Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be?

Go down 
+25
EmoElmo
DallasBlack
brokentulsa
bgsully
jettafiend
David Panzer
T-Roy
Gryphon-kl
Stender
stepcousin
80s Metal Lady
ZombieHavoc
ultmetal
SpectreFate
Chairman_Smith
Boris2008
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Fat Freddy
James B.
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
Addy
kmorg
Witchfinder
SAHB Healer
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be?   If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Stay away from "metal message boards". They will waste your time and cost you money.

Damn straight. I started on this board with less than a thousand CDs and have since gone quite a bit over that. I'd also tell myself to never sell my CDs until I get a computer that could store them and to back them up twice (or to stay away from certain external hard drives **cough, Iomega**).

As for bands? there are countless ones I would tell myself about. However, one thing I would most definitely do would tell myself that after getting into Running Wild, I should complete a discography before they go out of print and prices skyrocket.

*leans back leisurely and fondly thinks of the wall of RW and Rage reissues in the bookcase at home* Cool

Why ya rubbing it in? What did I ever do to you? No
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be?   If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 6:44 pm

Don't feel too bad Dallas, I recently found a early Running Wild disc at Amoeba but since those pirate themed titles confuse me I thought I might already have it. Put it back, discovered I didn't have it, went back, and it was long gone. And yeah the next question would be why didn't I stash it. Wish I could go back in time for that one.

I'd also like to go back and tell myself to buy several music shirts I've worn to threads over the years. There are too many I still wish I had. Oh, and then there is the 80's rap CDs I'd also pick up when I'm back in time.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be?   If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 8:44 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Well, when you have hundreds of CDs and very limited space, it is your only option. I was in the US Navy and would spend up to 6 months on an aircraft carrier and you only have a small amount of space to put your things in. So I could have more than just a handful of CDs for that long period of time, I put my CDs in a binder.

Times are certainly better now for people who want to clear out stuff. I even have almost every Atari game on a little SD card in a "Harmony" cartridge. Later, I'm going to consider getting a few Kindles and get rid of my books.

I don't even carry my iPod Classic anymore because I find it too cumbersome having to carry a phone + a music player ...Thank God for 64 Gig MicroSD cards
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be?   If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 11:25 am

I would've told myself to not throw away 300 metal CDs for the sake of some evangelistic crusade. What a shame, man. What a shame.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be?   If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 6:21 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I would've told myself to not throw away 300 metal CDs for the sake of some evangelistic crusade. What a shame, man. What a shame.

I've done that myself. Who were those guys, the Peters brothers? Can't even blame my mom like when she tossed my baseball cards.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be?   If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 6:51 pm

I don't remember the Peters bros, but there was a book my mom bought for me, can't remember the name, was a laundry list of rock/metal/AOR bands with detailed sketches of their amoralistic/satanic vibe. It's quite an entertaining read, actually, awesome bathroom material. Of course, everything is built on urban legend and rock lore (my favorite entry was Venom) but at fifteen years old I was pretty scared. Since I was thinking about being a good Christian (I wasn't saved until 17), I threw all my CDs and tapes in the dumpster and spread the message of the book too all who could hear.

Then I did it again when I was saved, but mostly because I was looking to be a worship pastor. Still an unnecessary and stupid move. And expensive (remember when used metal cds were a buck apiece and clubs like BMG and Columbia House were around?).
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be?   If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 7:06 pm

I would tell myself:
"Hey dimwit! Branch out! In between all your hard rock and heavy metal bands it might do your ears some good to take a break and cleanse the 'aural palate'. Listen to stuff outside of your comfort zone; give Steely Dan, Jethro Tull, Bruce Hornsby, Sonia Dada, Bruce Springsteen and even David Sanborn a shot. You might find your tastes are broader than you think."

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be?   If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 am

DallasBlack wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
DON'T SELL ALL YOUR EXTREMELY RARE ORIGINAL CD'S TO DIMPLE RECORDS JUST BECAUSE YOUR 20 SOMETHING, EXTREMELY DUMB AND HAVE BEEN AN IDIOT WITH YOUR MONEY SO YOU NEED QUICK MONEY TO KEEP THE LIGHTS ON!

And yes....NEVER buy cassettes.

DITTO!! Also... Don't trade them off cuz you are bored at the moment, hold on to them for when the mood strikes you again.

DO NOT KEEP YOU CD'S IN A NOTEBOOK, IT WILL DESTROY THEM AND THE ALBUM WILL BE OOP WHEN YOU WANT TO ORDER A REPLACEMENT!

I was in such a hurry to post, I didn't read all the way through. Now seeing your post I must holeheartedly agree! I have many CDs I would easily sell without a second thought but can't because they got so scratched up in binders. I got some to still rip to my computer, but there is a constant scratch sound in the background when I play the music.

I have a few of those, and it drives me nuts!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be?   If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 12:32 am

Found the book on Amazon: The Rock Report by Fletcher A. Brothers. Fun stuff, scared the hell out of me (Knights in Satan's Service!).
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be?   If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 12:35 am

tohostudios wrote:
I would tell myself:
"Hey dimwit! Branch out! In between all your hard rock and heavy metal bands it might do your ears some good to take a break and cleanse the 'aural palate'. Listen to stuff outside of your comfort zone; give Steely Dan, Jethro Tull, Bruce Hornsby, Sonia Dada, Bruce Springsteen and even David Sanborn a shot. You might find your tastes are broader than you think."

This! Frank Sinatra, Brian Setzer, Social Distortion, The Ramones, Classical, Even some opera too.
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be?   If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 7:22 am

Witchfinder wrote:
I would tell myself the following:

1. Don't buy cassettes, buy the vinyl and record them on blank cassettes.

2. Start buying cds in 1990.

3. Keep your vinyl!

4. Don't pay so much for those "rare" cds. All that stuff gets reissued eventually.

Exactly all those, plus keep original masters.

I didn't start buying cds until 1993. I sold all my vinyl, thinking it was history. Prior to 1993, I bought heaps of commercial recordings on cassette and wore a few out.

I sold my Pantera cds back in the '90's, bought them again in the early 2000's, traded them for other cds in the mid-2000's, ... and just this week, I've re-purchased the entire Pantera discograhy for the 3rd time!
I really need to go back in time and have a serious talk with myself. If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be? - Page 3 82702 insane
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be?   If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If You Could Go Back In Time and Give Yourself Advice (on music, What Would It Be?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3