Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Old OVERKILL anyone?

Go down 
+6
Required Fields
ultmetal
GrandNational
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
TrogDawn
10 posters
AuthorMessage
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

Old OVERKILL anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 7:24 pm

This is a spin-off from Arttie's thread.

No, I'm not talking about OVERKILL NYC, I'm talking about OVERKILL L.A. I've mentioned them before here at HoM, but nobody has commented on them.

So, any fans of the other OVERKILL band? They were kind of a hardcore punk/metal crossover band on the SST label with bands like BLACK FLAG, SAINT VITUS, etc.

Come on Uncle Sax! Surely YOU know these guys?!

Old OVERKILL anyone? 215550
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 7:36 pm

Is this the band that released "Triumph of Will" ?

I've seen the album around (skull and bones on the cover I think) but I never took a chance on it, Have they released anything else other than that album ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 7:55 pm

They were on a compilation called Program:Annihilator.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Copyright infringement? surprised
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 9:34 pm

Locky wrote:
Is this the band that released "Triumph of Will" ? I've seen the album around (skull and bones on the cover I think) but I never took a chance on it
Um, yeah...didn't you see the pic of the cover I posted above? surprised

If you don't have an appreciation for punk as well as metal, you might not like it. Personally, I think it's great. Raw and gritty stuff! 🤘

Locky wrote:
Have they released anything else other than that album ?
They had released a previous 4 song EP called Hell's Getting Hotter but it had more of a straight punk flavor with less metal influence to it. Here's the cover:

Old OVERKILL anyone? 48807dn3

spectrefate wrote:
They were on a compilation called Program:Annihilator.
Yep, and also another SST comp called The Blasting Concept

troublezone wrote:
Copyright infringement? surprised
Possibly. They re-released their Triumph of the Will album a few years later and the band name was changed to OVERKILL L.A.

Old OVERKILL anyone? D92215q203q
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Never heard the "other" Overkill but I've seen this album in the past. A;ways thought about picking it up for the novelty value but never got round to it.

If memory serves, there's a special "F**k Off" dedication to "bands trying to steal our name" in the liner notes of Overkill's FEEL THE FIRE, obviously directed at these guys. :)

There was also another Slayer making the rounds back then who
eventually released their album under the name "S.A. Slayer" (I believe
the "S.A." meant "San Antonio" or "San Andreas" but I can't remember
which)
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 1:07 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
If memory serves, there's a special "F**k Off" dedication to "bands trying to steal our name" in the liner notes of Overkill's FEEL THE FIRE, obviously directed at these guys. Smile
Kinda funny since they basically "stole" the name from Motorhead. Rolling Eyes
I doubt the L.A. Overkill were trying to steal the name though, especially since they had material out with that name before the NYC band did. The first Overkill NYC demo (Power in Black) came out in 1983, but the Hell's Getting Hotter EP by the L.A. Overkill came out in 1982. AND, there was an even earlier UK band called Overkill that had a single and a demo out in 1981! So, maybe they were referring to the German Overkill who missed the boat and put their demo out in 1984, the year after the NYC Overkill stole the name from the L.A. and UK bands! Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 8:49 am

TrogDawn wrote:
Locky wrote:
Is this the band that released "Triumph of Will" ? I've seen the album around (skull and bones on the cover I think) but I never took a chance on it
Um, yeah...didn't you see the pic of the cover I posted above? surprised

Well I read your first post and nope I saw NO cover. I did see said cover posted below your reply, but yes that's the one i'm on about thanks.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 12:36 pm

Locky wrote:
Well I read your first post and nope I saw NO cover. I did see said cover posted below your reply, but yes that's the one i'm on about thanks.
Oh, I did post the cover in my first post above, can you still not see it? scratch

That's weird. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a smartass - I didn't realize you couldn't see the pic. Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 12:44 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
Locky wrote:
Oh, I did post the cover in my first post above, can you still not see it? scratch

That's weird. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a smartass - I didn't realize you couldn't see the pic. Embarassed

YES YOU WERE, and so was I, I even left the page open for 5minutes thinking that the feckin' picture would come up but nooooo (I though it was the Dial Up connection) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 12:48 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
If memory serves, there's a special "F**k Off" dedication to "bands trying to steal our name" in the liner notes of Overkill's FEEL THE FIRE, obviously directed at these guys. Smile
I doubt the L.A. Overkill were trying to steal the name though, especially since they had material out with that name before the NYC band did. The first Overkill NYC demo (Power in Black) came out in 1983, but the Hell's Getting Hotter EP by the L.A. Overkill came out in 1982. AND, there was an even earlier UK band called Overkill that had a single and a demo out in 1981! So, maybe they were referring to the German Overkill who missed the boat and put their demo out in 1984, the year after the NYC Overkill stole the name from the L.A. and UK bands! Laughing

Trog, you are such a historian. Unlike other boards, we actually learn here 🐰
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 2:15 pm

GrandNational wrote:
TrogDawn wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Nah, I'm not that special - I just know how to reasearch info I'm looking for online! lol!
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 2:16 pm

Locky wrote:
YES YOU WERE
Yeah, you're right - I was being a total smartass. lol!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 2:56 pm

I guess that's better than being a dumbass.

Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 7:10 pm

Old OVERKILL anyone? Tee_dumbass-2T scratch
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28438

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 6:48 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Never heard the "other" Overkill but I've seen this album in the past. A;ways thought about picking it up for the novelty value but never got round to it.

If memory serves, there's a special "F**k Off" dedication to "bands trying to steal our name" in the liner notes of Overkill's FEEL THE FIRE, obviously directed at these guys. :)

which)

Wasn't there an NWOBHM band called Slayer as well? I vaguely recall that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 10:25 pm

GrandNational wrote:
TrogDawn wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Professor Troggy:lol:
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 9:43 am

Required Fields wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

which)

Yup, there was... in fact there was a story about the NWOBHM "Slayer" on Blabbermouth just a couple of days ago, apparently they're releasing a bunch of their singles/demo material on CD soon. When the "other" Slayer got signed and started making waves the NWOBHM band changed their name to "Dragonslayer" to avoid confusion, so that's the name that will be on the CD.

Ya can read all about it (and check out the hilariously cheezy cover art) here:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=104302

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 10:16 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Required Fields wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

which)

Yup, there was... in fact there was a story about the NWOBHM "Slayer" on Blabbermouth just a couple of days ago, apparently they're releasing a bunch of their singles/demo material on CD soon. When the "other" Slayer got signed and started making waves the NWOBHM band changed their name to "Dragonslayer" to avoid confusion, so that's the name that will be on the CD.

Ya can read all about it (and check out the hilariously cheezy cover art) here:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=104302

that cover art Laughing very hard Laughing very hard

and S.A. slayer you were refering to were a band that released one CD "go for the throat"

info here : http://www.ronjarzombek.com/saslayer.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28438

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 12:25 pm

S.A. Slayer also had an EP titled Prepare to Die.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 7:04 pm

Never heard-TJ
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 8:24 pm

I have "Triumph Of The Will" always thought it was pretty good little album, never heard their other material though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 9:51 pm

I remember getting a cassette sampler from S.S.T. once in the mail and it had some Overkill songs on it. Don't remember a blessed thing about it...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 9:54 pm

For the curious...

http://devildick.blogspot.com/2008/07/overkill-sst-008-1982-7-inch.html
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 9:56 am

detuned wrote:
I remember getting a cassette sampler from S.S.T. once in the mail and it had some Overkill songs on it. Don't remember a blessed thing about it...

They were also on Metal Massacre II with the song "No Holds Barred" which was how I originally heard them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old OVERKILL anyone?   Old OVERKILL anyone? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old OVERKILL anyone?
Page 1 of 1