Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

slayer mania

Go down 
+3
jstate
MetallicSeminarian
Gilbert
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

slayer mania Empty
PostSubject: slayer mania   slayer mania Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 7:13 am

Slayer was one of the very first bands I became familiar with, as I was getting into metal back in the late 80s.

However I never bothered checking them out well due to their dark image.

A few years ago I made a first step into their world by purchasing seasons in the abyss, in a used cd store in europe.

These guys are truly good. Today I Happen to own as well reign in blood, show no mercy, hell awaits, south of heaven, divine intervention and world painted blood.

Any other albums you'd recommend from the band's discography?
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

slayer mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: slayer mania   slayer mania Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 7:20 am

I like Diabolus In Musica, even though most fans don't.

You already have what I would term essential, though.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

slayer mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: slayer mania   slayer mania Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 10:10 am

Their live stuff is worth looking into.  First time I heard Slayer was on the Less Than Zero soundtrack doing Inna-Godda-Da-Vida.  Blew me away.  Believe it or not the first time I heard a Slayer album was when a local library had a cassette of Reign In Blood.  They had gotten some notoriety around that time so it was pretty surprising that a library would have it.  To be honest I didn't think it was as shocking as I was led to believe.  My fandom really didn't take hold till South Of Heaven.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

slayer mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: slayer mania   slayer mania Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 10:20 am

I still have not made up my mind about diabolus.

Read lots of different reviews and I have been unable to check samples online so I might eventually go for a blind purchase. Hope I will not be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

slayer mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: slayer mania   slayer mania Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 10:30 am

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

slayer mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: slayer mania   slayer mania Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 10:36 am

I like Christ Illusion, in fact I like all Slayer records to some extent although I have to be in the mood these days.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

slayer mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: slayer mania   slayer mania Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:12 am

Thanks for posting videos bro

Sorry I cannot access them. Restriction policy again.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

slayer mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: slayer mania   slayer mania Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:13 am

Gilbert wrote:
Thanks for posting videos bro

Sorry I cannot access them.  Restriction policy again.

Ah, my apologies. Anyway, DiM is a bit slower and "sludgier" sounding than most of Slayer's work, but it still sounds like Slayer. I'd give it a chance.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

slayer mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: slayer mania   slayer mania Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:17 am

I thought "South of Heaven" was the first lp to offer the slower/doomier side of things...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

slayer mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: slayer mania   slayer mania Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:19 am

candlemass wrote:
I thought "South of Heaven" was the first lp to offer the slower/doomier side of things...

It was, but it's not quite as "sludgy" sounding as DiM, due at least partly to downtuning.

Also, note I said DiM was slower and sludgier than most of Slayer's work, not all of it.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

slayer mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: slayer mania   slayer mania Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 am

Get Hauting The Chapel and Live Undead. Those are both great listens and are on the same CD now.

I would stay far away from Diabolus. It's their worst album and features many nu metal influences. The band even tries to distance themselves from it. I believe Kerry King describes it as their "Turbo."
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

slayer mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: slayer mania   slayer mania Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:44 am

Witchfinder wrote:

I would stay far away from Diabolus.  It's their worst album and features many nu metal influences.  The band even tries to distance themselves from it.  I believe Kerry King describes it as their "Turbo."

^ Ignore that. Damn good record, almost all Jeff Hanneman compositions, you can even hear Tom's bass for once. Keep an open mind and you just might like it.

Comparing it to Turbo? LAUGHABLE.

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

slayer mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: slayer mania   slayer mania Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:46 am

S.D. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

I would stay far away from Diabolus.  It's their worst album and features many nu metal influences.  The band even tries to distance themselves from it.  I believe Kerry King describes it as their "Turbo."

^ Ignore that.  Damn good record, almost all Jeff Hanneman compositions, you can even hear Tom's bass for once.  Keep an open mind and you just might like it.  

Comparing it to Turbo?  LAUGHABLE.  

Take it up with Kerry.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

slayer mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: slayer mania   slayer mania Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:47 am

Witchfinder wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

^ Ignore that.  Damn good record, almost all Jeff Hanneman compositions, you can even hear Tom's bass for once.  Keep an open mind and you just might like it.  

Comparing it to Turbo?  LAUGHABLE.  

Take it up with Kerry.  

Oh, it wouldn't be the first ridiculous thing Kerry has said.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

slayer mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: slayer mania   slayer mania Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:47 am

F*ck Kerry, he's a douchebag anyway.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

slayer mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: slayer mania   slayer mania Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:49 am

S.D. wrote:
F*ck Kerry, he's a douchebag anyway.  

Ha! Now that we can agree on!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28455

slayer mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: slayer mania   slayer mania Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 10:35 pm

Get the Haunting the Chapel EP.

For a taste of live Slayer, get Decade of Aggression.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

slayer mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: slayer mania   slayer mania Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

slayer mania
Page 1 of 1