Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary

Go down 
+18
tohostudios
Chrome Locust
chewie
stepcousin
Cliffy
QuothTheRaven
exact33
manny
Fat Freddy
theAcorn
James B.
ultmetal
kmorg
thejokeriv
Orion Crystal Ice
Shawn Of Fire
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Empty
PostSubject: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 12:14 pm

Jan 30, 2013 marks the 40th Anniversary of KISS' first gig at The Popcorn Pub in Queens, NY. The gig was originally booked under the Wicked Lester moniker but by the time the actual club date arrived they had officially changed their name to KISS.

KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Kiss73_1

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 12:38 pm

In honor of that momentious occasion, you can send Gene an officially liscensed KISS 40th anniversary e-card for only $29.99. Enter the code "F*CKPETERANDACE" to receive a .05% discount.

KISSecard

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 1:02 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
In honor of that momentious occasion, you can send Gene an officially liscensed KISS 40th anniversary e-card for only $29.99. Enter the code "F*CKPETERANDACE" to receive a .05% discount.

KISSecard

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 1:10 pm

Spurred on by this I decided to listen to the debut KISS album this morning. The songwriting was there (except for a couple clunkers) but the performances definitely weren't. Every one of those songs is infinitely better represented on Alive.

trivia: The instrumental "Love Theme From Kiss" was used in Sofia Coppola's film Somewhere (2010).
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 1:20 pm

S.D. wrote:
Spurred on by this I decided to listen to the debut KISS album this morning. The songwriting was there (except for a couple clunkers) but the performances definitely weren't. Every one of those songs is infinitely better represented on Alive.

trivia: The instrumental "Love Theme From Kiss" was used in Sofia Coppola's film Somewhere (2010).

One thing that struck me when I really paid attention to the first 4 or 5 KISS albums...the prevalent influence of The Beatles. Being a huge Beatles fan, I really noticed it when I was listening to those albums earlier in 2012 (I was grabbing the $5 remasters from Walmart). When they said they wanted to be a hard rock version of The Beatles, they weren't kidding.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 1:28 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

KISSecard

lol! Laughing very hard Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 1:51 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

KISSecard

Laughing very hard

S.D. wrote:

Agree with you - the performances are 100 times better on Alive! I didn't know that track was used in a recent film.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 2:03 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
S.D. wrote:

One thing that struck me when I really paid attention to the first 4 or 5 KISS albums...the prevalent influence of The Beatles. Being a huge Beatles fan, I really noticed it when I was listening to those albums earlier in 2012 (I was grabbing the $5 remasters from Walmart). When they said they wanted to be a hard rock version of The Beatles, they weren't kidding.

Especially Gene's songs, and he still does iton Monster. His solo stuff is full of Beatles-influences as well.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 2:08 pm

Had to run to Best Buy earlier and they had a box set on display for $20 called 5 Classic KISS albums and it included:

KISS, Dressed To Kill, Destroyer, Rock & Roll Over..

AND

Millennium Collection - 20th Century Masters, which I don't even consider a KISS album much less a "Classic" KISS album
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 4:45 pm

Loose performances is part of the charm of rock and roll.

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 5:10 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Loose performances is part of the charm of rock and roll.

Well, the performances on Alive aren't "perfect" either, but they are WAY more energetic and much better recorded than the stiff studio albums. The first time I heard any of that material was on Alive, never did warm up to the first 3 records because they just can't even come close to capturing the power that Eddie Kramer harnessed (whether live or not) on Alive!

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12622

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 8:35 pm

The demos for the 1rst KISS lp (Produced By Eddie Kramer) that are on Disc One of the box set sound ALOT better than what appeared on the actual debut. IMHO They have more swagger, attitude and crunch. The lil variances in the arrangements give the songs way more character.

Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 4

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 9:42 am

Another thing about early Kiss is that Gene was a really good bass player at that point. I don't know that he ever got much better, but some of the bass lines are really pretty good.

As for the Beatles influence, it was there, but they didn't copy them, but you could hear it if you listened... They did it while maintaining their originality, I guess is what I am trying to say...

As good as the Kramer demos are, I like the Bell Studios Demos even more...
Back to top Go down
http://moonfire.net/fireboard2
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37646

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 9:45 am

The first KISS record is one of those albums ya just can't throw sh*t at. It's raw 'n' clunky and a little klutzy in spots but I still think it holds up well today.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 9:54 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Its funny as a kid I never noticed that til I got older, also recently noticed that the boys seemed to have been heavily influenced by Slade, maybe I am wrong, but I can hear Slade in spots in some of the tunes.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 4:57 pm

To my ears the most Beatle-esque KISS tunes are "Let Me Know", "Great Expectations". "Comin Home" and half of Dressed To Kill.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 9:21 pm

S.D. wrote:
Jan 30, 2013 marks the 40th Anniversary of KISS' first gig at The Popcorn Pub in Queens, NY. The gig was originally booked under the Wicked Lester moniker but by the time the actual club date arrived they had officially changed their name to KISS.

I think you owe Gene $10 for this post Smile

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 11:34 am

exact33 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I think you owe Gene $10 for this post Smile

The flyers I've seen and old 70's magazine interviews refered to the place as The Coventry ?

Just did a lil research and they changed the name with the new year (1973)

Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 1:59 pm

Happy Anniversary, KISS! Like many of you, they (along with my older brother's Aerosmith "Get Your Wings") were my introduction to all things metal. "Love Gun" was my first album of theirs and I played the grooves off of that LP! I still think "Shock Me" is one of the best guitar songs ever, though it may be nostalgia...
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 5:43 am

James B. wrote:
To my ears the most Beatle-esque KISS tunes are "Let Me Know", "Great Expectations". "Comin Home" and half of Dressed To Kill.

Goin' Blind is another one, imo.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 3:46 pm

kmorg wrote:
James B. wrote:

Goin' Blind is another one, imo.

yes it is, there are probably more. When I listened to Gene Simmos solo lp way back in 1978 Laughing very hard I seem to remember he wore that influence on his sleeve quite a bit.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 6:23 pm

This just sounds wrong:

KISS Popsicles To Be Released In Australia

http://www.bravewords.com/news/198311

Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Laughing very hard

The ice cream brand is Peters!
Lick. KISS. Peters. The joke almost writes itself!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 12:22 pm

Poor Ace...

Ace Frehley (nee Paul), who played guitar for KISS in the 80s and late 90s, is on the hook for $735,000 worth of missed mortgage payments on his Yorktown, N.Y. home, the The Journal News reports.

The news surfaced after his bank, U.S. Bank National Association, filed a foreclosure claim on feb. 15.

And the mortgage issue is just the beginning.

Frehley has neglected nearly two years' worth of unpaid property taxes, according to the Journal News. That includes a "2011 lien of $5,131.61 for town and county taxes, as well as $13,425.94 for unpaid 2012 county, school and town taxes."

If Frehley can't come up with the cash, chances are the bank (or the county) will wind up selling the home at auction. And from what little information we have on his case, we're willing to bet that's exactly what Frehley wants.

Frehley reportedly stopped paying on the home two years ago, just a few years after he took over the title on the 3-acre, 2,441 sq. ft. pad back in 2006. Many underwater homeowners –– those who owe more on their homes than they are actually worth –– choose to cut their losses, stop making mortgage payments and simply wait for their mortgage lender to foreclose.

In the meantime, they can start putting their resources into a smaller home or apartment they can afford.

The foreclosure process can take anywhere from under a year to more than two years to complete, so it makes sense we're only hearing of Frehley's foreclosure notice now.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 12:44 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Poor Ace...

Ace Frehley (nee Paul), who played guitar for KISS in the 80s and late 90s, is on the hook for $735,000 worth of missed mortgage payments on his Yorktown, N.Y. home, the The Journal News reports.

The news surfaced after his bank, U.S. Bank National Association, filed a foreclosure claim on feb. 15.

And the mortgage issue is just the beginning.

Frehley has neglected nearly two years' worth of unpaid property taxes, according to the Journal News. That includes a "2011 lien of $5,131.61 for town and county taxes, as well as $13,425.94 for unpaid 2012 county, school and town taxes."

If Frehley can't come up with the cash, chances are the bank (or the county) will wind up selling the home at auction. And from what little information we have on his case, we're willing to bet that's exactly what Frehley wants.

Frehley reportedly stopped paying on the home two years ago, just a few years after he took over the title on the 3-acre, 2,441 sq. ft. pad back in 2006. Many underwater homeowners –– those who owe more on their homes than they are actually worth –– choose to cut their losses, stop making mortgage payments and simply wait for their mortgage lender to foreclose.

In the meantime, they can start putting their resources into a smaller home or apartment they can afford.

The foreclosure process can take anywhere from under a year to more than two years to complete, so it makes sense we're only hearing of Frehley's foreclosure notice now.

Who is this man's accountant? He should be a millionere after those reunion tours with KISS!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next