Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

US Festival?

Go down 
+7
Metal Misfit
thejokeriv
manny
Fat Freddy
James B.
speed101
11 posters
AuthorMessage
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 6:11 pm

Hi i was just watching little metal footage of this 1983 festival.I know there was one in 1982 also but why didnt they do anymore in say 1984 and on?Anyone know?thanks
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12620

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 6:27 pm

After the second one in 83'. Wozniak lost too much money. That is my guess. The line up in 83' (advertised as heavyy metal day) with Quiet Riot, Crue (pre-SHOUT w/tunes from that lp) Ozzy (first show with Jake), Triumph, Priest, Scorpions, and Van halen was one of the better shows I've ever seen..

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 8:58 pm

Yeah, I have an old ish of Circus magazine which has a wrap up of the '83 festival and it mentions that in spite of the strong attendance, the sponsors lost a sh*t load of money on it and that the festival's future was "in doubt."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Like FF and James B stated the Festival just lost a sh!t load of money, they gave Van Halen and David Bowie some huge paydays and the promoters basically lost their shirts, even selling the broadcasting rights to HBO did nothing to save their bottom line, lucky for them, they already had more money then God.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 8:32 am

The second one in 83' easily had over 100,000 heads on metal day

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 9:23 am

James B. wrote:
The second one in 83' easily had over 100,000 heads on metal day

Estimated 375,000 that day \m/ Still is the single day concert attendance record in the US

Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 11:15 am

Isn't the entire show getting a DVD/CD release? Or will it be packaged to focus on each individual artist?

I know Quiet Riot has one of it that recently came out.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 11:58 am

Metal Misfit wrote:
Isn't the entire show getting a DVD/CD release? Or will it be packaged to focus on each individual artist?

I doubt Van Halen wants their performance released..........
Back to top Go down

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 1:51 pm

It would be a logistical nightmare to secure the rights for any kind of "complete" set, too many different bands and record labels involved.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39590

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 2:13 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:

That would be awesome. I watched that thing back in the day on HBO. Would love to see it again.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Van Halen wasn't that bad IMHO

The Scorps stole the show IMHO with Triumph close behind

Priest wss Priest

Jake was the saving grace of Ozzy's set

The Crue looked like the heat was baking them in their new leather dudz

and Quiet Riot was well, Quiet Riot. Saw them two months later in Vegas and it was a better show for them.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 3:36 pm

Shout Factory acquired the rights to the entire show. So far they've released Quiet Riot, The English Beat, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson.

Pretty sure an issue of Classic Rock said the entire show was getting released at some point despite the red tape but I could be wrong. I left the issue at work.

I imagine there's a number of artists who wouldn't want this get out though.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 5:36 pm

There are many bootlegs of these performances out there...some are really good soundboard quality.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 5:42 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
There are many bootlegs of these performances out there...some are really good soundboard quality.

I was up front at the barricade for the entire day and there were professional camera crews filming everybody.

Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 9:37 pm

I know Triumph released there show. I have the CD with the bonus DVD that has a few videos on it and I do beleive they also released their set on DVD as well.

And like many I spent hours watching that on HBO it was a lot of fun as I remember it. I too would love to see an official full show release.
Back to top Go down

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 12:23 am

I just want an official release of Black Sabbath's set from the 1974 California Jam.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 9:08 am

I have a DVD bootleg of the Van Halen set, it is a long set but the performance is horrible, I am sure if you were actually there, then Van Halen must have been great, but seeing it on DVD, David Lee Roth misses vocal cues, slurs words, and talks too much, I know he tended to do that, but on other bootlegs I have it, it is not quite this extreme.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 4:15 pm

Quiet Riot has released their performance recently. Its a cd/dvd release. If I remember right they were the first band to play on metal day.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 9:04 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
Quiet Riot has released their performance recently. Its a cd/dvd release. If I remember right they were the first band to play on metal day.

The concert was promoted with Joe Walsh playing but Quiet Riot took his spot or maybe it was Crue ? And yeah, QR was opening slot.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 7:15 pm

Yeah, the QR DVD is cheaply priced at Amazon.com. Might have to pick that one up. And Triumph released their performance themselves which is available at http://www.triumphmusic.com

I too have a bootleg of several of the performances and it's an awesome show. Have also seen the "80's New Wave" segment on VH1 Classic.
Back to top Go down
ozzman
Metal novice
Metal novice
ozzman

Number of posts : 29

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 12:34 am

I was lucky to be backstage. I have a few photos but not much. I only went out front for the Clash on day one & before Triumph on day 2. I was afraid I would lose my pass & not get back in.

I have a picture of Frankie Banali & a couple of him & Rudy Sarzo. I took a picture Valerie Bertinelli but you can't tell it is her, Oh well.

I remember Van Halen was the worst band that day, Just a bad performance.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 11:46 am

Found this website...check it out...
http://www.rockshowvideos.com/usfestivaldvds.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

US Festival? Empty
PostSubject: Re: US Festival?   US Festival? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

US Festival?
Page 1 of 1