Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners

Go down 
+19
jstate
Gilbert
mc666
Temple of Blood
Boris2008
Shawn Of Fire
MoonChild
kyleblack
metalheaded
MetalGuy71
Vexer6
DevZor
manny
Orion Crystal Ice
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
corplhicks
SpectreFate
ultmetal
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Empty
PostSubject: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Quote :
2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners! The Best in Heavy Metal!

• “Album of the Year” (presented by Orange Amplification): Deftones, "Koi No Yokan"
• “Best Guitarist” (presented by Epiphone): John 5, of Rob Zombie
• “Best Drummer” (presented by Drum Workshop): Arejay Hale, of Halestorm
• “Paul Gray Best Bassist” (presented by Dean Markley): Lemmy Kilmister, of Motörhead
• “Best Vocalist” (presented by Rockstar Energy Drink): Corey Taylor, of Slipknot and Stone Sour
• “Song of the Year” (presented by Affliction): Black Veil Brides, "In The End"
• “Best Live Band” (presented by Samson): Slipknot
• “Best New Talent” (presented by Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival): Device
• “Most Metal Athlete” (presented by Roadrunner Records): Triple H
• “Comeback of the Year” (presented by Eagle Rock): Tenacious D
• “Most Dedicated Fans” (presented by Xbox LIVE): HIM

I don't really care about these awards shows. I didn't watch this one and didn't even know it happened until someone sent me this list on Facebook today. I read through it and read the comment "The Best in Heavy Metal". Is this list serious? This is what fans of heavy metal like now? Tenacious D won an award for "Comback of the Year"? Maybe Spinal Tap should have won the award for Godfathers of Heavy Metal. Halestorm's drummer as best drummer? Corey Taylor as best vocalist? I guess I am old and out of the loop because I consider most of this stuff to be crap and don't even consider a lot of it to be heavy metal.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Quote :
I guess I am old and out of the loop because I consider most of this stuff to be crap and don't even consider a lot of it to be heavy metal.

This describes me as well.

The world has moved on without me.....and I'm totally OK with it.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 1:19 pm

That last line about HIM was depressing.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 1:22 pm

I had it on, but feel asleep and missed most of it....... with that list of "winners" I'm glad I fell asleep!

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 1:26 pm

Quote :

Wut dis guy sez, right here.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 1:42 pm

Wow, mostly Mayhem fest type stuff which are at the top of the charts. I totally didn't see it coming.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 1:43 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
I guess I am old and out of the loop because I consider most of this stuff to be crap and don't even consider a lot of it to be heavy metal.

This describes me as well.

That's me also
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 1:48 pm

At least Lemmy's in there.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 1:55 pm

Even considering bands "iin the loop" this is still a pretty piss poor list (with the exception of Lenny) . There are tons of modern acts and artists that blow this list out of the water. But it's not about music, its about image. I'm willing to bet that even in revolvers own review section non of these bands or artist's albums even cracked 3 1/2 stars.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 1:58 pm

corplhicks wrote:
At least Lemmy's in there.

Indeed. 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners 604261

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 2:18 pm

I like Halestorm and Slipknot, but I wouldn't call them the "best"
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 2:26 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
I like Halestorm and Slipknot, but I wouldn't call them the "best"

My point. I like Halestorm, but what on the Halestorm albums would make anyone think that the drummer is anything but average? I don't hear any Peart/Kirkpatrick intricacies. I don't hear any of the sheer speed or adrenaline of a Gene Hoglan.

I guess it is as I saw someone post on Facebook. Many young fans don't know heavy metal outside of what is in the bins at WalMart and Target.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 2:34 pm

DevZor wrote:
Even considering bands "iin the loop" this is still a pretty piss poor list (with the exception of Lenny) . There are tons of modern acts and artists that blow this list out of the water. But it's not about music, its about image. I'm willing to bet that even in revolvers own review section non of these bands or artist's albums even cracked 3 1/2 stars.

The winners are based on who actually agrees to show up for the presentation.

Revolver Magazine: "We're putting on a show where you'll get tons of free stuff from sponsors, open bar and hot chicks in attendance. All you have to do is show up and we'll take care of the rest. And we'll give you some bulls*it trophy for 'Best ____ in Metal'. Can you make it?"

Random "Metal" Performer: "Sure. I'll be there"

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 2:54 pm

That list is pathetic. Typical trendy list of hard music bands that are mostly indeed Walmart/Target/Hot Topic kinds of bands. I know I'm old-school, but that isn't why I think it's pathetic. There are TONS of much better, actual metal bands that are not from 1988 that should be on that list, instead. This is just another list of winners that reflects the trends and not the actual talent and/or merit of bands and their respective genres.
Back to top Go down
kyleblack
Metal student
Metal student
kyleblack

Number of posts : 159

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 2:56 pm

Slipknot haven't released an album in five years, have an award named after a deceased member and still "win" multiple themselves. The amount of bands that fit Revolver's criteria is small these days. Next year I suspect Black Sabbath will get several awards and Ghost will probably get "Best New Talent".
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Here's your SONG OF THE YEAR! Enjoy!

Sleep

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 3:10 pm

I actually do like that song, but there were much better songs to choose from.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 3:15 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Here's your SONG OF THE YEAR! Enjoy!

Sleep

Sorry, that's pop music. Contrived, paint by the numbers, "we're in it for the money" schlock.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 3:44 pm

I agree it's not heavy metal, but I sure as hell wouldn't call it "pop music" either, they're earlier music was "post-hardcore" and "Melodic metal-core", now they're hard rock.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
I agree it's not heavy metal, but I sure as hell wouldn't call it "pop music" either, they're earlier music was "post-hardcore" and "Melodic metal-core", now they're hard rock.

Nah, that is a pop song with some heavy sounding guitar. Nothing more.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 3:51 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

Well when I think of pop music, I think of stuff like Justin Bieber, Katy, Perry, or Britney Spears. Black Veil Brides don't even sound remotely like pop music to me, I guess people today have a very different definition of "pop music".
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 3:55 pm

Take away the "I'm a pretty boy, but rough on the edges" image and the guitars playing power chords and play that song on a piano or another instrument. It is structured exactly like a generic pop song.....because it is one.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 3:56 pm

The thing is if you take away the guitars and replace the vocals with Bieber/Perry/Spears...well, there you go.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 3:56 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

That track doesn't sound any heavier than this one to me, and this one is 100% considered pop:

Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 3:58 pm

Eh, i'm just not seeing the resemblance to "pop" at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next