Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?

Go down 
+29
MetallicSeminarian
candlemass
Boris2008
metalinmyveins
metalheaded
Red Kitty
superjuice
jstate
sheets
ShadowAngel
Lazlo Toth
stormspell
stepcousin
arachnoplasma
Lari
Alex Dee Rokket
Witchfinder
ultmetal
mc666
Dark Horseman
BearOnUnicycle
Required Fields
Olafsto
MetalGuy71
manny
Shawn Of Fire
ghost
ZombieHavoc
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Empty
PostSubject: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 1:33 pm

I used to have it on vinyl. When my vinyl collection was sold, I never replaced it. I never really thought about it much.

Until this morning. I woke up with Vision Quest in my head, and really wanted to hear "Hungry for Heaven". So I just listened on YouTube. Then I was like, I need to hear more, so I listened to some other tracks.

I like this way better than I used to. Are you pro- or anti-Sacred Heart?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 1:43 pm

I honestly haven't heard it since 1986 or thereabouts. I was bitterly disappointed with that record when it first came out, I've never bothered to revisit it.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 1:44 pm

S.D. wrote:
I honestly haven't heard it since 1986 or thereabouts. I was bitterly disappointed with that record when it first came out, I've never bothered to revisit it.

Yeah, that's kind of why I started this. I knew it was a bit more divisive of a record than Holy Diver or Last in Line. And until today, I myself hadn't really even been thinking of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 1:49 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Yeah, that's kind of why I started this. I knew it was a bit more divisive of a record than Holy Diver or Last in Line. And until today, I myself hadn't really even been thinking of it.

Honestly, I'm not even that big of a The Last In Line fan, I think side one is good, side two...not so much.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 1:55 pm

I like Sacred Heart a lot and listen to it from time to time.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 1:57 pm

ghost wrote:
I like Sacred Heart a lot and listen to it from time to time.

+1

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 1:59 pm

S.D. wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Honestly, I'm not even that big of a The Last In Line fan, I think side one is good, side two...not so much.

Interesting. So as far as Dio's solo output, do you only like HD? Or do you like any of his later albums?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 2:02 pm

Like s.d. I was disappointed with the album at the time of its release but I did like it and still do but IMO not as strong as the first two Dio platters.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Never heard it. Never heard/owned any DIO albums for that matter, save for a 2 disc comp.

He was the man in Sabbath and Rainbow, but his solo output never did a thing for me. Too much Dungeons & Dragons-fare for my tastes.

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 2:09 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:

Interesting. So as far as Dio's solo output, do you only like HD? Or do you like any of his later albums?

Holy Diver is the best by far. I also like Dream Evil, Strange Highways and Angry Machines. Those last two I like because they are heavier and also because they have their own specific sound compared to the rest of his discography, I enjoy the change of pace they offer.

Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 2:18 pm

manny wrote:
Like s.d. I was disappointed with the album at the time of its release but I did like it and still do but IMO not as strong as the first two Dio platters.

Same here. But Shoot, shoot is unforgiveable Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28442

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 2:27 pm

I like it, but it does have one or two songs with filler (specifically Shoot Shoot). The title track is a masterpiece, though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 2:30 pm

Olafsto wrote:
manny wrote:

Same here. But Shoot, shoot is unforgiveable Laughing

Yea that song sucks
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 2:30 pm

2nd favorite album Dio album, only after "Dream Evil". A couple of meh tracks, but thats what for skip button is. Besides, the rest is killer material.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 2:36 pm

I don't really care much for Dream Evil, compared to most of his other output, so it's interesting to hear people rank it among their favorites.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39590

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 2:44 pm

Always like Sacred Heart but it's not up to par to what came before it (as stated). The title track, Rock N Roll Children and Hungry For Heaven are all essential Dio songs.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 2:49 pm

Hey, i'm not the only one that likes Angry Machines. Cool.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 3:00 pm

I'm more into the Tracy G era of Dio

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 3:08 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Hey, i'm not the only one that likes Angry Machines. Cool.

That album is the freshest to me, because I never heard it until a couple years ago. Strange Highways I always dug, but Angry Machines came out during the era when I had stopped paying attention to metal. I was pleasantly surprised how good it was when I finally heard it.

I think "Dying In America" is one of Dio's best songs from his solo career.

Nice to see a couple others also enjoy the Tracy G albums! The live album they released from this lineup is killer as well.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 3:52 pm

I like it. Of that era of DIO, I prefer Last in Line and Holy Diver, but Sacred Heart has its moments as well.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 3:54 pm

It was a big letdown at the time and Shoot, Shoot is one of the worst songs in Dio's catalog. Blechh. The album itself is decent with a couple of good tracks.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 4:37 pm

I own the original pressing and have heard it over the years. It is not bad but as many know, not great either when compared to the first 2 albums. The songwriting is solid but i find the production somewhat uneven. The production attempts to make this album more commercially accessible with the mtv scene. The heavy use of synths is also another pattern of this commercial approach.

Unfortunately, none of the songs really stand out. There are some exceptions but overall this album is easily overshadowed by the earlier Dio releases. Even Dream Evil and Lock Up The Wolves overshadow this album.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 4:41 pm

King Of Rock And Roll
Sacred Heart
Another Lie
Rock N Roll Children
Hungry For Heaven
Fallen Angels

All killer, IMO...

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 5:09 pm

I like Sacred Heart, but it's stuck between two superior records in Last in Line and Dream Evil.
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 7:01 pm

It has some good songs on it, but it's not really an album I listen to very often. The production kind of holds everything back and the songwriting doesn't feel as inspired as the first two.

It's not an atrocity or anything and I do listen to it occasionally, but there are far better Dio albums that preceded and followed it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?   Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you like Dio's Sacred Heart?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next