Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4

Go down 
+4
Dark Horseman
manny
MetalGuy71
Psychotron
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4 Empty
PostSubject: Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4   Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 1:20 pm

Black Sabbath Vol. 4 was released on September 25, 1972.

Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4 9623b340dca0706d573c6010.L._AA300_

Geezer Butler calls this album "Snow Blind in L.A."

Vol. 4 was the first Black Sabbath album to be recorded outside the UK. The band rented a posh house in Bel Air for rehearsals and the parties are the stuff of legend. Vol. 4 was most definitely a cocaine album, as evidenced by the band giving a thank you credit to their dealer in the liner notes "Thanks to the great COKE cola company of Los Angeles" and by this classic song...

Vol. 4 was a transitional album, bridging the gap between the more straight-ahead thunder of Master Of Reality and the more Prog Rock direction they would take on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage. Tony Iommi was handling all the arrangements by this point and also supervising the recording sessions, his growing maturity as an artist is evident on this album. Iommi was also the most sober by this point, so he had to take control as Ozzy, Geezer and Bill were starting to spiral out of control. Despite the massive drug use the album is chock-full of classic songs...

The Iommi arranged epic "Wheels Of Confusion/The Straightener", first single "Tomorrow's Dream", the futuristic "Supernaut" with the awesome acoustic guitar/percussion breakdown in the mid-section, the aforementioned head bobbing classic "Snowblind" and Iommi's memorable acoustic number "Laguna Sunrise", book ended by one of his most evil sounding doom riffs in "Under The Sun". There is also the widely debated ballad "Changes" which seems to be either loved or despised depending on who is listening. Cornucopia and St. Vitus' Dance are still influencing stoner bands to this day.

An absolute classic album.

Back to top Go down
Psychotron
Metal student
Metal student
Psychotron

Number of posts : 167

PostSubject: Re: Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4   Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 1:33 pm

40 years! Holy moly. Love "Wheels of Confusion."
Back to top Go down
http://nicksmetal.blogspot.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4   Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 2:15 pm

40 years!? Doesn't look a day over 20.

I'm sure Nickelback albums will fare just as well over time and be considdered timeless classics. You'll see.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4   Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 2:32 pm

Just listened to this album over the weekend and this album kicks ass from beginning to end.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4   Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 2:50 pm

Thanks for making me feel old today. Great album though.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4   Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 3:05 pm

Would be a perfect album without "Changes" and "FX". Seriously, do you guys listen to "FX" when you listen to the album? Feels so pointless to me.

Even still, contender for my favorite Sabbath record, along with Master of Reality.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4   Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 3:11 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Would be a perfect album without "Changes" and "FX". Seriously, do you guys listen to "FX" when you listen to the album? Feels so pointless to me.

I vividly remember listening to FX while tripping on acid on New Years Eve many years ago, we kept backing it up and playing it over and over. What a Face

It's such a short track it doesn't really detract from anything, I don't think Supernaut sounds right without hearing FX first.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4   Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 3:50 pm

Great, classic album. One of my all time favorites.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28447

PostSubject: Re: Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4   Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 6:28 pm

Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4 ImmortalBirthday
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4   Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 6:47 pm

I love this album. It's about impossible for me to pick a favorite Sabbath album but I tend to revolve around Black Sabbath, Sabotage and Vol. 4 the most (if we're narrowing it down to the Ozzy years, of course).

As a guitarist and songwriter (I hope to have some stuff recorded by the end of this year or early next - shameless plug...) this is one of my go-to albums whenever I need a little extra boost of inspiration. Something about this one just really "clicks" with me. I don't know why precisely, but it's an album I can put on and I instantly feel like picking up a guitar and jamming. I love the subtle blending of genres and the dynamics, plus it's a transitional album from one style to the next which is fascinating in itself. Every song has its own mood about it and at first listen it seemed disjointed to me, but the more I revisited it over time the more I came to love it and without hesitation I'd say it's one of my favorites today (typical for me - I tend to have delayed responses to great albums, haha).

"Under the Sun" is easily in my top 5 favorite Sabbath songs. And "The Straightener" (the second half of "Wheels of Confusion") never fails to give me chills every time. Both of these songs are dark and beautiful. The only song I occasionally skip is "Changes" if I'm not in the right mood, but I don't have a real problem with it. Oh, and you could probably extend the main riff of "Supernaut" for an additional 30 minutes and I wouldn't get sick of it. Smile Probably the most downright fun song they ever did.

Anyway, great record. Now I feel like listening to it again. Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4   Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Happy 40th Anniversary BLACK SABBATH VOL. 4
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: