Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Deep Purple

Go down 
+35
Gilbert
Boris2008
mikeinfla
ShadowAngel
brokentulsa
candlemass
akeldama
Glower
bass63
the sentinel
Orion Crystal Ice
journeyman
MetallicSeminarian
MetalGuy71
stepcousin
Andy
Ricky
Speedmetalfreak
chewie
exact33
GrandNational
Lari
Temple of Blood
Shawn Of Fire
thejokeriv
Required Fields
dark avenger
manny
MoonChild
MEGATRON
adrian
James B.
Olafsto
fingers
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Deep Purple - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 6:52 pm

James B. wrote:
I may be mistaken but most of Deep Purples early 70's stuff was a Hammond organ played through a Leslie Cabinet.

I thought that he played through a Marshall Stack or Half Stack...... Or did a he use a Marshall Amp to a Leslie? or both?

I love the GNARLY organ sound that Lord got!! Ken Hensley(Uriah Heep) might have gotten close to his sound.

I should have read further SD answered my question.
Back to top Go down
Speedmetalfreak
Metal student
Metal student
Speedmetalfreak

Number of posts : 126

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 12:53 am

I developped a taste for deep purple during the last couple of years. My favourite song is child in time.

No one can beat Gillan's vocals.

I also consider Slaves and Masters to be a great album. Cut runs deep is a marvelous tune!
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 2:29 am

Speedmetalfreak wrote:

No one can beat Gillan's vocals.

cool headbanger
Back to top Go down
Ricky
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ricky

Number of posts : 255

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 3:52 pm

S.D. wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
At their best they're amazing. But their catalog is spotty and they are WAY too self-indulgent. They love long jams, which was far more popular in the 60s. I don't think most folks have the attention span for this any more, especially in the hard rock/metal music scene.

Speak for yourself, not all metal fans have short attention spans. I prefer bands that jam and improvise, duplicating your studio albums note for note in concert gets pretty damn dull after awhile.

Improvisation doesn't necessarily equal self-indulgence. ...yeah Deep Purple - Page 2 604261
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 6:36 pm

In Rock, Machine Head, Burn, Perfect Strangers and In the House of Blue Light are brilliant albums and are essential to your collection. You're probably listening to Stormbringer or something.

The band had a seminal influence on the forthcoming New Wave of British Heavy Metal and are stand as one of the creators of the heavy metal genre, not just in musical style, but also attitude. Huge PA's, eclectic guitar player, etc. all stem from the giant that is Deep Purple.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Speaking of Stormbringer, while not their best album I consider the title track a favorite of mine!
Back to top Go down
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 6:51 pm

Stormbringer is definitely a grower. I found it disappointing at first, but ended up revisiting it a few months ago and now I love it

Last edited by MEGATRON on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 6:57 pm

I love Deep Purple, especially the '70-'74 years. Gimme a 30 minute "Hard Road-Wring That Neck" jam anyday!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 9:13 pm

stepcousin wrote:
I love Deep Purple, especially the '70-'74 years. Gimme a 30 minute "Hard Road-Wring That Neck" jam anyday!!

headbanger

Back to top Go down
Ricky
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ricky

Number of posts : 255

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 11:59 am

Made in Japan is a great live album
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 12:10 pm

Ricky wrote:
Made in Japan is a great live album

My 2nd favorite live album of all time.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 10:22 am

I saw Fireball (original) and Burn (re-issue w/bonus tracks) in the used bins of FYE. Should I venture back and get them both? The only DP I have is Machine Head and a Best of comp.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 10:34 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I saw Fireball (original) and Burn (re-issue w/bonus tracks) in the used bins of FYE. Should I venture back and get them both? The only DP I have is Machine Head and a Best of comp.

YES. Fireball is a bit more "progressive" than most other things Mach II did, but it kills and has several songs that are simply amazing. Burn is also awesome and a bit more bluesy than their previous albums. Plus, Coverdale and Hughes give some amazing vocals on the album.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 10:41 am

"Strange Kind of Woman" from Fireball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAzjVdD06z8

"Sail Away" from Burn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0o_31-4DNU
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 10:43 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Burn is one of their best in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 10:47 am

Thanks for those. I recognize 'Strange Kind of Woman'. That one might be on the "Hits" album.

Since watching their 'Behind the Music', my interest in 'Purp has been rekindled. I think I need to start expanding my collection a wee bit more. Start with their "prime 70's stuff" and go from there when I can.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 10:49 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Thanks for those. I recognize 'Strange Kind of Woman'. That one might be on the "Hits" album.

Since watching their 'Behind the Music', my interest in 'Purp has been rekindled. I think I need to start expanding my collection a wee bit more. Start with their "prime 70's stuff" and go from there when I can.

In Rock is probably my favorite from the Mach II lineup. I also really like Stormbringer even though it's a bit more blues/funk based than its predecessors. For the 80s era both Perfect Strangers and The House of Blue Light are great (even though the House of Blue Light has a blatant 80s style production job). The Battle Rages On from the early 90s and Bananas from the early 2000s are good, as well.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 1:35 pm

Deep Purple is one of my top favorite bands, but it wasn't always that way. The last couple of years I've really grown to love the sound that is Deep Purple. Each album is different and has it's own personality and vibe which is one of the things I appreciate now. Growing up I was all about the guitar and sharing the soundscape didn't really appeal. Now, that has all changed and Jon Lord and Don Airey are cool cats that I like as much as Ritchie, Tommy, and Steve. I like all of the albums and for different reasons. It did take a while for me to warm to the Coverdale/Hughes era. Ian Gillan is my idea of what a vocalist is all about. The changes the band has been through is rather crazy, but it works. Not many bands have a story like that of Deep Purple. From Hush to Lazy and then meeting Lucy the samurai, oh my. In Rock and Machine Head are held in high regard and for good reason, but the band has many more shades and layers that, if explored, will surely please.

Ritchie played semi-clean if going into a Marshall could ever be considered clean. The man was just simply amazing and certainly changed me. I even ruined a guitar doing the whole scallop thing. Jon made Ritchie shine and vice versa.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 1:47 pm

Well, to OP, you don't need to feel bad or weird for not liking something no matter what it is. As long as you are giving something an honest chance, NON-biased, et cetera.......If it doesn't click, then it doesn't click, maybe it will click later, maybe it won't. There's tons of machinations that go into how a lot of people enjoy music and unfortunately they don't all always have to do with the music itself. Make sure your reasons do and you're closer to piecing together the puzzle.

Deep Purple is wonderful, but I know I couldn't get a 2-3 page thread going with some bands I love to death but others can't get into, so that discussion/thread size shouldn't be influencing you. Keep it factual, keep it in your gut, check the facts, check the discussion, do what you feel. If you take the discussion as making it obligatory for you to like something, that's not what metal is or should be all about at all - which is a concentration and celebration of the individual in a romantic viewpoint.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 1:51 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Well, to OP, you don't need to feel bad or weird for not liking something no matter what it is. As long as you are giving something an honest chance, NON-biased, et cetera.......If it doesn't click, then it doesn't click, maybe it will click later, maybe it won't. There's tons of machinations that go into how a lot of people enjoy music and unfortunately they don't all always have to do with the music itself. Make sure your reasons do and you're closer to piecing together the puzzle.

Deep Purple is wonderful, but I know I couldn't get a 2-3 page thread going with some bands I love to death but others can't get into, so that discussion/thread size shouldn't be influencing you. Keep it factual, keep it in your gut, check the facts, check the discussion, do what you feel. If you take the discussion as making it obligatory for you to like something, that's not what metal is or should be all about at all - which is a concentration and celebration of the individual in a romantic viewpoint.
Cool.....
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 10:04 am

Any thoughts on this 2 cd live release?

Deep Purple - Page 2 Deep_Purple_-In_Concert

Saw a used copy last night at the mall and thought about picking it up but put it back for now.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 10:24 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Saw a used copy last night at the mall and thought about picking it up but put it back for now.

I have it and enjoy it. If the price is right you should buy it. Good track list from the MK II line up; and if I remember correctly, each cd is a different gig. I have put a moratorium on buying any more Live DP (or Rainbow for that matter) as I have about 20 different albums. Also, be careful as a lot of DP live albums are the same shows released under different titles with different artwork for different regions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 12:21 pm

the sentinel wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I have it and enjoy it. If the price is right you should buy it. Good track list from the MK II line up; and if I remember correctly, each cd is a different gig. I have put a moratorium on buying any more Live DP (or Rainbow for that matter) as I have about 20 different albums. Also, be careful as a lot of DP live albums are the same shows released under different titles with different artwork for different regions.

Both concerts were broadcast on the BBC. Disc 1 is from 1970. Disc 2 is from 1972. This collection goes back to the LP era, it was significantly expanded and remixed for the 2012 CD issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Purple_in_Concert
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 12:55 pm

If I get back to the mall this weekend and it's still there, I'll probably grab it. Seemed like a decent set for the price.

Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 1:47 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Great live album. I love all eras of DP & also own quite a bit of their live stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple   Deep Purple - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deep Purple
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next