Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NLTM Aug '12 Update

Go down 
+8
DallasBlack
BearOnUnicycle
Gilbert
mc666
Dark Horseman
akeldama
Tur-Thalion
ultmetal
12 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

NLTM Aug '12 Update Empty
PostSubject: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 am

http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/updates.htm

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 12:47 pm

I like your updated review of Precious Death - If You Must. I had thought that your initial review was more harsh than necessary, because it's really a great album.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks. I agree.

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 1:10 pm

Nice reviews of "Minstrel In The Gallery" and the debut "Atomic Rooster" albums.

Vincent Crane was kicked out of Crazy World Of Arthur Brown during a US tour, Crane suffered from manic depression and evidently his behavior was too much for the band to handle so he was sent packing. Carl Palmer was so furious at the band firing him for this he left at the same time and they both returned to England and formed Atomic Rooster.

One other note, Vincent Crane actually plays all the guitar on the debut (except for the re-recorded tunes). Vincent was an amazing musician, I love how much acoustic piano is used in their arrangements in addition to the Hammond.

The UK music press dubbed Atomic Rooster's sound as "Heavy Prog".
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 1:38 pm

S.D. wrote:
Nice reviews of "Minstrel In The Gallery" and the debut "Atomic Rooster" albums.

Vincent Crane was kicked out of Crazy World Of Arthur Brown during a US tour, Crane suffered from manic depression and evidently his behavior was too much for the band to handle so he was sent packing. Carl Palmer was so furious at the band firing him for this he left at the same time and they both returned to England and formed Atomic Rooster.

One other note, Vincent Crane actually plays all the guitar on the debut (except for the re-recorded tunes). Vincent was an amazing musician, I love how much acoustic piano is used in their arrangements in addition to the Hammond.

The UK music press dubbed Atomic Rooster's sound as "Heavy Prog".

Gonna review Death Walks Behind You in the next update.

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 1:45 pm

Cool. My favorite Atomic Rooster album is "In Hearing Of" which is a must-own.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 5:46 pm

Great Atomic Rooster comments and I'm glad you like Engines Of Creation and that you looked beyond the Techno tag it gets. I think Joe really stretched out on EOC and had it been more conventional it'd be more highly regarded. There's a great live version of "Devil's Slide" on Live In SF.

I'm especially stoked to see some Wino beyond Place Of Skulls-With Vision, I wasn't sure how you felt about him.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 5:55 pm

Also, Anton Fig played drums on "Until We Say Goodbye".
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 7:01 pm

I always liked Flesh and Blood except for Unskinny Bop. Some fun songs mixed with serious stuff and not as silly as the first two albums.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 7:14 pm

nice to see you like Lillie: F-65. i think it's every bit as good as anything else in their catalog.

Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 4:19 am

Great review for UDO headbanger
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 5:27 am

Theres a little typo in Celebrator review: should be "Azrael". Too much UDO is never enough headbanger
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 11:26 am

mc666 wrote:
nice to see you like Lillie: F-65. i think it's every bit as good as anything else in their catalog.

I'm not sure what people wouldn't like about it. It sounds like it could have been the follow-up to Born Too Late.

Gilbert wrote:
Great review for UDO headbanger

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Theres a little typo in Celebrator review: should be "Azrael". Too much UDO is never enough headbanger

Thanks.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 6:40 pm

Suprised to see a lot of Poison on your update list. Somebody send you some CDs or did you find them dirt cheap somewhere?
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 6:45 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Suprised to see a lot of Poison on your update list. Somebody send you some CDs or did you find them dirt cheap somewhere?

Someone sent them to me. I also have Hollyweird that I need to add.

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 8:39 pm

You forgot to remove Leatherhead from your Wants List.
Also, got any other electronic stuff a la JMJ? Any of his other albums? Or maybe Oldfield or Kraftwerk, that you also mentioned you liked? How about Tangerine Dream?
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 8:56 pm

In the Rush review, you mention that 'Lee's vocals are quite as celestial as they once were', though I think you meant to add the word 'not' before quite.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 10:51 pm

Thanks Sutekh.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 10:52 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Also, got any other electronic stuff a la JMJ? Any of his other albums? Or maybe Oldfield or Kraftwerk, that you also mentioned you liked? How about Tangerine Dream?

Yes, I have a copy of Computer World coming. I have Tubular Bells on vinyl. Never cared much for Tangerine Dream.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 12:42 am

ultmetal wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:

Yes, I have a copy of Computer World coming. I have Tubular Bells on vinyl. Never cared much for Tangerine Dream.

Really?!?!?! Have you only heard TDs 80s stuff or the 70s material?? As much as you like Jean Michel Jarre(Maurice Jarre the movie composer is his father, btw), you might like Phaedra or Rubycon.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 10:13 am

chewie wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:

Really?!?!?! Have you only heard TDs 80s stuff or the 70s material?? As much as you like Jean Michel Jarre(Maurice Jarre the movie composer is his father, btw), you might like Phaedra or Rubycon.

I'm probably just not familiar enough with TD. JMJ was one of those albums I listened to alot as a kid, as was Kraftwerk's Computer World, Oldfield's Tubular Bells, etc. I have a nostalgia connection to all of them.

Which would you say is the one best TD CD to check out?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 10:14 am

Good to know I wasn't the only one to find the piano version of "Balls to the Wall" entertaining. Not sure how it works, but it does. Very strange. Haha.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 10:32 am

Eyesore wrote:
Good to know I wasn't the only one to find the piano version of "Balls to the Wall" entertaining. Not sure how it works, but it does. Very strange. Haha.

Yes, it's a fun track. Not something that I want to hear over and over again, but for what it is, I thought it was cool. That sort of oddball stuff is exactly what these odds and sods releases are for.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 11:29 am

ultmetal wrote:
chewie wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:

I'm probably just not familiar enough with TD. JMJ was one of those albums I listened to alot as a kid, as was Kraftwerk's Computer World, Oldfield's Tubular Bells, etc. I have a nostalgia connection to all of them.

Which would you say is the one best TD CD to check out?

I would start with Rubycon. The friend who talked me into listening to it called it "deep swamp music". That album is a definite journey with a beginning and end.

....and it has a really cool cover to boot!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Aug '12 Update   NLTM Aug '12 Update Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NLTM Aug '12 Update
Page 1 of 1