Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you still buy Cd's?

Go down 
+18
QuothTheRaven
exact33
thejokeriv
Leatherface
Citanul
Fat Freddy
mikeinfla
Troublezone
manny
Witchfinder
bass63
tohostudios
Dark Horseman
jettafiend
Boris2008
Lari
MetalRob331
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Do you still buy Cd's? Empty
PostSubject: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 8:07 pm

I just had this huge discussion with a friend about purchasing albums from our favorite bands. In this day of age it seems digital is the way to go and my point was basically. If I want to hear an album, I will go check it out on youtube or some other sources like Spotify and if I like it just make a playlist from there.

Spotify allows me to listen to any song I want from any album available on there and that to me is more perfect than buying an album for maybe 1 or 2 songs I enjoy.

My friend gave the point that it's about supporting the band and I get that but there is just wayyyyyyy too much music to be supporting, so I go with the digital way..

Your thoughts and opinions...
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 8:13 pm

These threads seem to pop up every few weeks.

Yes, I buy CD's. The best way I know of to "own" an album. I like CDs. It's nice to have a collection that is yours and yours only. Listening is only half the fun. You choose what gets in.

There's also the fact that if you invest severe money into an audio system, you don't want compressed music or streaming sub-par files.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 8:26 pm

If I can get vinyl + download (which seems to be the case with a lot of vinyl releases these days) I do that. If not, I'll get the CD
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 8:28 pm

Lari wrote:

There's also the fact that if you invest severe money into an audio system, you don't want compressed music or streaming sub-par files.

You don't have to use sub par files (or compressed ones for that matter) most downloads let you choose whatever file type you want.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 8:37 pm

I don't think I will be buying music once they stop selling physical copies of albums.

I guess it's worrisome that these threads pop up more regularly as the years go by.

Anyway, and this is going to be beside the point, so feel free to skip, but the thing I've been thinking about a lot ever since I first started listening to music online, ie. whatever I find on youtube/spotify/etc or friends' recommendations they've linked to me, is that a lot of times it's the decision to purchase the CD that makes or breaks if I like a band or not. After hearing a few random songs, I may end up buying the CD and then I listen to it intensely and come back to it several times. Even if I don't like it as much at first, I always give it more chances and usually end up liking it more because of it.

Sometimes I wonder if those bands I give the thumbs down on would actually also be able to make their way through to my list of favourites. If I just one day ended up buying one of their records...

It's a big thing to me. Band "X" that I heard some songs from, but did not even bother buying a single release from, cannot be among my favourites. But I can easily justify to myself that Machine Men are an awesome band that I like a lot because I own all their albums.

I personally believe it's a f*cking huge honour for a band to have an album on Lari's shelf. Better than the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, for sure. Everytime someone visits, they see that I like Saxon a lot. And if you are visiting my house, there's a good chance you put some value into what I think.

Unless you're breaking into my house, or maybe sleeping with my wife while I'm away. Why would you do that?! Asshole! What did I ever do to you? Think of the children.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 8:46 pm

I used to have over 500 physical cd's when I bought a ton every week when I was younger but now I just use these music libraries to listen. It's a lot easier to find new music that way for me and I can just randomize it. There are very few albums out there that I like every song off of..
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 8:53 pm

Yes, absolutely I buy Cd's. I went through the digital phase and I still want a physical product to hold and look at and read.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 8:58 pm

jettafiend wrote:
Yes, absolutely I buy Cd's. I went through the digital phase and I still want a physical product to hold and look at and read.

I think that's another thing that I don't bother with, is reading the booklets. I just wanna hear the music. I used to be all into that but now I just DGAF anymore...
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 9:05 pm

Depends. On some I only want the music but some I want the whole package.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 9:12 pm

I was a CD-only guy for the longest time but pricing has finally forced me into the digital world.  I just can't justify spending about $10 + now 3.99 shipping for a used/new CD from Amazon Zshops when I can download the thing for $8.99 and have it right away.  Plus since I do 99% of my listening in my car, I don't really care about audiophile quality so I've drifted more and more into legal downloads of albums I want.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39565

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 9:12 pm

I'm stuck in the past. I still buy cds exclusively. I have no desire whatsoever to do downloads until it becomes the only option available.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 9:44 pm

Lari wrote:
These threads seem to pop up every few weeks.

Yes, I buy CD's. The best way I know of to "own" an album. I like CDs. It's nice to have a collection that is yours and yours only. Listening is only half the fun. You choose what gets in.

Ditto
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 9:45 pm

I buy cds and vinyl. Until the major retailers - itunes/amazon - move to lossless files, I won't be buying downloads. I am not satisfied with a crappy 256k mp3. Frankly I doubt I will ever stop buying physical product.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 9:45 pm

Ultimately, the ideal for me would be vinyl with a lossless download.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 9:52 pm

I love CD's and I will keep buying them til they stop making them. I love looking at my wall filled with music, and I am dinosaur that is what I like.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 10:42 pm

I will always buy CDs. I like artwork and lyrics. If I preview an album online before I buy it, it helps eliminate the risk of getting a dud.

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 10:43 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Ultimately, the ideal for me would be vinyl with a lossless download.

Yep.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 11:35 pm

So far over the last year I buy cd's only when something catches my eye on the bargain bin. The last full price I paid was for the new Van Halen. Since then strictly VINYL or iTunes. Still need to get the new Hendrix and may have to get it on cd from Target to get the bonus Capt. Coconut tune.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 12:21 am

Hell yes I still buy CDs!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 3:32 am

Even though I end up listening to most of my music on my computer/iPod, pretty much all my music purchases are CDs. The only I'll buy something as a download is if it's out of print and the CDs are going for astronomical prices or the rare occasion that it's something I really want but just isn't available as a physical CD release (and I can only think of two such instances out of close to 1000).

If I have a CD I feel a much greater sense of ownership, and having the artwork and booklet does seem to add something to the listening experience even though I don't look at those very often. Just knowing that I have them does something for me.

In addition, if I ever lose my iPod or my hard drive crashes then I won't lose my entire music collection. Although I do have everything backed up in more than one location, so that's perhaps not so strong an argument in favour of having the CDs (and it would been a monumental effort to re-rip everything).

Of course, the downside to buying CDs is finding somewhere to store them all. I'm running a little short of space at the moment.

And I do have a number of albums that have been made available as free legal downloads, but that's because I'm not so desperate to have CDs that I'll overlook the fact that I'm not paying for it. Smile 
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18924

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 5:02 am

I still buy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 8:08 am

Yep, still buy CD's..... some things I will buy via DL... HDTracks is great place to buy online, can't beat the quality!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 8:46 pm

i still buy but not nearly as much as i used to.

QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 10:50 pm

I still buy physical product. I have downloaded things that are not available any other way or through Amazon's AutoRip offerings (free DL after purchasing the album). Like others have mentioned, I want to be able to hold the album and read the liner notes and lyrics. Guess I'm old...Do you still buy Cd's? 387733 Hey!! Git off my lawn!!! *mumbles* damn kids....
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 10:58 pm

Long story short: I sold my CD's in my early 20's for the same damn reason Scott (ultmetal) did, and then recovered from fundie blindness and discovered Napster, pirated music for about ten years, had an ipod full of shit, and one day noticed I wasn't really listening to music, so I started buying CD's again. What I first noticed is that I had made a sound investment in the product which was so tangible in my hands--first CD was Accept's Stalingrad--that I had to listen to it first to last with earnest ears. The music came alive because of this, and I started "investing" in more and more albums, rebuilding my own collection and adding more. Digital can be an underwhelming purchase...so quick, with no tangibles to heighten the experience...but buying CD's, vinyl, what have you, gives you this visual library to fully compliment the audible experience. Now all I do is purchase CD's with very few exceptions.

And YES, vinyl with lossless would indeed be ideal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you still buy Cd's?   Do you still buy Cd's? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you still buy Cd's?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Of Unsound Mind-
Jump to: