Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Revisiting Leatherwolf

Go down 
+15
tohostudios
Sutekh
krokus
Fat Freddy
Wurthless
Temple of Blood
Witchfinder
TheGreatDuck
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
BearOnUnicycle
kmorg
Lurideath
Dark Horseman
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Revisiting Leatherwolf Empty
PostSubject: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 12:18 pm

Listening to the second self title album, with songs like Rise or Fall and Cry Out why weren't these guys huge? Fit into the Leppard camp of about that time with even a little more grit at times. And I really enjoy New World Asylum, maybe more modern but not so bad it ruined them, kind of like how Tesla does it.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 12:26 pm

The triple guitar attack was great although I found a lot of their songs quite weak. Mainly the singing. What did you think of the World Asylum album with Wade Black on vocals? You mentioned New World Asylum which is a re-recording of Wold Asylum but with Michael Oliveri back on vocals.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 12:36 pm

Honestly, I can't even tell the World Asylum and New World asylum albums apart. I'd dare anyone to a blind test to see if they can hear much of a difference between the two.

Leatherwolf were great! Unfortunatly they had a crap name (for their brand of metal anyways), and they were a little too late, I think.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 12:41 pm

I like them. Pretty solid music and I don't find the vocals to be weak at all. I've always wondered why they released 2 self titled albums in a row? I still have yet to hear World Asylum/New World Asylum.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 1:59 pm

Street Ready owns. Needed like 12 spins to finally get into Very Happy, but then the guitar attack won me over. Agree that Oliveri was the weakest point, though he fits in their sound.
And why they didn't use "Share a Dream" instead of "Cry Out" is beyond me - the ballad is a monster.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 2:15 pm

I only heard the version with Oliveri on it and didn't feel the need to own it twice.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 2:22 pm

After years of hearing how great these guys were and the whole "triple-axe attack", when I finally obtained a copy of Street Ready, (about 2 or 3 years ago) I was massivly disappointed at how clean and polished it sounded. To me, it sounded like any other radio-ready slick hair band at the time of it's initial release (1989).

I sold it off for a handsome profit and haven't really heard much else from them since. I've been told by many fine folks here that their earlier albums had more grit to them and that Street Ready was their attempt at a more main-stream sound. That may be true, but unless I stumble upon a copy at a used shop or while digging holes in my backyard, I may never know. And I'm ok with that.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 2:24 pm

I think they're great but like Kmorg mentioned a little late to the game.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 2:54 pm

They released their debut in 1985, how is that late?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 4:26 pm

I really like everything they have released, including Street Ready. Their first S/T album is great, traditional Metal. I thought they had a really cool traditional metal/glam thing going on in their releases.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 6:58 pm

"Behind the Gun" is a great song.

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 7:11 pm

I like a few of these guys' songs, but I've never heard a full album. "Alone in the Night" is a great song, as is "Rise and Fall".
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 10:11 am

TheGreatDuck wrote:

It was released on a very small indie label, with one of the ugliest album covers to boot, so it was no wonder it didn't make an impact.

2 years later they finally land a deal, and records the next album for Island Records. 2 of the 5 members are replaced, and the whole image of the band is transformed. Thrash is now all the rage in metal, and Leatherwolf are somewhat left in limbo, looking like a glam band, but playing heavy metal with emphasis on heavy!

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 11:07 am

That makes sense but too bad.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 2:57 pm

I had a Leatherwolf album years 'n' years ago (I believe it was the self titled Island release) ... if memory serves it was rather generic stuff so I ended up trading it off.

...which was probably a st00pid move cuz as I understand it their CDs go for pretty good coin on eBay nowadays, so whoever I traded it to probably turned it around for a chunk of change.

Sigh. Live and learn.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 3:30 pm

kmorg wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:

It was released on a very small indie label, with one of the ugliest album covers to boot, so it was no wonder it didn't make an impact.

2 years later they finally land a deal, and records the next album for Island Records. 2 of the 5 members are replaced, and the whole image of the band is transformed. Thrash is now all the rage in metal, and Leatherwolf are somewhat left in limbo, looking like a glam band, but playing heavy metal with emphasis on heavy!

I have their mini lp released back in 1984, later in 1985 their first fulllength album came out with the same from cover strange enough. I like their early releases but also STREET READY.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 3:47 pm

kmorg wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:

Still, some of the songs such as Hideaway or The Calling were melodic, not too far from bands like Dokken... And besides, Crimson Glory, Queensryche, WASP, and even King Diamond's band looked kinda glammy, yet played heavy metal (also, I personally don't really consider hair/glam to be a genre of music).
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 6:01 pm

The second album had a mix of sounds -some metallic tracks, some Leppard-like, and a fairly ordinary cover tune (and of course the generic 80s hard rock look). It's like the band wasn't sure which sound they wanted to pursue, resulting in an inconsistent album.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 6:05 pm

I like Street Ready but I agree it is basically hair metal with a slightly more metal edge. I also have the S/T from 87(?) and the cover of CCR's Bad Moon Rising is great IMO.

Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 11:19 pm

Only one I have is Street Ready, which I bought when it was a new release. Hunted around for the earlier stuff for a while, but could never find it. Street Ready's a solid album, though.
Back to top Go down
Coram Deo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

Number of posts : 254

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 11:31 pm

Infinite wrote:
Only one I have is Street Ready, which I bought when it was a new release. Hunted around for the earlier stuff for a while, but could never find it. Street Ready's a solid album, though.

Similar for me as well. I first heard Wicked Way's on the local college radio station, I thought that song was very good. It got me hooked in, and I began a search to figure out who it was. I didn't think that song sounded all too hair metal to me. The other songs on the album could swing that way. I still listen to Street Ready a few times a year, as well as D.A.D. - No Fuel Left for the Pilgrims. Classic goodies for me to bring out every once in a while......
Back to top Go down
http://annoyedelephants.wordpress.com/
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 8:35 am

No Fuel is a great album! Ask Fat Freddy.

But we still have no idea what "ZCMI" means.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

Number of posts : 254

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 9:05 am

tohostudios wrote:

Lol. No kidding. He's a high flyin guy.
Back to top Go down
http://annoyedelephants.wordpress.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 10:11 am

tohostudios wrote:

Yea, now that's an album I can get behind. D.A.D.'s No Fuel... is a great album, as is the follow-up Riskin' It All.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 1:35 pm

tohostudios wrote:

...maybe not, but at least thanks to D.A.D., we now know that they throw the best damn parties at the Rim of Hell. Oh Lord, you can tell by the smell.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Revisiting Leatherwolf   Revisiting Leatherwolf Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Revisiting Leatherwolf
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next