Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

David Bowie : The Next Day

Go down 
+2
tohostudios
Addy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

David Bowie : The Next Day Empty
PostSubject: David Bowie : The Next Day   David Bowie : The Next Day Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 4:34 pm

I think before I go into my opinions and thoughts about the newest album by David Bowie that I should go into the background of it. I have been a fan of David Bowie for a very long time. I remember when I was in third grade I would remember hearing on vinyl this reading of Peter & The Wolf with some classical music in the background. Little did I know then that this was David Bowie. I had been into his stuff as long as I can remember but I dont think my love for his music didn’t really spike until the late 90s. Since then I have been a huge fan of all things David Bowie. I mean come on, my dog’s name is Bowie Stardust, If that’s not obvious then I don’t know what to tell you. There has been so many eras where David Bowie has offered up music. I personally tend to lean more towards the works from the 70s my favorite Bowie albums are “The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars”, “Diamond Dogs” and “Low” when I say these are my favorites that means I dont think there is a weak song on any of those albums that Id give them 10/10. I think the most recent album David Bowie has released that I have enjoyed was “Hours” which was released in 1999. Outside of that nothing since. “The Next Day” was a big surprise I think because he had recorded it secretly, On his Birthday he had released the first single and then announced that there would be a new album. I personally have been waiting for years for a new offering by David Bowie.

The Next day, from the things I had read prior to it’s release was that it was going to be a Rock album that all the songs minus one were going to be rockers. I have to say I agree, the entire album sounds very upbeat and peppy good ole fashion rock. With the exception of the song “Where Are We Now?” which was the first single released. and maybe “Heat” as well. Some random thoughts that have gone through my head when listening to this album. “How Does The Grass Grow?” – Retro 80s meets 2013, maybe its the beginning of this song but when I first heard this song I thought “Retro 80s meets 2013″. “Heat” sounds very poetic to me, very Bowie-esque. The second single that was released shortly before the entire album “The Stars (are out tonight)” would be one of my 3 top favorites on this album. To some it might be the strongest track on the album but for me there is not a single filler song on this album. I would put it in my favorite Bowie Albums collection. (The aforementioned favorite bowie albums) Collectively I think that “The Next Day” is a strong album maybe Bowie is telling us that he is back. Time will tell. I can say that this album is my #1 favorite for the 2000s era Bowie. I give it a 10/10. The only problem I had was the album cover choice. They literally took the cover from “Heros” and but a white box in front of David Bowie’s face and in that box has the album title. I remember reading it was supposed to be symbolic but I would have hoped for a cooler album cover. I had bought the deluxe version which came with 3 bonus tracks “So She”, “Plan”, “I’ll Take You There” . “Plan”in my opinion is a very sexy instrumental. Almost like the beginnings of a real rocker. Bowie does put out some awesome instrumentals. The Japan release has one bonus track “God Bless The Girl”. I wish I could buy this track on Itunes ah well… I should mention that this album is all originals no covers no reworking of old material. With this release I ask myself is there going to be a Tour? Only the man himself knows that for sure. Some say yes, some say No, some say they wouldn’t be surprised. I don’t know if I want a David Bowie Tour but I would like to see him live. A Definite must for any fan of David Bowie take it from a David Bowie Fan Smile
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie : The Next Day   David Bowie : The Next Day Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 4:45 pm

Thanks for the review.
I'm always real hesitant to buy a Bowie album; I generally find that the various Best Ofs and Greatest Hits compilations I have are enough. But this new one sounds interesting; I'll have to check it out.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie : The Next Day   David Bowie : The Next Day Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 5:32 pm

Very cool. I plan on grabbing it at some point
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie : The Next Day   David Bowie : The Next Day Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 5:35 pm

I had the deluxe version in my hand tonight when I went to Target but then I ended up putting it back. Not because I didn't want it but because I was waiting for some gift cards instead of using my cash. I'll get it eventually.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie : The Next Day   David Bowie : The Next Day Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 7:21 pm

I got my copy from Amazon which included a mp3 version of the album as well as a physical copy Im glad cuz I slapped the mp3 version on my iphone and its pretty much all ive been listening to

Id venture and say its his best in at least 13 years. If you got Itunes Id go and listen to the samples
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie : The Next Day   David Bowie : The Next Day Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 11:55 am

Quote :
The only problem I had was the album cover choice. They literally took the cover from “Heros” and but a white box in front of David Bowie’s face and in that box has the album title. I remember reading it was supposed to be symbolic but I would have hoped for a cooler album cover.

I thought that was a really weird thing to do. I thought maybe it had some connection to the Heros album, like a part 2 or something.

So is he being artsy and symbolic or cheap? Razz

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie : The Next Day   David Bowie : The Next Day Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 1:49 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
The only problem I had was the album cover choice. They literally took the cover from “Heros” and but a white box in front of David Bowie’s face and in that box has the album title. I remember reading it was supposed to be symbolic but I would have hoped for a cooler album cover.

I thought that was a really weird thing to do. I thought maybe it had some connection to the Heros album, like a part 2 or something.

So is he being artsy and symbolic or cheap? Razz

Artsy and cheap!
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie : The Next Day   David Bowie : The Next Day Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 2:23 pm

I cannot remember to be honest

still a great ablum though
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie : The Next Day   David Bowie : The Next Day Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 8:51 am

I heard the whole album in a little records store I frequent. I'm not too hip on what Bowie has been doing since Never Let Me Down, but this sounded really good and in the Heroes vein. At one point, I thought that I was something from this time period.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie : The Next Day   David Bowie : The Next Day Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 4:10 am

I think this is my favorite bowie album since Hours (99) but Never Let Me down was a good album though a flop commercially I think.

Im still listening and loving this new release
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie : The Next Day   David Bowie : The Next Day Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

David Bowie : The Next Day
Page 1 of 1