Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

*Favorite Films of 2012*

Go down 
+14
DallasBlack
BearOnUnicycle
adrian
iamrockerfun
MEGATRON
Required Fields
Wurthless
jettafiend
tohostudios
thejokeriv
manny
Fat Freddy
James B.
SpectreFate
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

*Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 3:00 pm

Stewart gets a a bad rap because of Twilight, she has put in some fine performances in independent films.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 3:11 pm

S.D. wrote:
Stewart gets a a bad rap because of Twilight, she has put in some fine performances in independent films.
To her credit, I really enjoyed Kristen in "The Runaways" as Joan Jett. She nailed all of Joan's mannerisms to a "T'".
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 4:30 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
That's Stewart, Jennifer Aniston, Drew Barrymore for me...lol! 

If you want me to see the movie right away, Jennifer Connelly, Julianne Moore, possibly Anne Hathaway.
Don't forget Natalie Portman. After slogging through a handful of crap, she truly surprised me with Black Swan.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 4:47 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

If you want me to see the movie right away, Jennifer Connelly, Julianne Moore, possibly Anne Hathaway.
Don't forget Natalie Portman. After slogging through a handful of crap, she truly surprised me with Black Swan.
That was a movie that people loved, that I absolutely hated. I suppose one of my issues was, I hate the ballet. Second, I guessed half way through the movie how it was going to end. I suppose her performance was top notch, but the movie bored me to death!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 4:56 pm

This is why I can't hate Natalie Portman:

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 5:11 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
This is why I can't hate Natalie Portman:

I've never seen that before. That was pretty damn funny lol! 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 5:43 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

That was a movie that people loved, that I absolutely hated. I suppose one of my issues was, I hate the ballet. Second, I guessed half way through the movie how it was going to end. I suppose her performance was top notch, but the movie bored me to death!
Okay, okay, you actually have valid points. It is true that the ending/epiphany (which I can't spoil here) is not only telegraphed early on, but frustratingly typical of a plethora of various psychological dramas and thrillers, big budget or indie. I was truly enjoying the film up until that point, and then I threw my hands up in the air. I mean, really Aronofsky? That's the best you could come up with?

And yes, Portman's performance was one-note. But for me it was a good note. She displayed her coming-of-age and disturbance well. And I love the ballet. All this to say I get where you're coming from. Smile
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm

corplhicks wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

Okay, okay, you actually have valid points. It is true that the ending/epiphany (which I can't spoil here) is not only telegraphed early on, but frustratingly typical of a plethora of various psychological dramas and thrillers, big budget or indie. I was truly enjoying the film up until that point, and then I threw my hands up in the air. I mean, really Aronofsky? That's the best you could come up with?

And yes, Portman's performance was one-note. But for me it was a good note. She displayed her coming-of-age and disturbance well. And I love the ballet. All this to say I get where you're coming from. Smile
I suppose the one aspect I did enjoy, was the ongoing struggle of Natalie Portman's character regarding that which was reality versus her fantasy world. My main problem is this, I like to be able to relate in some way to characters on screen, and I simply couldn't relate to any of them, plus I hated them. I really didn't care what happened to these people. Every relationship in Black Swan was dysfunctional! I like psychological thrillers, but this movie just wasn't for me. I suppose all the hype didn't help either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 1:46 pm

i loved Black Swan, saw it in the theater and thought it was mesmerizing, wasn't bored for a second.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 7:29 pm

S.D. wrote:
i loved Black Swan, saw it in the theater and thought it was mesmerizing, wasn't bored for a second.
I think one of the main problems for myself, is my utter distaste for the ballet. I understand how demanding the ballet is and I understand that there are those that find beauty in it, but it just doesn't move me. With that being said, I don't always have to enjoy a movie where its center piece is something that I don't enjoy. In this instance, it probably would've helped. I thought the performances were strong, but so were the performances in a movie like "Revolutionary Road", and I would never watch that again.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 11:07 am

I watched "To Rome With Love" yesterday, and whatever I loved about "Midnight In Paris" (which was also a Woody Allen movie), the aforementioned just didn't click with me. I understood the metaphors, as well as the in your face narrative, but it just wasn't very compelling. I didn't mind the separate vignettes and transition between those vignettes where English was used versus that of Italian and reading subtitles, but the characters were just sort of bland.

Though I enjoy an actor like Jesse Eisenberg, when is someone going to direct this young man differently? Does anyone feel the same? He seems to always play this pseudo-intellectual even when the role doesn't call for it, like "30 Minutes or Less" (where he's a pizza delivery man). I feel like his character's are in a constant state of flux, where he exhibits both that of someone with Aspberger's Syndrome and that of a social butterfly, with neurosis to boot.

I probably enjoyed the Leopoldo Pisanello role played by Roberto Benigni the most, as it was Mr. Allen's way of poking fun of the Hollywood elite, who relish stardom one minute, but then act like stardom has been also the biggest curse in their lives.

I suppose the thing I loved about "Midnight Paris" was that Woody Allen was able to turn Owen Wilson into an enjoyable leading man. I would've never thought that was possible!

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 11:12 am

S.D. wrote:
You should definitely check out Ruby Sparks, one of the most unique films I saw last year.
I grabbed this one up at the library last week, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I remember seeing this movie on the shelf months ago, due to the unique cover, thinking I might have to grab it one day. Thanks for the suggestion...
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 4:21 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:

Though I enjoy an actor like Jesse Eisenberg, when is someone going to direct this young man differently? Does anyone feel the same? He seems to always play this pseudo-intellectual even when the role doesn't call for it, like "30 Minutes or Less" (where he's a pizza delivery man). I feel like his character's are in a constant state of flux, where he exhibits both that of someone with Aspberger's Syndrome and that of a social butterfly, with neurosis to boot.

I suppose the thing I loved about "Midnight Paris" was that Woody Allen was able to turn Owen Wilson into an enjoyable leading man. I would've never thought that was possible!

Both these are highly profound points that should be circulating major publications. *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 25679 
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2013 9:59 am

I saw the movie "Stuck In Love" last night. Great cast, great script (Josh Boone), and a really good directing job by first time director Josh Boone. It's such a relatable film, since everyone has dealt with teenage angst and for those who are a product of divorce, then you will most certainly be able to relate. This is definitely one of my favorites from 2012.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2013 11:28 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
I saw the movie "Stuck In Love" last night. Great cast, great script (Josh Boone), and a really good directing job by first time director Josh Boone. It's such a relatable film, since everyone has dealt with teenage angst and for those who are a product of divorce, then you will most certainly be able to relate. This is definitely one of my favorites from 2012.

Yes, that was a good film.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 12:33 pm

I just watched the movie Jack Reacher, and I really liked it! This is painful for me, because I absolutely loathe Tom Cruise as a human being. With having said that, I can't lie, there aren't too many movies of his that I don't like. I won't pay to see his movies in the theater, but I will pony up at the video store. Does anyone have any thoughts on the movie "Oblivion", which he stars? I've thought about renting this one as well.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 12:36 pm

Here's an updated list for 2012:

Brilliant

The Impossible
Argo
Silver Linings Playbook
People Like Us
Dark Knight Rises
The Avengers
Zero Dark Thirty
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The First Time
Life of PI
Salmon Fishing In the Yemen
Liberal Arts
Ruby Sparks
Django Unchained
Not Fade Away

Almost Brilliant

Now Is Good
Safety Not Guaranteed
Peace, Love, & Misunderstanding
The Hunger Games
Brake
Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Lincoln
Chasing Mavericks
End of Watch
Looper
50/50
Prometheus
Ted
Robot & Frank
Your Sister's Sister
Jack Reacher
The Campaign
Killing Them Softly
Guilt Trip
Ten Years
Savages

Flawed but still enjoyable:

Flight
Man On a Ledge
The Campaign
Deadfall
Skyfall
The Tall Man
Arbitrage
Total Recall
The Words
Why Stop Now
Five Year Engagement
Seeking a Friend For the End of the World
This Is 40
Trouble With the Curve
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Bourne Legacy
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer
Cheerful Weather for the Wedding
Promised Land
Seven Psychopaths
Cabin In the Woods
On the Road

Average: Go to your local library to rent

The Lucky One
21 Jump Street
The Watch
Premium Rush
Girl In Progress
The Vow
Red Tails (Almost forgot this one....This is borderline don't bother. Great C.G.I., but terrible dialogue)
To Rome With Love
Take This Waltz
Taken 2
Killer Joe

Awful: Don't bother

Playing For Keeps
Lockout
Gone
American Reunion
The Odd Life of Timothy Green
Here Comes the Boom
Lay the Favorite (Absolutely the worst movie I've seen in a long time)
Lawless

Last edited by metalinmyveins on Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:36 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 12:47 pm

There are a few films completed in 2012 that technically weren't released until 2013 so they could be counted toward either year. Stuck In Love is one of those (as is Frances Ha and Thanks For Sharing).
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 12:51 pm

S.D. wrote:
There are a few films completed in 2012 that technically weren't released until 2013 so they could be counted toward either year.  Stuck In Love is one of those (as is Frances Ha and Thanks For Sharing).  

Yeah, I just looked on Wiki, and it is indeed a 2013 flick. I edited it, so when you or I (Ha ha) create the 2013 list, I will put it on that one. Have you seen "Oblivion"?

Last edited by metalinmyveins on Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 1:07 pm

Yes, I liked Oblivion, it borrows a little too heavily from Moon but overall is a very well-made film and worth watching.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 2:54 pm

I know that comedy is easily the most subjective when it comes to the different genres within cinema, but I'm starting to wonder about some of my friends, and what they think is comedy. I just saw the movie "Here Comes the Boom", and I don't actually remember laughing once. I liked the premise (being a former educator), but I couldn't wait for this thing to end. I was surprised to see the U.F.C. getting that involved in this flick, as I can't imagine they were that happy with the end result. Salma Hayek looked hot as ever, but don't let that be the reason you see this movie...
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2014 7:35 pm

This question goes out to you S.D:

If "Promised Land" debuted in the theaters in limited release on December 28th, 2012, but was released nationwide on January 4th, 2013, technically would this be on a 2012 list or a 2013 list? I just watched this last night...finally.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2014 7:53 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
This question goes out to you S.D:

If "Promised Land" debuted in the theaters in limited release on December 28th, 2012, but was released nationwide on January 4th, 2013, technically would this be on a 2012 list or a 2013 list? I just watched this last night...finally.

2012.  Limited release counts.  If the film had only played at festivals and not played theatrically (to the public) until January then it would be considered a 2013 release.

Eligibility for awards always hinges on theatrical release (technically a film only has to play in a single theater for 1 day to qualify).

The best place to check and be sure is Box Office Mojo. IMDB often lists the year of completion so it can be misleading. For example if you look up the film Violet & Daisy, IMDB has it listed as 2011 (the year it was completed) but it was not released until June 2013 so Box Office Mojo has it listed as 2013.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 3:16 pm

I just got done watching "Take This Waltz" with Michelle Williams and Seth Rogen. Though the performances were fairly strong, the movie offers a pretty damning view on relationships, especially the definition of what makes a good relationship, and how lazy couples have become when it comes to keeping things fresh and exciting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 4:01 pm

As much as I like Sarah Polley as an actress I really haven't been impressed with her directorial efforts, I thought Take This Waltz was a semi-interesting failure.

A much better film tackling some of the same ground is "Like Crazy".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: *Favorite Films of 2012*   *Favorite Films of 2012* - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

*Favorite Films of 2012*
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next