Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Record Labels

Go down 
+6
snooloui
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
A Handful of Wayne
Shawn Of Fire
Alex Dee Rokket
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

Record Labels Empty
PostSubject: Record Labels   Record Labels Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 8:16 pm

Just curious, does it matter to you whether an album was released via a particular label? I'm asking because in 2011 I purchased a bunch of albums which were released via Icarus and some via Scarecrow. Both of these are labels from Latin America that distribute albums released by Nuclear Blast, Century Media and Metal Blade elsewhere in other parts of the world.

They are legit copies but rather than having the Nuclear Blast (etc.) logo on the spine, it says Icarus. Is this something of importance to you as a collector - does it bother you if you purchase an album and it is released via a different label/distributor than you originally anticipated?

In this case I had no way of knowing as the store in question, which happened to be local, advertised the albums as being released on Nuclear Blast (etc.) and made no mention of the distributor. Price is not always an indication, I have seen albums released via Icarus that cost about the same (or more in some cases) as those released via a European or American distributor for Nuclear Blast.

Incidentally, do you own any albums released via Icarus or Scarecrow and if so what is your impression of the packaging and the product? Personally, I cannot tell any real difference (other than my comment re. the spine).
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Record Labels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Labels   Record Labels Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm

I have a copy of Crucible Of Man, bought from Newbury Comics, that is on Scarecrow...not a big deal, really. Came with a poster and everything...seems legit.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Record Labels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Labels   Record Labels Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 10:20 pm

I have a bunch of those and I dont see a difference. As far as I know its all the same. As long as its not a CDR I dont care.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

Record Labels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Labels   Record Labels Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 10:21 pm

I'm kinda in two mindsets - you're right as long as it's not a CDR at the same time I just think I prefer the German or US made cds, not sure why maybe because I am just used to having those in my collection.

Ah it's one of those nitpicking habits I need to rid myself of lol
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

Record Labels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Labels   Record Labels Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 10:43 pm

I don't give a crap if it's an American, Japanese, Russian, Chinese, South American, or Martian pressing - if it's a CD I don't have and the price is right, I'll take it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Record Labels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Labels   Record Labels Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 10:59 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
I'm kinda in two mindsets - you're right as long as it's not a CDR at the same time I just think I prefer the German or US made cds, not sure why maybe because I am just used to having those in my collection.

Ah it's one of those nitpicking habits I need to rid myself of lol

haha yea I know what you mean but you can only drive yourself nuts only so much. its something so insignifficant its not even worth worrying about it. I look at it this way now, since cds are slowly dying and they eventually won't be worth even half of what we are paying for them now who cares. Like Freddy says if the price is right then I'll take it.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Record Labels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Labels   Record Labels Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 12:18 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I don't give a crap if it's an American, Japanese, Russian, Chinese, South American, or Martian pressing - if it's a CD I don't have and the price is right, I'll take it.

I'm with you! It's not like in the days of cassette and vinyl when you don't know if you are getting a decent quality recording of the album for the other countries. I had friend in the Navy back in the late 80's/early 90's and they would come back from cruises with tons of cassettes they bought cheap in other countries (most where probably boots) and the recordings sounded like crap - like a 4th generation of a cassette recording of the vinyl. As long as it's not a CDR I am good.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

Record Labels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Labels   Record Labels Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 1:13 pm

It doesn't really bother me what label it is as long as it's a legit version. I'll try and get the same versions within an artist's discography though i.e. if they have original and remastered versions on different labels i'll try and get one or the other.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Record Labels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Labels   Record Labels Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 4:27 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I have a bunch of those and I dont see a difference. As far as I know its all the same. As long as its not a CDR I dont care.

same here.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Record Labels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Labels   Record Labels Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 10:14 am

Quote :
Just curious, does it matter to you whether an album was released via a particular label?

Nope.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Record Labels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Labels   Record Labels Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 10:50 am

Usually I go after Japenese pressings whenever I can get them because of the superior sound quality. Other then that, the only label I've collected is Under One Flag releases.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Record Labels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Labels   Record Labels Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 11:05 am

No.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Record Labels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Labels   Record Labels Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Record Labels
Page 1 of 1