Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The "Keytar" on trial

Go down 
+15
Hamer12
Fat Freddy
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
jstate
DallasBlack
James B.
thejokeriv
Runicen
Citanul
exact33
bgsully
Witchfinder
T-Roy
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Is the keytar AWESOME or an ABOMINATION?
The keytar is pure metal AWESOMENESS!!
The "Keytar" on trial Vote_lcap17%The "Keytar" on trial Vote_rcap
 17% [ 3 ]
The keytar is an ABOMINATION and a sad, cheesy, pitiful substitute for guitar work and the art of the guitar solo.
The "Keytar" on trial Vote_lcap56%The "Keytar" on trial Vote_rcap
 56% [ 10 ]
Undecided
The "Keytar" on trial Vote_lcap27%The "Keytar" on trial Vote_rcap
 27% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 18

AuthorMessage
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

The "Keytar" on trial Empty
PostSubject: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 4:41 pm

Okay, there's a raging debate in my house right now over the "keytar."

My 14 and 16 year old sons contend that the keytar is "TOTAL METAL AWESOMENESS."

First time they made me watch a video...I thought it was "neat" and all, but felt like it was a cheap trick to emulate guitar work. And subsequently, a metal abomination.

But I don't know. That's my initial, knee-jerk response. However, have real metal bands been using these all along and I'm just naive and didn't know? They pointed out a solo in Sinbreeds first album that they say HAD to be one. I think it was just a keyboard and searched online for any shred of evidence for them using one and found nothing. I have no problem if the "keyboard" guy in a metal act uses one for the purpose of keyboard effects, etc. I think that's cool and certainly adds to a stage performance. But not doing the rhythm or lead guitars.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 5:13 pm

I'll let Dave Mustaine do the talking on this one:

"It was attempt to dress up the keyboardist like a freemoving member of the band, but the end result was making a musician look like a retard, the keytar was the worst musical invention ever"

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 8:47 pm

I chose "abomination".....with a small exception for Alestorm!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 9:22 pm

The keytar is an ABOMINATION. 'nuff said

Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 3:09 am

I don't quite know which side of the argument this supports, but I'll post it anyway.

Personally, I don't have a problem with a keytar although I wouldn't go so far as to describe it as "total metal awesomeness".
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 7:57 am

It falls into the "so bad, it's good" category for me. I'd gladly strap one on for a stage show just to say I did it. It's the rock/metal equivalent of the hurdy gurdy - just some strange mutant that should have died ages ago but refused to shuffle off.

...My god... The keytar is the Coelocanth.  Shocked 
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39559

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 8:04 am

Undecided. I really have no opinion on the thing.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 8:33 am

Voted undecided - I think they look stupid and are an excuse for the keyboard player to move from his spot on the stage... what's next, a Drumtar?

That said, I couldn't vote for Abomination, since the I didn't like the description of that vote.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12614

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 1:02 pm

There are two albums by The Allman Brothers Band that I cannot find a single redeeming quality about and that is saying something.   This is due to the "Keytar"

Those albums are "Reach For The Sky" and "Brother Of The Road" sick

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 2:41 am

Undecided. They are kind of dumb looking but the guy from Alestorm plays one so it can't be all bad.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 8:11 am

I have to go undecided.  I'd have voted for it's okay.  Since keyboards where the only instrument I even had the slightest amount of ability in playing I can't hate on it.  And if I'd pursued it to being in an actual band I would've wanted to use a keytar to move around on stage.  Then it would have probably been awesome in my eyes.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 11:19 am

Keytarded.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Incredible. I want everybody to move on stage if they can. If I'm a keyboard player I don't want to just be sitting on a riser in a shadow the entire time. The change of angle requires skill too.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 12:20 pm

The mere mention of the Keytar reminds me of Keel's video for "Tears of Fire," which reminds me of my college girlfriend (who inexplicably decided that it should be "our" song)... and she turned out to be a psycho hose beast, soooo... yeah, abomination.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
...Keel's video for "Tears of Fire," which reminds me of my college girlfriend (who inexplicably decided that it should be "our" song)...

And I feel like this is probably the only time this has ever happened.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 2:39 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
...Keel's video for "Tears of Fire," which reminds me of my college girlfriend (who inexplicably decided that it should be "our" song)...

And I feel like this is probably the only time this has ever happened.

The "Keytar" on trial Ps-and-ron-keel
"Dude, that's more messed up than this guys sexuality"

crazy happy 

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 2:57 pm

Laughing very hard I *did* say it was inexplicable. Haha.

I have no idea why my then-girlfriend liked that song so much. She was from Germany, so maybe there was a language barrier thing going on...

Not to mention, by the time this chick and I got together Keel's brief time in the spotlight had already come and gone, so yea, it was a totally odd pick.

But she heard the song one day when we were just randomly listening to tapes and she just fell in love it, made me play it about a zillion times. She made me sick of it within a couple of days (and I never liked it very much to begin with!)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Tue May 20, 2014 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 7:57 pm

Hey Joker, there is such a thing as a Drumitar! Roy Wooten plays one in Bela Fleck & the Flecktones. Saw them live a few years back, one of the best shows I've ever seen.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 8:08 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Incredible. I want everybody to move on stage if they can. If I'm a keyboard player I don't want to just be sitting on a riser in a shadow the entire time. The change of angle requires skill too.

Keytar bro-fist!  headbanger 
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 8:30 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
The mere mention of the Keytar reminds me of Keel's video for "Tears of Fire,"

Just in case some of you haven't seen this classic clip, check out Ron Keel's bad-ass onstage keytar hero moves:

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 8:40 am

Hamer12 wrote:
Hey Joker, there is such a thing as a Drumitar! Roy Wooten plays one in Bela Fleck & the Flecktones. Saw them live a few years back, one of the best shows I've ever seen.

The beat me to my get rich quick scam!
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 9:02 am

Why bother with a keytar when you can pick up a full keyboard instead?

Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 7:18 pm

keytar is NOT something I look for in music, but from the original post's videos,
I am reminded of one of my favorite LP's - the Death Wish II soundtrack by Jimmy Page.
I wonder if Jimmy used one ?
Him and Ace Frehley were never afraid of checking out new musical technology.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 10:32 pm

It's ok if you're Journey
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 10:41 pm

Prince's PurpleAxe is the only keytar in existence to EVER be cool. Tommy Barbarella could WAIL on that thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "Keytar" on trial   The "Keytar" on trial Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The "Keytar" on trial
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next