Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What got you into Heavy Metal?

Go down 
+24
Olafsto
sovdat
T-Roy
Hamer12
EvyMetal
DallasBlack
Chairman_Smith
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
INVADERS
Smindas
ensiferum2k
ghost
KissinMaiden
7thSecond
outofstep
mc666
Metal Misfit
journeyman
GrandNational
Wargod
thejokeriv
ultmetal
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

What got you into Heavy Metal? Empty
PostSubject: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 7:09 pm

Just interested to know how some of you got into Heavy Metal.

For me I used to hate Rock/Metal, then I decided to get the GN'R Greatest Hits when it came out just for experimentation, and I loved it, I remember thinking woah this is heavy! And I like it! little did I know of the things to come.
Gn'r acted as a gateway band, from them I got into Jimi Hendrix, then Zeppelin and then Sabbath. And once you get into Sabbath... well the gate sort of becomes a great bloody Aircraft Hangar door. That's when I got into Metallica, Megadeth, Death, Maiden, Anthrax etc.
But I've started to go back now and listen to more early stuff again that really opened the gateway like Rush, Black Sabbath, Yes, Amboy Dukes etc
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 7:20 pm

Dirt-biking in gravel quarries in Hutchinson, MN while someone cranked "The Eagle has Landed".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 7:31 pm

THAT SERPENT OF OLD,CALLED THE DEVIL AND LUCIFER ! THE ONLY DECENT D-MN THING THAT BAST**D EVER DID FOR ME ....HE ALSO TAUGHT ME THE SECRETS OF BACKMASKING-

EGANORI
...OOPS I MEANT IRONAGE.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 7:57 pm

I was a kid in grade school. A neighbor use to blare bands like Kiss, The Who, Thin Lizzy, etc. through his stereo. The whole neighborhood heard it. My friend and I, who were much younger than this kid, hung out with him and got heavily into Kiss, Aerosmith, etc. By the time I was in fifth grade I was into bands like Thin Lizzy, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, UFO, Angel, etc. By mid-high I was into Judas Priest, Saxon, Motorhead, Def Leppard, Venom etc. High school it was Twisted Sister, Metallica, Anthrax, Heathens Rage, Queensryche, Mercyful Fate, etc.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 8:45 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I was a kid in grade school. A neighbor use to blare bands like Kiss, The Who, Thin Lizzy, etc. through his stereo. The whole neighborhood heard it. My friend and I, who were much younger than this kid, hung out with him and got heavily into Kiss, Aerosmith, etc. By the time I was in fifth grade I was into bands like Thin Lizzy, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, UFO, Angel, etc. By mid-high I was into Judas Priest, Saxon, Motorhead, Def Leppard, Venom etc. High school it was Twisted Sister, Metallica, Anthrax, Heathens Rage, Queensryche, Mercyful Fate, etc.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 8:50 pm

Umm the 70's are what got me into metal with bands like:
AC/DC
Budgie
Riot
Montrose
Trapeze
Black Sabbath
White Witch
Judas Priest
Detective
Rose Tattoo

Countless others!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 9:42 pm

I got into Jimi Hendrix when I was 14 and he opened me up to the Blues, Classic Rock, and eventually to Metal.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 9:43 pm

My bother gave me Kiss Hotter Than Hell when I was in grade school (he was headed into the military). My parents thought they were evil so I had to hide the album from them. They gave in when my grandmother bought me a Kiss Destroyer shirt at the state fair one year. I guess I've always been into metal. It took a while for me to get into bands like Metallica and Mercyful Fate. They were nothing like Kiss, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Rush, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Whitesnake, Dio, Black Sabbath, and Ozzy...I'm sure I left many bands out. All these years later and I still listen to the same music...My favorite bands back then still are now. My wife still doesn't understand why I listen to "that" music...oh well, thank God for ipods.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 9:54 pm

I didn't take an active role in listening to music until about '98 (I turned 17 that year!) or so. I have three different friends to thank for getting me interested in metal/rock: one friend let me have his old Appetite for Destruction cassette, another let me borrow Poison's Greatest Hits CD and a few Bon Jovi CDs, then another played Metallica for me.

So I had my bases covered: Poison & Bon Jovi ---> GNR ---> Metallica. Very Happy Things just kinda snowballed from there with me checking out websites for any info I could find on bands, making frequent trips to the music store, downloading songs, and ordering CDs online. The next major find for me was KISS. Something I reached out and tried on my own with Alive II & the then recent release of Psycho Circus. Never looked back, KISS is my favorite band.

I've more or less stuck with the older acts in rock & metal (with a few shames to my name of more current/mainstream acts) since then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 12:00 am

Stryper was the band that did it for me. A friend of mine gave me a copy of "Soldiers Under Command". It was just a tape 'burn', but I loved it. I cranked it nonstop for months on end.

Then "To Hell with the Devil" came out and I bought it brand new. I was hooked.

From that point I got into other bands like Bloodgood, Barren Cross, Saint and Bride.

I just listened to Christian metal for years. Then in 1989 I discovered thrash metal with Vengeance Rising. Just called Vengeance at the time. I got ahold of their 'red' demo before they were signed through Heaven's Metal mag.

From there I got into Slayer, Metallica, Overkill, Kreator, Sodom, and other such bands. I became a little thrasher. I'm still a thrasher - but I've branched out and I do appreciate other music nowadays too - but metal is my main diet. My meat if you will. The other stuff is just side dishes for me.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 12:30 am

i was in grade school & me & all my friends were into our local
hometown heros the Misfits. it took off from there with my mom giving
me Judas Priest & Black Sabbath albums that were in with a bunch of
records she bought at a yard sale.

froom then on it progressed. my sisters boyfriend gave me Slayer's Hell
Awaits. one of my first record purchases on my own was Warlock's
Burning The Witches. then onto Bathory, Napalm Death, Celtic Frost, etc
etc.,

outofstep
Metal novice
Metal novice
outofstep

Number of posts : 90

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 12:35 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
Dirt-biking in gravel quarries in Hutchinson, MN while someone cranked "The Eagle has Landed".

I grew up in Willmar! Small world. Anyway, back on topic:

I grew up with hair metal. I first heard Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, and Motley Crue when I was in third/fourth grade back in 83/84. since my parents wouldn't let me buy any tapes/records of these bands (not like I had money anyway), I would go over to a friends house who's older brother was into metal. There I first heard Maiden, Priest, Helix, etc. Eventually a friend of mine got ride the lightening. The first time I heard it I was blown away. Until then, I thought maiden was as heavy as metal got. About a year or so later another friend got peace sells and reign in blood. After that, my tastes started to lean towards the heavier side of metal (though I was still listening to hair metal, and still love it to this day!) Still , my parents wouldn't allow any of the stuff in the house, so luckily I discovered Christian metal, and I picked up everything I could from Barren Cross, Saint, Stryper, Messiah Prophet, Bride, etc, and that later turned into Deliverance, Vengeance, living sacrifice, etc. Though my parents though the music was horrible, they loved the message, and thought I'd probably "grow out" of my metal phase in a year or two. To their continued surprise I'm just as excited about metal now as I was then!
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 1:09 am

I think it was because the girl I really liked had a big crush on Vince Neil. So I of course had to check out this Motley Crue band. Shout At The Devil had just been released so I bought it. Cum On Feel The Noize was tearing up the charts at the same time so I checked out Metal Health as well. Then a friend turned me onto another brand new album, Ride The Lightning. From there it just progressed rapidly, kind of like kudzu.

P.S. Welcome Allen (A.K.A. blackieboy)
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 1:12 am

Went through a nu-metal phase, until I bought Slayer "God Hates us All" and it started from there. Of course I found out about megadeth and maiden soon afterwards.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 1:14 am

Thanks 7thSecond! 🤘
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 1:16 am

KissinMaiden wrote:
Went through a nu-metal phase, until I bought Slayer "God Hates us All" and it started from there. Of course I found out about megadeth and maiden soon afterwards.
nothing like a little Slayer to bring the dead alive! 🤘

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 1:19 am

My first introduction to Slayer was "Reign in Blood". I was blown away. I would just sit there and listen to it - I was only a kid at the time. But that was almost 20 years ago now. Wow time flies.
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 am

I remember getting reign in blood but, i was more impressed with south of heaven. What a great album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 1:25 am

Yeah, "South of Heaven" is good too!

Now my all time favorite Slayer album is "Seasons in the Abyss". But I like em all!

🤘
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 1:30 am

blackieboy wrote:
My first introduction to Slayer was "Reign in Blood". I was blown away. I would just sit there and listen to it - I was only a kid at the time. But that was almost 20 years ago now. Wow time flies.
my friend, i still get that same feeling with that awesome album.

ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 1:43 am

In 1980 I saw Motörhead in the German music show Musikladen playing the song Motörhead. It blew me away and from that day on I am a Motörhead fan. Motörhead opened the door for me and I soon started to listen to Kiss, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath...
Back to top Go down
ensiferum2k
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ensiferum2k

Number of posts : 340

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 3:00 am

I was really into rap for about 10 years, starting in my childhood and ending in my late teens.I started to tire of rap, bigtime. So I wanted to try new stuff out there, I tried prog, electronica, metal, nu-metal, etc. I noticed that metal and nu-metal were the two I was listening the most. Actually, nu-metal was what I mostly listened to. probably because many bands were influenced by rap.

So a while later notice some gamer friends of mine constantly talking about these bands i've never heard of. I asked for some mp3s and I got hooked, instantly. turns out the majority of the bands were melodeath bands from scandinavia. Melodeath was what I listened to for about a year straight. Well, I wanted more metal so I turned to the metalarchives and I started looking up bands this guy named ultraboris liked. Turns out that I really enjoyed a lot of his favorite albums. Couple of years later and here we are. Sorry for the long, boring story
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 6:01 am

I had two older cousins who decided to 'ruin' me back in 1982. One was a metalhead and gave me three Iron Maiden records for my birthday, his twinbrother was more of a punkrocker and he gave me 3 punk(rock) records. So I turned 6 years old and I owned 6 great reecords..... it all wnet downhill from there.... My parents thought it would just be a phase.... they know better now!

I still own these six records they gave me back then.... on october 8th it'll be the 25th anniversary of my donwfall Smile
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 6:05 am

My mum raised me on classic rock, specifically Zeppelin. So it was always there really. When I started actively listening to my music by myself, I started off with generally rock-y stuff and then discovered Metallica and System of a Down along with various others - those two were pretty significant though. I guess things 'snowballed' shortly after that.

Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 6:28 am

My Dad got me into metal.

He used to listen to Judas Priest, Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Dark Angel, Anthrax, Testament, Atrophy . . . all types of metal.
I used to be really fascinated by the album covers and it just went from there.

My Dad gave me Priest's Painkiller when it was just released (i was about 6), and that was it for me.

METAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What got you into Heavy Metal?   What got you into Heavy Metal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What got you into Heavy Metal?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next