ass to do 'em
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2007 1:08 pm

hellfire wrote:
Thrasher73 would you ever consider storing your CD's in plastic sleeves? I guess at 400 CD's it probably isn't as big a deal as someone with say 1000+ CD's, but that's still a sizeable collection which I'm sure you planing on making bigger...

It seems as though it grows daily.I never have considered plastic sleeves,but it doesnt sound like such a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2007 1:14 pm

i'm not as organized as the rest of you. i keep mine in boxes down in the basement. over the years, i've made mp3 copies of almost all of it, because i can never find the disc i want when i look for it. so i rarely play an actual cd anymore. only when i first buy them really.

SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2007 7:21 pm

I keep the cases for the stuff I have in rotation in towers. This works for me because I have them programmed into my cd jukebox changers (where the actual cd's are stored) by genere. The genres are usually in multiples of 25 (25 to 150 per genre); which works well becuase the towers are also usually set up to hold multiples of 25 or 50 per side. I usually pick a genre and play randomly within it.
The rest of it that is out of rotation (the stuff I don't listen to much) are on shelving in closets. I guess a librarian would call these the "stacks".
The non-keeper cd's are in boxes in closets. I really should get rid of that crap.
But the plastic sleve method, I've seen a lot of retail shops use that method or similar, and it seems like a good idea; it's just not the way I'm set up right now.
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2007 11:50 am

i kinda voted for all because i have them scattered around everywhere
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 1:54 am

I have a cd bookcase style thing that holds around 500 cd's. It's almost full.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 10:21 am

Something about that JewelSleeve system seems highly unappetising to me.

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 10:23 am

I have 3 different kinds of racks, towers, shelves. One is this case that has doors that CDs go in, and shelves in the middle of it. Holds are 275.

I've also got a 3 ft. tall bookcase type thing. Holds around 250 or so.

Then I have this metal rack that holds around 150 or so.

All 3 are full, and I'm in need of more storage space. I've thought about getting one of those large bookcase type ones that can hold 1000.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2007 7:53 pm

Here is how all mine are stored with the exception of mp3's that are stored in spindles.

Below are pics!

CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... DSCF0839

CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... DSCF0838

CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... DSCF0837

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2007 10:53 pm

Holy cow! That is one impressive set-up, Wargod! Your collection makes me feel very, very... small. Sad

Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2007 6:17 pm

mine are everywhere, my cd's that are in my MP3 player are scattered on a pony wall, and the rest are either on my cumputer desk, on the floor or on a couple tables. I need to organize........
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2007 1:25 pm

The cases are boxed up in my air-conditioned shop & the cd's are in binders, I'll have over 1000 pretty soon. Collecting can be pretty addictive.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2007 2:24 pm

Quote :
Holy cow! That is one impressive set-up, Wargod! Your collection makes me feel very, very... small.

Ah thanx I need to make another wall rack I have cds that I didn't take pics of in another room, as soon as i move i'm building a new one!

Wargod48

NP: Meliah Rage - Deep And Dreamless Sleep
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2007 8:15 am

I have a majority of them on the shelf, but I also chicked other because I have my favourite bands showing on the wall (cover art facing forward).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...   CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CD Storage - How do you store your CD collection...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: