Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)

Go down 
+2
jettafiend
Chairman_Smith
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Empty
PostSubject: My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)    My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 3:16 pm

The Victim!

My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  IMAG0293

So i've had this Peavey Predator for a few years. A coworker of mine gave it to me for working a shift for him. It's been upgraded in and out several times, used on some of my band's recordings, ect. The original owner must of smoked, because it yellowed quite a bit. I was gonna make it white with a white pickguard, so I attempted to sand out the yellow. It was going well, but the finish was much thinner than I expected and I went down into the wood.

So enter this concept.

My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Concept_zpsf340007f

So heres the one picture i got of the sanding. Unfortunatley my phone didn't save the 3 I got of it sanded down, the guitar features a poplar body with a alder veneer. I'm unsure what the purpose of the veener is, as far as i know, these were all painted solid, and with the contour the poplar was showing thus making it impossible to make transparent. Does a thin veneer affect the sound?

Anyway: The one picture of my sanding

My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Sanding_zps0c39e935

And heres coat one!

My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Predator1_zps5bb817c6

My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Predator2_zpsd72ab88f

My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Predator3_zps374a5e6a

My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Predator4_zps10e5b8eb

Some mockups with parts I have laying around (I may just use this guard instead of shelling our for Pearl.)

My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  IMAG0434_zps822f0e74

My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  IMAG0435_zpsbe28ca67
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)    My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm

Very Nice!! Looks great. Did you update the electraonics or change out the pick-ups at all?

I am rebuilding a fender P-Bass myself, but I looking for a black pick guard to finish it. I ended up going with some Seymour Duncan Quarterpounds because I really like the sound that Roger Waters has on his bass, and according to the reviews that I have read, they are fairly versatile as well.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)    My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 3:38 pm

jettafiend wrote:
Very Nice!! Looks great. Did you update the electraonics or change out the pick-ups at all?

I am rebuilding a fender P-Bass myself, but I looking for a black pick guard to finish it. I ended up going with some Seymour Duncan Quarterpounds because I really like the sound that Roger Waters has on his bass, and according to the reviews that I have read, they are fairly versatile as well.

I've got some Fender Tex-Mex pickups on order to put in it. I was actually gonna go with the Duncan Strat QPs, but I didn't wanna blow too much cash since I just bought an SG. my Bass player actually put the QP in his First Act and those things sound awesome on bass.

Hopefully gonna get the second coat and the burst started next week.

Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)    My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 3:45 pm

Nice!! I have everything done on mine except wet sanding the clear and assembly. I just haven't found a black pickguard at the right price.

I had to buy new pots and wiring as well cuz my brother had monkeyed it pretty badly before I rescued it.

I personally prefer the Peavey stuff over Fender. I have an '84 Peavey Patriot bass that I love and it still has the super ferrite fat single-coil and plays beautifully, just ugly as sin.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)    My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 4:27 pm

I got a pickguard for one of my guitars off this site. They're decent.

http://www.dragonfireguitars.com/index.php?cPath=34_88
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)    My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 6:07 pm

Awesome, thank you!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)    My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Looks great!!!
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)    My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 8:28 pm

Looks great!

I just replaced the active pre-amp in my Washburn 6-string bass......I'm not the greatest with a soldering iron but it works so I must have done an ok job...

My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  30232110
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)    My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Burst!

My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  IMAG0444_zpsd1c1159a

My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  IMAG0445_zps8aa7d845

My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  IMAG0447_zps2e8ad07a

My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  IMAG0446_zps3c563069
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)    My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 4:09 pm

I dig seeing pics like these. Reminds me of being back in dyas of first playing in bands and dudes were "tuning up" kick down guitars and pawn shop scores.

good job on the Predator !

The Washburn 6 string looks kewl too

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)    My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 4:24 pm

Looks good. I have a Predator (was my first guitar). The thing weighs a ton but I have a soft spot for it. You've given me some good ideas.......
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)    My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 4:29 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
You've given me some good ideas.......

maybe paint it "Deep Purple"

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)    My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 11:20 am

Shiny!!!!

My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  IMAG0454_zpsc48cd575

My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  IMAG0455_zps05cba7e7
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)    My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 11:21 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Looks good. I have a Predator (was my first guitar). The thing weighs a ton but I have a soft spot for it. You've given me some good ideas.......

I'm surprised how much they weigh. Alot more than my MIM Strat. Hell it almost completes with my Les Pauls lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)    My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Peavey Predator Refinish project (Greenburst goodiness!)
Page 1 of 1